• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Is The Best 3 Gun Shotgun Setup???

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
As the title states what is the best 3 gun shotgun setup? I will be setting up a Mossberg 590A1 with 20" barrel (Model # 51668) for this season.

51668.jpg

Did you get it yet!!!?

I dunno, Mike Shain says he runs the 590A1 too, but many use an auto loader and extended mag tube, I've seen some with as much as 10 rounds in the mag.

Unless you are running in the heavy division if you want to be competitive the only way to do so is with a semi-auto gun. I love my 930SPX for this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I run a 930 - not the JM Pro version, but I have modded mine to have some of the same characteristics while changing some things to suit me. I think based on mods, ease of shooting and combinations out there, it's hard to beat at the price. It isn't the most popular (I think because of some of the initial issues that the 930 is infamous for) but the guys who have them running good run them very well.

I did use a pump initially before I switched to the 930 - there are some advantages in loading (no thumb catcher like on the 930) but you just can't be as fast pulling the trigger. The other thing you can't do with an auto is easily mod the buttstock - like doing a Knoxx on a 500, etc. It is good enough, however, if you are using your 590 for other things as well.

My old 500 still works really well in that regard. Still in stock condition 'cept for a limbsaver (should call that a "shoulder saver")...

I use my 930 24" turkey. I defeat the ports with mild steel sheeting (painted with hi-temp black) and two barrel/mag clamps - this is fine at the club level to keep out of the open class. I have a Nordic +4 extension (9+1), Williams Fire Sights (they do most things well!) and a 6 shell side saddle. Personal Tac equipment - what I have vs what I'd like to try is another story. I'm domewhere in the middle.

I plan to do receiver modifications to aid loading - a key element in the larger 3-Gun picture.

KISS is the plan. I may shorten the barrel (and re-tap for chokes) in the future but IMHO 24" is not too much barrel for the sport. I'm 6' & 260 and may notice the size of the gun less than others.

I am working on setting up my 24 in JM Pro. First I sent the lifter off so I won't catch my thumb. I am putting a Matchsaverz near the ejection port. Maybe once I am ready to kick things up another level, I will open up the loading port a little more.

All depnds on you division. Heavy Metal, you'll want a nice pump. Any other division and you'll eventually want to get a semi auto. JM Pro's can run great if you kow how to tune them, and I just posted a how to. Benelli M2's if you can afford them.

Back