• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

whats the oldest box u have

biglever

.270 WIN
What's the oldest box of shell's or ammo you have. And price on it
I have a old box of win.
8mm. With a penciled on price of $ 5.97
When I get home I will post a pic.

I have had some very old stuff over the years. Probably don't have any photos of any of it.

I would imagine the oldest ammo that I have had was late 40's, early 50's 30-06 in Garand clips that resided in an old surplus WW2 bandolier.

I have seen others much older than that. Paper shotgun shells, etc, but the 30-06 was probably the oldest that I have had personally.

I had a few old paper shot shell's. Don't beleave I have them anymore.
Have a old box of 303 British
Ammo , that have the corrosive
Primers.that has a date stamped on it. I will get a pic. Of that later.

Those 8mm shell's are 5.15 cents.
The 303 were made 5 Aug.1966 Here's the pic.20160509_192623.jpg20160509_192636.jpg 20160509_192636.jpg
Sorry the light isn't to good but you should be able to make it out.

Other than the clipped Garand ammo, I've got .45 ACP boxes of S&B that I paid $8.45/50 form Cheaper Than Dirt about 2000. I think I have some 9mm that is older than that, but I don't have any 9mm guns. [Yet]

I have some boxes of .223 from the early 90's with $3.99/20 rounds and a brick of .22 front he same period at $12.00 or there about. I found them in the trunk of my Chevelle last summer where I had lost track of them.

I have no idea how old these 3 boxes of 30-40 Krag are or the price paid back then. You can see on the "newer" boxes to the right a price of $7.95. I see today on the shelves at Cabelas a price of $39.99. Also, something to point out - the middle box of Super X aren't labeled as Winchester, instead they are labeled as Western. I'm guessing Western became Winchester later on? And Peters? Never heard of that name. These were acquired with my Winchester model 95 from my father, whish came from his father.

S4010118.JPG S4010121.JPG

I just picked up a old box of 35 rem. Took me for ever to get it.
Now I will have to fine a old box for my krags.
Very cool ,thanks for the pic.

Something I would love to find
Is a box of ammo from the
Western auto store brand name
Reverlation. I have a 30-30 from
Western auto. Made in 1955

Spam cans of WWII 7.62x.54 and 7.62x.39.
Shoots great.

Last edited:
This is a really great thread! Thanks guys.

FWIW, the Peters Cartridge Company based in Southwest Ohio, eventually became part of Remington-Peters then it was just Remington. You should google the name; the company has a very interesting historical past.

Western was the Western Cartridge Company, which went on to form the Olin Corporation and eventually the Winchester name. Also a very historically important company in our firearms history. The Western Cartridge Company has a very direct lineage with the M1 Garand Rifle and the M1 Carbine, and Western Cartridge invented BALL smokeless powder. You'll still see current WCC headstamps on US mil-spec ammunition.

20160510_193944.jpg Any of you remember Herter's
Catalog s or bullets
I found three new boxs of 8mm
180 gr. rn bullets , and I took all three.
Something is slowing down my data. I can't send any pic.

Last edited:
I don't have pics. I recently just fired my last box of Federal Lightning .22s, the had a blue ink price stamp (remember them?) of 39 cents. I'm guessing they were from the late 70's or early 80's. They shot great. I hated to waste them, but I promised my wife I'd teach her to shoot a hand gun, and that's all I had.

Back