• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Whats the laws and return policies for defective firearms

rene

I bough this mossberg 930 on sunday. And notice the damn thing would not eject a shell and pick it up to put it on the chamber. So I went to the gun shop on monday to explain my problem. They lube it up and blame the problem on poor lubrication. For the moment it look like it fix the problem, but when I got home. It keept doing the same thing. Today I called the shoop and they told me they wanted to take the gun to the range for test. I personally dont want the shootgun and told them I wanted to have it exchange for the mossberg 500 they have in stock. But the guy on the phones said, technically any gun that leaves the shoop cannot be returnd or exchange for another one. He said he had to talk to the owner to see what they could do for me since ive been having problems with the gun from day one. I sounds to me that they are trying to take me round and round untill its to late to make an exchange. Does anybody knows any law or policy that protectes a consumer who just bough a defective gun and gets this reaction from the gunshoop ?

Re: Whats the laws and return policies for defective firear

I believe all sales are final once you walk out the door with the firearm. Now some shops will take the gun back with a restocking fee in exchange for another firearm. This is not very common though. I really think you should give the Mossberg 930 autoloader a chance. It is a great firearm and if there is indeed an issue with yours then you may need to send it back to Mossberg.

DHonovich said:
I believe all sales are final once you walk out the door with the firearm. Now some shops will take the gun back with a restocking fee in exchange for another firearm. This is not very common though. I really think you should give the Mossberg 930 autoloader a chance. It is a great firearm and if there is indeed an issue with yours then you may need to send it back to Mossberg.

I dont think thats fair for me as a consumer since I just spent this money on something that turnd out to be defective. And on top of that, I claim an exchange for a new one or other model and its declined ?? !!! come on man. How would you feel if that happend to you ?

I understand your frustrations but I believe the law is in place so people can't go and buy firearms, perform crimes with them and then return them. I would at least give your Mossberg 930 autoloader a chance. Yes some of us have had a few hiccups with them (mainly the SPX model) but once we got them fixed are completely in love with them.

It sucks but as with most things once it leaves the store you need to take it up with the manufacturer. You should let them test it. They might find something simple wrong with it and fix it or be so disgusted with it that they will help get it straight with the manufacturer. A shop can’t take a gun back that they don’t know what has been or not been done to it after it has left them…..kina like returning food or medicine can be a life or death situation. No matter how nice a thing is there will always be lemons. Good luck.

DHonovich said:
I understand your frustrations but I believe the law is in place so people can't go and buy firearms, perform crimes with them and then return them. I would at least give your Mossberg 930 autoloader a chance. Yes some of us have had a few hiccups with them (mainly the SPX model) but once we got them fixed are completely in love with them.

I understand that, it does make sence. But my problem is that I havent even shoot mine. I see you are telling me to take it to the range and shoot it so I can brake it in. But how can I shoot when the shootgun wont even eject the shell and loaded it in to the chamber ? theres an obvious defect here.

Mossberg will warranty their firearms. They'll even send a prepaid postage tag for FedEx. I would recommend taking up any issue with them first.

Well thank you all for your answers. This what it happened yuesterday when I took it for the last time. The shoop didnt even want to check it properly. I told them to try for a third time to load the gun and try tow put a shell in the chamber so they can see it will jam. They bitch about doing it, but they did. And guess what ? it would not load. The store owner said I had to press the release button. I said, all that will do is jamm the chamber with to shells. the owner press the button. and guess what ? it jamm the damn thing. Then he believe me. He said all he could do is sent it to mossberg. I said I didnt want that shotgun anymore. He said, he had to charge me a re stocking fee of 125 for gun. Why would I paid for a gun that is deffective ? He said its not new anymore. I said how come ? I didnt even shoot it because I couldnt load it. He reply, but you put shells on it, that makes it used. How would I foud out the shoot gun was defective from the first time without putting shells on it ? !!! He said he dont know. By that time he walkd away for a moment. While I was waiting I call my brother who lives a couple of countys away and posses a firearms dealers liscence. And while complaining to my brother on the phone about the restocking fee I was being charge, the owner notice I was on the phone talking about the situation. Next thing I know, the owner came with my money back but he told me he had to charge 35 dollars for the FDLE or some like that to take the gun serial number out of my name. Now Im a happy camper without a piece of lemon mossberg 930 but 35 buck short. I dont matter to my now, cause my brohter is now doing the bussines for my about getting a realiable shotgun

yeah he sounds like a dick... at least its done with.A good solution would have been you pay the 35, because its not their fault the gun isnt working, and then the shop gets you a new 930 that they make sure works before it leaves the shop.Then the shop could just deal with mossberg about your old gun, get an exchange and put it back on the shelf. Or swap you the 500 and call it good with you , keep the profit, exchange the 930 with Mossberg, put it back on the shelf and make more money.

I'd have raised a bunch of cain about it too...

oli700 said:
yeah he sounds like a dick... at least its done with.A good solution would have been you pay the 35, because its not their fault the gun isnt working, and then the shop gets you a new 930 that they make sure works before it leaves the shop.Then the shop could just deal with mossberg about your old gun, get an exchange and put it back on the shelf. Or swap you the 500 and call it good with you , keep the profit, exchange the 930 with Mossberg, put it back on the shelf and make more money.

