• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the 'bes'modification to your 930?

Lots of shooter's Wil add a Mod to there gun to improve performance of the standard factory parts to something that upgrades

Make changes when you know what you need and why.

Different guns/different people/diffident goals.

Never make a change for the sake of making a change!
What @mingaa said... Find out what you do and do not like on a gun after shooting it for awhile. Then make those changes. If you can not figure out what changes to make for it to work for you then you would be asking the right questions. Also some times you have to adapt to a firearm and not the other way.

So far the only changes I have made to my JM Pro is to have the lifter welded. So I do not catch my thumb when I load the shells. Also I placed a sticker on the stock. The sticker is to make it easier to spot my JM Pro if it is on the safe table with others. I ordered a Matchsaverz to stick on to my hand guard, but it has been about 3 weeks since I ordered it and wondering if it will show up. I may get around to polishing a few pieces on the inside.

I added guntape.com grip tape decals to the handguard and a strip on the back of the stock where my palm rests. That and I drilled a hole in the side of the stock and mounted a swivel there instead of using a single point or putting it on the bottom. If I had to pick one, I would probably say the sling mount has made the biggest difference. The grip tape in a close second. I have a limbsaver too and it was definitely worth the money. The ETA tactical safety is pretty great. I have one on both of my Mossbergs but their service is really awful. It took 13 days for me to get my order for the 590's safety. 9 days just to ship it, no response to emails. I also bought a 1" diameter rubber washer to help retain the magazine tube since there's no ball detent on the handguard. It doesn't come loose anymore when I shoot.

I started putting extended safeties and skateboard tape on my Mossys back when the only extended safety was the Quake plastic one, probably early 90's. They are still on my scoped hunting shotguns as they extend off to one side instead of both sides. My non scopes guns all have the ETA or S&J Hardware, which is virtually identical. I would say that the safety is the best mod, then skateboard tape, then a quality recoil pad.

The best mod I have done was add Mesa's Urbino stock to it. The next best was the Aimpoint R-1 Micro. The 930 tactical has useless sights as is.

OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube and a Nordic Components Charging Handle are the only mods I've made to my 930.

Actually I have "made" others but these are the only ones that still remain. I did add a SPX barrel and sight at oe time but removed them as I found I really do not light GR sights on a shotgun, they make me left my head to much to see them. I'm kind of stuck in my ways after years of wing/clay shooting.

I like the NC charging handle a lot but it did fly out of the bolt once. I was very lucky to find it in the field where I was shooting. It hasn't happened again but it does not fit quite as tight as the factory handle.

The OR3GUN tube seems well made. I bought it for an issue I know existed but hopefully will not experience now.

My mods are:

Marine spacer tube(s)
wolff HD spring
935 slugger stock
GG&G side saddle
hfd2 follower
Or3gun retainer
s&j oversized safety
and I'm waiting my Limbsaver this supposed to be delivered today.

My favorite so far are the stock and safety. They compliment each other well. I'm sure I'll love it even more when the limbsaver is installed on it.

GG&G follower and Or3gun spacer tube. Follower solved my sporadic loading to capacity syptom. Afraid I'll never see the benefits of the spacer tube since my 930 has no problem cycling the lighter loads and I seldom fire magnum loads. Maybe it will be easier to keep my mag tube clean.

The Guntape looks interesting. .I might have to experiment with it on my 930. Each mod I have done all have made my 930 better/easier to for me to use. Adding a Limbsaver was the most dramatic especially when using slugs and magnum loads .Next was Truglo fiber optic sights and a Choate Mark 5 pg stock . This is the first gun I've made major changes to make it work better for me. I bought mine in 2009 before the JM series came out and mine ended up being close to a 24 " JM pro .I better understand now why so many people modify there guns themselves instead of just buying a factory model that might or might not suit there needs .Budget is a factor too as well, I could not afford much more than the basic gun at that time.

Last edited:
All great stuff. I wish you guys would all post pictures. I am learning a lot. Mine will be ready soon and I will post pictures.

Pictures you say?

Put an ATI Raven stock on my 930 Tactical to help improve my cheek weld when using the red dot and it's been great...

Also added a Meprolight Tru-Dot tritium bead, Nordic Comp +2 extension, NC oversized charging handle, and I have an OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube on the way.

Best (and only) modification I made to my JM Pro was the Mossberg Owners logo sticker I put on the stock...

Back