• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's up with dixie slugs?

It's been several years, I know there was an illness in the family & don't want to pry, but are they open for business or not? The website & forum are still up but I see no recent activity. I have 2 phone numbers for them (daytime & after dark) & have spoken with James & his wife Cissy before.
The only order form I was able to get online was for 3" tri-balls, which I need, but also some slugs for a smoothbore & maybe some of the 357 cast pistol boolits. Please shed some light, any info appreciated.

Last edited:
no clue, I haven't used them but have ran across them in my component hunts.....always hear good things about Dixie though

NOBODY with info? Is there a secret handshake I'm unaware of ? Somebody must know sumthin. If it's a privacy thing PM me and I'll butt out.

judging by the amount of information about Dixie Slugs on this site, I am not at all surprised.....I don't know any one that uses them and I am pretty sure no reloaders here use them

Too bad. They are/were a small Fl family company specializing in very hard cast for maximum stopping ability. NOT your average whiz-bang type stuff. A class act all the way whose owner with years in the big ammo mfg'rs started his own biz & he or his wife would call you to discuss your needs/uses/ what gun you use etc & get what you needed to you fast. NOT the kind of customer service you will get from most of the big mfgr's. Wishing them well & hoping they will re-open or at least update their website (dixieslugs.com)

This is first I've heard of them, but I don't reload either.

DANG! They sold mostly loaded shotgun ammo, + some cast boolits/slugs for reloading. Real hard hitting stuff, on both ends of the gun. A dangerous game round (dgs) as well that I was afraid to try. Good reading. Their tri-ball ammo was legend (wait for it) ary.

Last edited:
TriBall is the most effective round you can use in shotgun only management areas. It will extend the range you can reliable kill regular size hogs and for large boars it is the perfect round period. .Go to Castbooltes forum to learn the reloading tricks and load data to roll your own. Some reviewers have said that the 3" and 3 1/2" TriBall loads have more recoil than any other round they have ever touched off.

I've only fired the 3 1/2" ones. I wouldn't recommend it from the bench. 3- 60+ caliber hard cast balls, 310 +/- grains (EACH) at 1100 fps, do the math, and they group well out to 40 yards. If you need more stopping power they have it with a 700+ grain dgs (dangerous game slug) recommended by chiropractors everywhere.

For close range/dangerous situations, slower moving (by todays standards) large diameter heavy hard cast bullets have been/ currently are/ and will continue to be used for SD & backups for guides and sportsmen from India/Africa/Alaska for more than our combined lifetimes, whether in a big bore rifle or shottie. The big difference is the shottie has a higher capacity, is lighter, more maneuverable, and can put more lead downrange faster. As with any caliber/gauge it's more about the projectile chosen that determines stopping ability. Believe that.

So does anyone else make these sort of hard cast projectiles?

And a 3-1/2" shell loaded with this stuff? What gun are you using?

For close range/dangerous situations, slower moving (by todays standards) large diameter heavy hard cast bullets have been/ currently are/ and will continue to be used for SD & backups for guides and sportsmen from India/Africa/Alaska for more than our combined lifetimes, whether in a big bore rifle or shottie. The big difference is the shottie has a higher capacity, is lighter, more maneuverable, and can put more lead downrange faster. As with any caliber/gauge it's more about the projectile chosen that determines stopping ability. Believe that.

Like a .45-70 lever gun?

I'm sure many manufacturer's make hard cast components & loaded ammo, but I don't know of any others offhand. I used the 3 1/2" tri-balls, & Dixie tornado slugs in my Beneli Super black eagle with both smoothbore for the tri-balls & rifled bbl for the tornado's (a sabot slug). I'm looking forward to trying some in my new to me 590, but I need the 3" ones & non sabot slugs. I have no need or real desire for the DGS's, IF they are still in business. Maybe you can have better luck Dixieslugs.com 352-684-9007, 79 NE 242nd Ave, Old Town Fl 32680
NOT KNOCKING the 45-70 (or any gun/caliber) BUT the 45-70 is a much smaller diameter. The DGS slug is 70+ caliber/ 700+ grain? & you could load 8 of them in a 20" 590. Yes the 45-70 does have more velocity & could be loaded with hard cast as well. Just sayin, don't discount a shottie.You could always have Hadji tote your 500 nitro express double rifle at app 20 lbs around for you as well. UPDATE try beartoothbullets.com or castboolits.com for cast reloading supplies.

Last edited:
GOOD NEWS, I just rec'd a phone call from Cissy Gates (James C's wife) both are alive & doing pretty well. James was in the shop working up some turkey loads, so good to hear. Dixie slugs is open for business & taking orders primarily for 3" triballs at the moment, but just ask for what you want, as they sometimes do special runs if there is enough interest. order forms can be printed from their web site, dixieslugs.com (the forum is down) & just write down what you would like & I expect she will call you if needed. Snail mail them the order form with payment. Sorry but I didn't ask if they take orders via credit/debit over the phone, or computer. They are getting the emails, so all is looking up.

Back