Thank you man, thats what I was hoping for but instead they lost a customer who will be giving a bad review of the place. So if you come to Orlando Florida or visit down here, avoid universal weapons on South OBT. Other good places to go ? Als Army Store. Good price and service. To bad Im not getting paid for advertisement.

Ok, good news. Now Im the proud owner of a Mossberg 500 tactical. And this baby does work !!!! Now Im happy :D

rene said:
Ok, good news. Now Im the proud owner of a Mossberg 500 tactical. And this baby does work !!!! Now Im happy :D

Awesome! Cant wait to see it, which model? Glad you got it worked out Rene!!!

Rossignol said:
rene said:

Awesome! Cant wait to see it, which model? Glad you got it worked out Rene!!!

Thanks ! I just know its a 500 tactical, My brother send me the pic, and its exactly what I was looking for. Im picking it up tonite. And good thing about it, its new w/o failure. It picking up the shells !!! :D

As soon as I figure how to upload pic Ill be puting the pic here.

I think what we may do is put up a sticky about picture posting. If you can email me the pics you have, I'll put em up for you! Just pick one of my email adddys from my sig!

oli700 said:
It sucks but as with most things once it leaves the store you need to take it up with the manufacturer. You should let them test it. They might find something simple wrong with it and fix it or be so disgusted with it that they will help get it straight with the manufacturer. A shop can’t take a gun back that they don’t know what has been or not been done to it after it has left them…..kina like returning food or medicine can be a life or death situation. No matter how nice a thing is there will always be lemons. Good luck.
That's exactly right.The short answer is,BATFE regulations.
In researching which FFL I'm going to need to work on my own,part time as a gunsmith(Class 001 by the way)I found out that every time an NFA firearm changes hands it requires an NFA Transfer and report to the ATF(for short).So for example,someone brings a weapon to me for a repair that can't be completed while the customer waits.Legally it has to be transferred to me and then back to them when they take physical possession of their own property.
The problem with the original poster's example is that in effect,the store would have had to buy the shotgun back.The manufacturer's warranty would be void because it only applies to the original purchaser and it seems highly unlikely that the store had a qualified gunsmith on staff,and on-site,to do the repair to Mossberg's satisfaction.
Just my educated guess.
Bob

bob2231 said:
oli700 said:
That's exactly right.The short answer is,BATFE regulations.
In researching which FFL I'm going to need to work on my own,part time as a gunsmith(Class 001 by the way)I found out that every time an NFA firearm changes hands it requires an NFA Transfer and report to the ATF(for short).So for example,someone brings a weapon to me for a repair that can't be completed while the customer waits.Legally it has to be transferred to me and then back to them when they take physical possession of their own property.
The problem with the original poster's example is that in effect,the store would have had to buy the shotgun back.The manufacturer's warranty would be void because it only applies to the original purchaser and it seems highly unlikely that the store had a qualified gunsmith on staff,and on-site,to do the repair to Mossberg's satisfaction.
Just my educated guess.
Bob

According to my brother who posses a license to sell firearms. If a person finds out that the firearms that he bought is defective, it can be returned to the gunshop before 30 days. The gunshop has the option of either send it to the manufacturer with out cost to the customer or exchange it for another merchandise. And if the firearm is exchange for another firearm, the customers is responsable to pay the FDLE to have that gun taken out of their name. In my case I found out the shotgun was defective the same night I got home. Went back the next day and I was told the problem was lubrication. Got home and found out it was still doing the problem. Came back to the gunshop the day after and instead I was being charge 50 dollars to send it to Mossberg. Or if I want it an exchange I was going to be chanrge 125 for restocking a defective shotgun. Why would I do that ?? Finally they kindda got scared when they saw me doing some phone calls and decided to returned my money and charge 35 dollars to the FDLE to take the gun out of my name. But no biggie. Now my brother got a Mossberg 500 tactical 7+1 brand new for 320. :D

Oh by the way I shoot it two sundays ago and that bitch kicks when shooting magnum slugs. BUT ITS FUN !!! :twisted:

rene said:
Oh by the way I shoot it two sundays ago and that bitch kicks when shooting magnum slugs. BUT ITS FUN !!! :twisted:
rene
It's good that you finally got to have some fun with your gun.I'm still waiting for Mossberg to resolve the problem with my rifle that I bought in Dec.
I was more or less trying to give you an idea of why stores slap up the big NO RETURNS sign.They don't want to deal with the paperwork and forms.The ATF is getting increasingly hard to deal with.
I have an old Savage/Westpoint 12 ga. pump that's pretty light,so I usually stick to low brass
Bob

bob2231 said:
rene said:
rene
It's good that you finally got to have some fun with your gun.I'm still waiting for Mossberg to resolve the problem with my rifle that I bought in Dec.
I was more or less trying to give you an idea of why stores slap up the big NO RETURNS sign.They don't want to deal with the paperwork and forms.The ATF is getting increasingly hard to deal with.
I have an old Savage/Westpoint 12 ga. pump that's pretty light,so I usually stick to low brass
Bob

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear that you've been waiting so long for your rifle. About the NO RETURNS. I think gun shop should be more clear about their policies. The gun shop I went wasn't. That's why I had a really hard time. I think that gun shop policies should be posted on a big sign for all to see. Instead of buying something and finding yourself surprised with a rip off. Hope you get your rifle soon. Let us know how it shoots.

Back