• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What to look for in a new 930 SPX

m24shooter

.270 WIN
I've been asked many times what to look for in a 930 SPX to make sure you get one that works, or at least that has minimal chance to be messed up. Here's the list.
If you're getting one, make sure you can check it out first. There are a few things you need to check out first.
Check the barrel. The latest gen is a heavy profile, like the 590A1.
The front sight should have tall ears, and the roll pin is in a different location than the early models. The first gen was a low profile FSB, the second gen is simply a first gen on a welded pedestal. The barrel early in my review is a first gen. The later barrel (not the ported one) is a third gen. There is a side by side at the end of the review.
Make sure the front sight is top dead nuts centered, not canted.
Make sure the forearm retainer isn't broken.
Make sure the extension isn't bent or dented.
Make sure the mag tube spring isn't too long. If it is, it will prevent the first round from being released from the mag tube if the mag tube is at full capacity.
Check the end of the mag tube (not the extension, the actual mag tube) for burrs. You may need to chamfer the opening slightly.
Some of the transition areas on the extensions are rough as well, or too long. They will bind up the followers.
Take the barrel off and look at the spring on the gas piston. You should be able to see it in the witness hole. The first gen springs were blue, and there were some that were black. The newer springs are red. They will let you shoot lighter loads, although some (including myself) never had a problem with lighter loads with the blue and black spring.
The forearm should have a sling button screwed into it at the bottom up close the mag tube extension.
The bolt knob should be a round version, very similar to the ETA and Nordic models.
Make sure that the short screws are in the front of the rail, and the long screws in the back. They are coming from the factory with thread locker on them now. Make sure they aren't overtorqued and fall out.
Look to make sure the FCG doesn't have a lot of movement, or sits in the receiver at an angle.
Lasly, make sure the FCG pins are flush with the outside of the receiver. They shouldn't be below the level of the receiver; I've seen somebody who had a 590 pin in their 930. Caused some problems.
Make sure you clean it well. I mean really, really clean. Mossberg ships their shotguns with a ton of preservative in their shotguns.
I know this is a lot of things, but it is literally everything I've ever heard of being a problem with a new 930 SPX. I dont' know of anybody who has had more than one or maybe two at the most. Certainly never heard of somebody having several much less most of them. If you got all of them, I dont' know what to say because you are probably about to have the ISS fall out of orbit right on top of you and you are the unluckiest dude. Evar.

This information is priceless. It should be put on leaflets and dropped from planes….Mossbergaganda
You’re the man , who knows how many people you have helped :cool:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this up m24shooter!

Yeah, seriously M24, This is incredibly helpful as the 930 is still something I'm considering down the road. Thanks for all this!!!

Hey, I don't know how I missed this, I guess the fact that I STILL haven't been able to find time and a decent range to pattern/sight in and function check is to blame, but I was just reading M24shooters latest update, as I hadn't seen it before now, and I have the newer barrel ('3rd gen' w/short sight tower, blue piston spring, and all other updates, it was boxed on the 10th of December, 2010). Sooo, what's up, are they using short sights and tall sights interchangeably, and will the spring change it's supposed ability to shoot light loads? Will the short rather than newer tall front sight change P.O.I. and kill a bit of elevation adjustment on the front sight as it seems the sight plane would get screwed up? Any help is appreciated!!
Stephen

Back