• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

whats the oldest box u have

empty-federal-lightning-22-lr-500-round-brick-ammo-box-df47840028715624bf184b3e4a6fe2fd.jpg

That's a very cool box.
Hang on it.
I know were there is a box of
Reverlation 22 cal ammo.
From western auto supply store.
That I mite have to buy.

I just stoped at the gs. That has that box of reverlation 22's
I could have got a box at the last gun show for 15.00
This guy wants 25.00 , that ain't
Going to happen

I don't remember when I bought these. Early 80's maybe. Ammo is gone, but I kept the box.

This box is even older. $1.49 for Stingers. Looks like October of 1978

There's no price marked but my guess is that the dod paid $3500 a box, back when gas was 23 cents.

So, 30k in today's money.

What exactly is a Thruster Cartridge Actuated. I'm guessing something used to launch rifle grenades?

Of course all I have is an empty box picked up from Hill Field about 1972.
14692907087071882017449.jpg
It's hard to read, but those were M9 Thruster cartridges, designed to blow the canopy off of a jet aircraft.

I believe that means they're just .50 caliber Browning's with a plastic wad instead of a slug.

One of you retired Air Force guys might know.

These boxes now house my dad's collection of tire chains, which is exactly where they've been since we moved to California over 41 years ago.

I use them as a rolling Work Platform.

I googled it and found this:

Thruster, Cartridge Actuated, also referenced with federal logistics item name code 20511 - An item operated by gases generated by explosion of a cartridge. the item provides thrust for opening or closing latches, hatches, and the like, and/or positioning aircraft components such as instrument panels, seats, etc., to facilitate emergency escape of personnel.

OK, not as cool as military explosives, but I just picked these up at a flea market.

IMG_0274.JPG

I believe early 1930's. The ammo is still clean, looks like it's been kept dry. My guess is they'd fire, but obviously, I have no intention of trying.

I have a couple of boxes of Remington ammo from the late 70s. .243 Winchester caliber. I've hauled them around all these years . I keep telling myself I am going to shoot them, but I keep buying new instead.

1a1a7dcc064a57211c0050798c7d3d2c.jpg

No idea on the vintage. And don't even really remember where I got them. Full box.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I was just given an old box of CCI Blazer .45 auto. I don't know how to date it but it won't last long anyway.

I guess by old we're likely still talking about the last decade. So not old by comparison.

Back