• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What IS tactical?

Ripsnortr said:
91471d1330173144-tacticool-tacky-12-dec-002.jpg

Nice!

So they DO make extended mags now... :lol:

I have a little extra weight around the middle of me.

I've decided I'm no longer fat so much as I'm tactically plump. The tactical part of me is padding that may help protect me against both bladed weapons and firearms. While making identifying vitals more difficult, blades and projectiles will have to penetrate deeper! :D Thats not fat, thats tactical!!!

...plus you're better insulated for survival in cooler weather. If that ain't tactical I don't know what is...

1 I like the skinner!
2 The light may be too far back. Looks as if it may cast ALOT of shadow!
3 The BUG is a nice touch, but I hope its a left handed shooter, or OUCH!

Otherwise a very nice HD set up, and nicely done! ;)

Rossignol said:
I have a little extra weight around the middle of me.

I've decided I'm no longer fat so much as I'm tactically plump. The tactical part of me is padding that may help protect me against both bladed weapons and firearms. While making identifying vitals more difficult, blades and projectiles will have to penetrate deeper! :D Thats not fat, thats tactical!!!

Fatical... :lol:

This guy has got the market cornered on "Tactical", just watch how he practices with the side mounted sights, even has two bipods on that rifle so he can shoot in either prone position and the optics are well suited for the distance he practices for in his back yard. And also behold that pile of brass!!!

Head to toe, that guy is ready to roll out! Even has a bottle opener... you know for when youre thirsty n stuff.

[youtube]and the optics are well suited for the distance he practices for in his back yard[/youtube]

OK, I wasn't going to mention it, but...

I know a guy who thinks that he has to have six ARs and six AKs with 10,000 rounds or he's not ready for SHTF day. Really... masses of hi-cap mags, fast loading gear, etc. His shotguns could have defeated the Taliban all by themself, and he owns nine of them. Every one is fully rigged with ATI six way adjustable stock, extra ammo carriers, Surefire light, laser, and optical sight. He's constantly talking about "handling things in a tactical situation", which means if he ever gets a legal excuse to shoot at someone. His WEAPONS are totally ready for war. Two ninth grade girls got into a fight in his classroom once, and he left to get help...I had to go stop it for him.

I have a shotgun. It has a light, because I live in the country and get varmints in the yard, and even on the porch. It has a black stock because that's what was on it when I swapped for it. It has a sling because I sometimes need both hands to carry targets and ammo out back to my range. It's a 20 gauge because I think that's adequate for anything I'll ever have to shoot, including if necessary people. I don't care if you're a raccoon or Mr T, a round of #3 buck will ruin your evening.

My friend with all the guns thinks I'm foolishly unready. I think he looks like one of those morons whose mom has to pick them up from school for their safety, but they wear Harley t-shirts to class.

And just where would world class sailors be without a trusted tactician ?

Fail to plan - plan to fail ! RFP 2 CYA is my formula :roll:

TACTICAL TYPES
Let me preface this by saying that it's going to make some people really mad. Let me also say that I know this stuff from long experience of all of these types of folks. I have been a Marine in combat. I have been an instructor at a law enforcement academy. I have been around guns and gun people for nearly all of my 63 years.

TYPE 1. GUNS ARE TOOLS. There are people for whom tactical is a duty requirement...LEOs, service people, etc; those in positions where you actually need to do stuff, and do it better/faster/harder than other prepared people. They are trained by pros and know what gear works. They should have the best we can invent. That's mission tactical.

TYPE 2. GUNS ARE INSURANCE POLICIES. There are people for whom tactical is a slight convenience; they have reason to make preparations for emergency, and a sling and light (e.g.) are handy. Other than that, the shotgun is there for the same reason grandpa kept his. Then they hope never to need it. That's life in the country...or the big city. Yup, there are bad guys sometimes. Nope, nobody needs NATO-issue combat gear to handle them. A shotgun or handgun and the ability to use it competently and appropriately are all that's called for. That's homeowner tactical.

