• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

what type lube??

Rotating pieces get oil.

Gliding parts get grease.

I rarely do anything to a barrel bore except for an occasional cleaning. Usually the only bore cleaner I use is Ed's Red and then leave it..

It might "sound" like a lot of chit but all of it comes very cheap and comes in great big containers so I have a lifetime supply making all of that chit really inexpensive.

Rotating pieces get oil.

Gliding parts get grease.

I rarely do anything to a barrel bore except for an occasional cleaning. Usually the only bore cleaner I use is Ed's Red and then leave it..

It might "sound" like a lot of chit but all of it comes very cheap and comes in great big containers so I have a lifetime supply making all of that chit really inexpensive.
If the barrel isn’t chrome lined or anything do you work about surface rust in the bore, or does Ed’s have some sort of deterrent?

I just started using Lucas heavy weight full synthetic for sliding parts. Grease keeps gathering too much crap. It’s on a trial basis for now.

That sounds like a very good thing to try. I love thick oil for gun actions.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with the Lucas heavy weight oil stabilizer, but the synthetic seems a little thinner than the pure petroleum.

I had been using grease but my carry gun especially collects so much gunk which I guess is normal but it gets old. Trying something new for a little while.

The Lucas heavy duty synthetic has been doing well even carrying all day and with range use.

My son in law just brought me some of the actual Lucas gun oil. I’m gonna try that for awhile. It’s not as thick as the Lucas stabilizer but it seems to stay in place. It’s very slick, like silk. It comes in a small bottle with a fine, almost needle like, metal applicator. It doesn’t come out easy at all and I get the impression it’s not supposed to take much. I have no idea.

I’m gonna run it a little tomorrow.

I saw some of that on the checkout counter at O'reillys a while back.

I saw some of that on the checkout counter at O'reillys a while back.

Oreillys is where he found it! :) we’ve looked all around here from gun stores to hardware and auto parts stores. Haven’t seen it. He was up the road a ways and stopped in oreillys for something and saw it so he got some for me. It’s on the expensive side for me at $6 for an ounce. The quart of heavy weight stabilizer at $13 is a better buy.

Just ran my Kimber with the Lucas gun oil.

It looks like a little goes a long way. Everything is slick and everything wiped down real easy without having to actually use a cleaner first. I don’t like cleaning guns. At all. But since this is my carry gun, I’ve been shooting it more than anything else, and I’ve been cleaning it every time I use it. If I can wipe it down and reapply some lube, I’m down for that.

I haven’t carried with the Lucas gun oil yet. I only just applied it for the first time last night. So I can’t speak to any long term value or benefit. I’ll see how it does in comparison to the heavier stuff I’ve used and see if it holds as much crap as grease and check back in.

33 years with my 500A and I've never oiled anything except the barrel. Dry silicon spray for the slide tube (inside and out), the inside of the receiver and the bolt and the 3 other parts we know so well. The trigger assembly as a whole will get sprayed out with nitro solvent every 10 years or so and then sprayed with silicon spray. I've noticed in recent years some tight 88s and new 500s at the range. I'd gently stone down the binding areas and hit it with dry silicon. That was always the mark of a Mossberg (and Remington) back in the day, that is, flawless actions out of the box. Not so much anymore. Just a thought-nothing is going to wear out in your 500. Nothing.

Back