• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Mossberg Is Best For Home Defense?

Neanderthal said:
I only hope I never have a need for it in the house.

Yep, I hear ya. But better to do like the Boy Scouts and always be prepared. Sounds like a good gun, you have any pics up?

My $.02 on the absolute best Mossberg for home defense?

Is the one that's within reach when you need it. The rest of the debate is academic. You never know where you're gonna be when your door is kicked in. When it goes down, a .22 Plinkster in your hands is better than a 500 upstairs in the safe.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
My $.02 on the absolute best Mossberg for home defense?

Is the one that's within reach when you need it. The rest of the debate is academic. You never know where you're gonna be when your door is kicked in. When it goes down, a .22 Plinkster in your hands is better than a 500 upstairs in the safe.

I pretty much cant add anything to that. :)

...that bein said, if the $#!+ hits the fan I'd much rather have my 590 close at hand than a .22 squirrel stopper.

So maybe some 500/590's strategically placed throughout the house? :)

That's not an umbrella with a pistol grip! :lol:

I tried to keep my reply specific to Mossberg, but placing scatterguns throughout the house isn't exactly practical in my situation. My 590 is my only shotgun at the moment and it stays at the ready in the bedroom when I'm upstairs sleeping. However, I have learned several discrete ways of placing handguns in specific locations in the house. I am also looking into another Mossy for the downstairs/living room.

My house is really small, like 860 sf, and guns sitting out is entirely common here. So you know, no reason to hide stuff. My self included, the are 4 sets of able hands, (my 4 year old isnt quite ready yet!) so there is always a gun close to someone! :D

Though the umbrella thing is a good idea, gonna have to try that one...

If you are waiting behind a door to defend yourself probably any shotgun will work for you, but if you have to move around the shorter the gun the better. Practice shooting your gun off handed in case you have to work around a corner that is opposite your natural shooting side.

Well, after struggling with whether to get a Rem 870 or a Mossberg, I came to the decision that it would be a Mossberg. Now the difficult part, which one? Here are the two I'm focused on:

1) 500 Persuader (50577) - 12 gauge, 20" barrel, 41" length, 7+1, bead sights. I can get one from Dick's Sporting goods for $330 (or Buds for $315 but I'll probably go with Dick's).

47809.jpg

2) 590A1 (51660) - 12 gauge, 18.5" barrel, 38.5", 5+1, 3 dot sights. The speedfeed stock holds four extra rounds. I can get this one from Buds Gunshop for $473.

mos_52682.jpg

I'm really leaning toward the simple 500 Persuader for $330. It's a little bit longer than I'd hoped for but (just by a couple of inches but I've been told that every inch counts :D ) it should do the job. Any comments or suggestions?

For home defense either will do great but for me you can not buy a better pump action than the Mossberg 590A1. It's a little heavier than the 500 but it shoots like a dream due to the extra weight.

I have both the Persuader and 590A1 in 20" barrels. They are a little long. But 20" vs. 18.5" really isnt that much. There are things you can practice like tucking the stock up under your arm.

There really isnt one definitive answer about which is best. A better question would be "Which is best for you?" Know what I mean? I have family that rely solely on a Stevens 16 ga.

Anyhow, The Persuader is a fine gun at a good price! I know of someone who has that gun with a matte finish available for $330 new.

I think the Persuader will meet your needs and serve it purpose well!

I'd like to get a 590A1 but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $110. You are right that both will do the job but you always want to get the best weapon for the money. Either I stay patient and wait for sales to get a better weapon or I just jump on the 500 Persuader this weekend. I'll probably just start with the 500 Persuader as a starting point and go from there. There is a gun show this weekend in Phoenix too so maybe I can find a decent deal (doubt it but you never know). I've already got a S&W M&P 9mm by my bed so it's not like I'm desperate. I would like to deal with this soon though because I think a shotgun adds another great option to HD.

Thanks for the responses.

You can't go wrong with either and if you can put that $110 dollars towards something else then go for the Mossberg 500 persuader.

Keep in mind also, the 500 is widely used by military and LEO's every bit as much, if not more so, as the 590.

What I really like about the Persuader is the mag tube running the full length of the barrel and its a fuzz lighter than the 590A1 and just as durable for anything I would put it through.

Now if there are specific features of the 590A1 you want, then I say wait it out.

For home defense I'd pick the 500 Persuader. More shots. I recently bought a 590 #50663 with ghost sights. Nine shots total with quick target acquisition. I love it!

Well, of course you will always just use what you've got but after lots of research and deciding what scenarios and likely space I'd be dealing with in a home defense situation, I opted to go for the 500 Tactical Cruiser model. With the 18.5" bbl, 5 round mag tube and pistol grip, the overall length of the gun is right around 30". Keeping that in mind, I've found it to be ultra portable in any situation and very easy to maneuver, especially around corners or from behind cover. Since you never really know where the point of entry in a break in can occur, I felt that it would be best if I had the ability to move the gun quickly and easily with out impeding my own movement or concealment. The Cruiser models get labeled as some kind of huge uncontrollable recoil monster which is completely exaggerated. The small amount of extra recoil is easily worth the greater mobility of the gun especially in combination with low recoil ammunition. I had a large group of gang members arrive at my house during a party one night and before you knew it I was being held at gun point (ironically a Mossberg 590) while they took turns punching and kicking me to the ground. Soon afterward I bought my Cruiser realizing how lucky I was to survive such an attack and promised myself to be more prepared in such a situation. I'll never forget that night, and at times I'm glad I was unarmed instead of engaging into a gun fight with local gang members, but you can't take the risk that they will stop beating you or that the police will show up in time again. Not to mention what might have happened if they had finished me off and proceeded into my home where I hid many of my friends, especially the women. Experience with a gun of any kind will make that gun your better choice but in a situation where time and speed can mean you beating themto the punch, maybe a smaller more compact Cruiser model is right for you.

Dang dude, thats a heck of an experience to live through and I cant even imagine... I can appreciate your insight and point of view.

Back