TYPE 3. GUNS ARE FUN. There are people for whom tactical is about new stuff, and trying it out. They don't actually ever expect to use any of the stuff, but it's cool to mess with, and it's there if they ever should happen to need it. They collect gear. It's their money. That's hobby tactical.

TYPE 4. Then there are people who spend huge amounts of time and money on gear and training in the secret hope that they will get the chance to shoot someone someday, and they prepare to massively overdo it. They believe that you aren't ready for a burglar unless you have 50 rounds of 00 at hand and have trained relentlessly for a combat reload. They have spent endless hours running full-on three-gun combat courses in Michigan because that's how you learn to deal with a home invasion. They believe you need a strobe, a laser and a red dot to handle a bad guy in the hall outside the bedroom. They believe that your shotgun won't protect you properly if you can't adjust the stock six ways, and fold it away under your jockstrap. Defending their home requires a weapon that'll reach 600 meters, in the dark, through concrete block, even though they live on a 75 foot lot in the burbs. These are people who want to shoot someone. I'll let you all name this category yourselves, if you want.

mikeoso said:
TACTICAL TYPES
Let me preface this by saying that it's going to make some people really mad. Let me also say that I know this stuff from long experience of all of these types of folks. I have been a Marine in combat. I have been an instructor at a law enforcement academy. I have been around guns and gun people for nearly all of my 63 years.

TYPE 1. GUNS ARE TOOLS. There are people for whom tactical is a duty requirement...LEOs, service people, etc; those in positions where you actually need to do stuff, and do it better/faster/harder than other prepared people. They are trained by pros and know what gear works. They should have the best we can invent. That's mission tactical.

TYPE 2. GUNS ARE INSURANCE POLICIES. There are people for whom tactical is a slight convenience; they have reason to make preparations for emergency, and a sling and light (e.g.) are handy. Other than that, the shotgun is there for the same reason grandpa kept his. Then they hope never to need it. That's life in the country...or the big city. Yup, there are bad guys sometimes. Nope, nobody needs NATO-issue combat gear to handle them. A shotgun or handgun and the ability to use it competently and appropriately are all that's called for. That's homeowner tactical.

TYPE 3. GUNS ARE FUN. There are people for whom tactical is about new stuff, and trying it out. They don't actually ever expect to use any of the stuff, but it's cool to mess with, and it's there if they ever should happen to need it. They collect gear. It's their money. That's hobby tactical.

TYPE 4. Then there are people who spend huge amounts of time and money on gear and training in the secret hope that they will get the chance to shoot someone someday, and they prepare to massively overdo it. They believe that you aren't ready for a burglar unless you have 50 rounds of 00 at hand and have trained relentlessly for a combat reload. They have spent endless hours running full-on three-gun combat courses in Michigan because that's how you learn to deal with a home invasion. They believe you need a strobe, a laser and a red dot to handle a bad guy in the hall outside the bedroom. They believe that your shotgun won't protect you properly if you can't adjust the stock six ways, and fold it away under your jockstrap. Defending their home requires a weapon that'll reach 600 meters, in the dark, through concrete block, even though they live on a 75 foot lot in the burbs. These are people who want to shoot someone. I'll let you all name this category yourselves, if you want.

Although not an LE or any other professional who uses weapons OTJ, my guns ARE tools. So I guess I'm a Type 1/2/3. They are insurance policies (that I hope I never need to use) and they are fun. I probably have more than I need but not to the extreme. Most of the guns I have were handed down to me. I've only purchased new 3 guns (2 shotguns and a rifle) and 1 usd one (pistol). They are all functional and can do the job if needed. The 2 newest were purchased this year (the last was in the early 90's) and just because I figured it was now or never (politics).

As for Type 4, I'm not sure what title to use. If I knew someone like that I'd know where to go to get extra ammo if the need ever arose...j/k... ;)

Back