• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the shortest vent-rib accuchoke barrel made?

Allan DeGroot

Copper BB
I'm more than a little curious.

After much thought and reflection I've decided I really want a 20", 22"or 24" Vent-rib accuchoke barrel...

The option of a short FULL Choke barrel (but not being forced to full choke) is what I seek, what is out there?

If you've ever seen what is left of a Rabbit after it takes a full choke pattern of #6's at 20yards isn't pretty or even useful...

But woods hunting in a buckshot area with a 30" barrel isn't much better

The O.F. Mossberg site shows a 20" all purpose barrel with a matte finish but also shows it as "Out of Stock" at $207, as do BOTH variants of their 24" Accuchoke barrels

Last edited:
Not sure off hand.

You can buy a cheap long barrel and have it cut/choke tubes installed for under $200 if you shop around.

My local gun smith charges less than $100 for choke tube installation. Rose Action Sports charges around $100. He did one of mine and it was perfect.

For $200 you can buy the tools to do it yourself. Worth every penny if you plan on repeating this process more then 2 times.

Not exactly sure what you mean about wanting a full choke, but not being a forced full choke.

Are you referring to a choke tube as a forced full choke and wanting a fixed full choke?

If you don't mind choke tubes, there are many that you can use virtually any choke you'd like.

A friend let me borrow their reamers to thread two of my barrels with. They came out as well as a factory threaded barrel.

One of them was an 18.5" Mossberg barrel. The other was a 20 inch Remington 870 barrel.

Both are easy to carry in the woods and shoot patterns as good as 28 and 30 inchers.

There are lots of places to buy barrels. Ebay, gunbroker, numrich, midway, brownells, etc.

If all you have is a full choke barrel you are essentially "forced" to use it.

There are times you want not a "full" but maybe a "modified" or possible "Imp Mod" or go the other way to "Imp cyl".

Ditto to being "Forced" to use a longer (28"-32") barrel just to have a full choke...

If I could buy an 18" barrel with a fixed choke, I'd consider it a superb option for "tactical" applications, IF I had a need/want/desire for a tactical shotgun.

AS to having custom work done by a gunsmith, that would be an option, BUT would require that I have a V/R barrel I was willing to cut down... and I've gotten way too used to my 30"
V/R Full choke barrel on the trap field to be willing to hack it up...

Though I could use my Remington for target work, but it would take the sting out of beating those guys who show up with custom fitted Merkel's and Perrazi's :)

Last edited:
Back