1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

What's "wrong" with the 464

Discussion in 'Mossberg 464 Lever Action' started by schotzfyred, Jun 23, 2018.

1. schotzfyred

schotzfyred .410

I've been reading about the 464 "problems" and I can't understand why Winchester could make a great lever action for almost 100 years, [and yeah, they pooped out a while ago,] but why on earth in this day and age of high tech, robots and the like, that gun makers just can't get it right. Ruger, Remlin, and others, all have issues that the customer then has to fix. Trigger kits, sears, springs, new barrels, just to get them to shoot well.
    Robot machines can produce parts to sub 1000ths inches, but it would appear that they don't go together well.
    My 1902 1886 and my 1936 32 spcl 1894 still function flawlessly.

OK, just venting a bit, and it's raining....I was thinking about a 464, but I wish the reports were better.
    nitesite likes this.
  2. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

DFM in a JIT environment. The crowning glory of Manufacturing Engineers.

"Design For Manufacture" means Every step is carefully pre-programmed so idiots can build these guns in production, and the parts all fit without "matching".

It is great when it works, but if you get one bad box of parts the system crashes.

"Just In Time" means the next box won't be here until this one runs out.
    There is lots of pressure to use whatever parts come, ship the guns, and fix them on recall etc.

Welcome to the global economy.
  3. schotzfyred

schotzfyred .410

Yep, but where is the QC.....probably cut that department to save money. Many have.

"Quality is pride of workmanship."
    W. Edwards Deming
  4. schotzfyred

schotzfyred .410

The August edition of Shooting Times had an article on the 464, but unfortunately the writer talked more about the optics that the writer put on it and how to do the install. The writer also included a few paragraphs on the available 30-30 ammo. No range report, no pros/cons and it seemed the writer just repeated Mossbergs' ads.
  5. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

Henry is where it is at for a new affordable lever.
  6. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

+1 100%
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

I'll second that. Got two of them and love 'em. My next want is a case colored 30-30.
  8. COSteve

COSteve .22LR

While I have a Henry H001 carbine in 22lr, the big bore Henrys are too heavy by 1.5 to 2.0lbs and lack a loading gate in the receiver making them non starters in my book. I can understand the weight issue due to materials decisions but to not include a frame loading gate in their design was just plain stupid in my book.

I talked to Henry during the development of the big boys when they came out to Colorado to talk to some of us in CASS. However, their explanation of why they dropped a receiver loading gate was cryptic at best and stupid at worst. Told them then, and I stand by it now . . . . . no loading gate, no sale.

As to the OP's question on what's wrong with the 464, as the owner of a previous pre '64 Win 94 carbine and a '60s era Marlin 336, I can honestly say that both of them pail in comparison to my 2012 era walnut stocked 464 both in crispness of action, trigger, and accuracy.
    meanstreak likes this.
  9. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Having shot a nice condition Winchester from 1965 I must agree that the Mossberg action is tighter and the trigger is better. Frankly the Mossberg is a good solid gun and my only wish was that it was a little better right out of the box. Mine required lots of break in.

But then I had exactly the same wish about the Henry .357. It needed a little break in too. The plunger doesn't stay in the tube if it's empty. The little o ring that provides tension is a modern bit that's quite visible on the gun if you look, and spoils the whole antique effect. Plus it does not work well. Like the space shuttle, it should have had a better or second o-ring to make this design work right.

My real problem with the Mossberg action was it being too tight from excess silver coating, and I spent a lot of time cleaning it up with gun oil and Scotch-Brite. There were a few bits that needed polishing and alignment of the kind that any gunsmith will do.

The other big problem was that plastic follower. Easy fix to replace it, but just trimming it worked.

Now I love my Henry .22 and .357 rifles, & the .22 about the slickest thing on Earth, but I can certainly not say that they are flawless. They both came with no lube inside the mag tubes. Those tubes are well-blued on the outside but arrived rusted on the inside. I didn't clean the tubes initially and on the first shooting I pushed some rust down into the action.

The Mossberg had that as well.

The .357 is picky about ammunition, and when it works it works but when it doesn't it doesn't. The .30-30 can be the same way. I have made successful 357 hand loads, but so far I have not made a good .30-30 round.

As far as loading gate vs rod, I like the rod on the Henry because it gives the gun a more antique nature. The 464 is a little too modern, with its silver coating and laminated plywood stock. It's flashy but I think the blue steel models work better.
    meanstreak likes this.
  10. COSteve

COSteve .22LR

Yep, I have to agree that the 'blued steel and walnut' look on a Marlin is the best.

[​IMG]
    meanstreak likes this.
  11. lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff .410 Supporter

I say go ahead, get that 464 & start breaking it in. I recommend the blued & walnut version with a few tweaks....

[​IMG]
  12. Steamburn

Steamburn .22LR

Got the 464 SPX (the ugly one) a couple of years ago. True, took a while to break it in, but it is extremely practical and reliable. I recommend it highly.
    meanstreak likes this.