• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

what scope to use

djd4529

Copper BB
New to this so just looking for direction
have the 715t. with carry handle. will be shooting 25-300yds. I want to see the targets clearly and upclose. my shooting eye is not that great for vision. may have to shoot left handed. but i am natural right hand. so looking for quick aquisition for close quarters(25-50yds) and would like to be able to shoot 100yds all day with the occassional 300yd shot somewhat clear. What to get ???
help me O B 1.

A good 3-9x32 will give you a good middle ground.

I've got a Simmons 22 MAG 3-9x32 on my Remy 597 and it's a great liitle scope, relatively inexpensive too...

Just curious, have you done much shooting out to 300yd with a .22lr?

Djd4529,

Typically I shoot 22lr out to 100 yards. I have Lobbed them out to 150, but not very consistently. You can probably get a round out to 300, but not very effectively. On my 10-22 I have a BSA 22lr scope. If I remember correctly it goes from 1 to 7 power. It has pre calibrated turrets. Once you sight it in, you can turn the turret to your distance and be really close. I think the scope dial goes out to 200 yards. Hope it helps

Here is the same scope in a 3x9 (wish this was available when I bought mine).
http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Sweet-22-Scop ... B000NJUPAS

Frank

Like Frank said, the max effective range of .22lr is about 150yd.

With a blowback semi-auto action like the 715T there is some loss in overall muzzle velocity which will further limit your reach. You can have some serious fun and should be able to put up some pretty good groups at 100yd. Trying to stretch it out past that will either be extremely challenging or extremely frustrating, depending on how you look at it. Just as an example, at 300yd you'd have to hold your sights roughly ten feet over your target to have a chance at hitting it and a 10mph crosswind will push your shot as much as four feet off target. It's not impossible, but is more like turning your rifle into a mortar than a target rifle...

Back