• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's your go-to boot?

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I have worn ALOT of boots throughout my time, and in my younger years... price always came before function. When I joined the Coast Guard i bought a really nice pair of Corcoran boots for work that lasted me a solid 5 years (wearing them pretty much every day) and I'm currently on my second pair. Since I can get a 50% discount through Keen, I've had several of their boots over the years, and while I find them very comfortable... the durability is laking, and I typically only get about a year out of a pair (I blew out eyelets on my last pair within 6 months). I couldn't imagine paying retail for these... I'd be pissed for sure!

Anyways, I'm currently down to one good boot for "civilian" wear, which are my Danner boots I bought for hunting about 3 years ago... but I'm ready for an upgrade... So tell me... what are your go-to high quality boots that will last, or even some Heirloom quality ones that can be re-soled?

Danner Pronghorns for me....wish they were able to be re-soled. But, I’ll get at least another season out of them yet...bought them in 2014 I think it was.

Danner Pronghorns for me....wish they were able to be re-soled. But, I’ll get at least another season out of them yet...bought them in 2014 I think it was.
Yeah the Pronghorns are what I’ve got now... but after 4 years they’ve seen better days. I’m not even sure they make a full leather version anymore?!

@aksavanaman HOW THE HECK ARE YOU????? I love seeing your name up here!

Are you looking for tog grain leather to polish, or full grain suede in tan color?

I have one MADE IN USA suggestion that is GREAT.

I'm doing well! Been a hot minute since I've showed my face I know! I'm certainly leaning toward something full grain leather I can waterproof with oil and preferably a boot with full welt construction. I've been looking at Red Wings, Thorogoods and Carolina Shoe Co.

Last edited:
I'll be looking at these ones below when the time comes...all capable of re-soling. There are Classic Hunter models as well. Full leather uppers and stitched down, welt soles.

Only thing you and I know for sure, is the Pronghorns are comfy! Mine are just the right amount of insulation (400gm)...good for early and late season hunting (just need thicker socks later). I've never had a blister, wet or cold feet when coupled with appropriate Merino wool socks and I've had them in bucketing down rain, crossing creeks and down to -19C. There was virtually no break in required. The traditional style boots with arguably more durable construction and higher quality materials, there will be a break in period for sure and proper fit is critical to comfort. Aaaannnd, they're anywhere from $100-150 more out of the gate.

I'd take a look at Danner's website...they've an awful lot to choose from.

https://global.danner.com/men/hunt/elk-hunter-8-brown.html

https://global.danner.com/men/hunt/powderhorn-10-brown-400g.html

I wear Muck boots for most of my hunting. I have 3 different weights for different times of the year.

Wolverine leather workboot for everyday wear in the winter/wet months.

I have a pair of Bernie (from Family Farm and Home) slip on workboots that serve many purposes.

For extreme cold/ice fishing i still use my old LaCross Ice Kings.

I just pick up a pair of Oboz Bridger Mid height waterproof hiking boots. Only have about 15 miles on them so far buy they sre the most comfortable hikers I've ever had.
51VXYc0f3zL._AC_UY780_.jpg

Yeah those powderhorns look great for sure! I think just like gun choices and optics choices I’m trying to find a “do it all”.... when really I’d be better served with a good winter boot and a good lighter weight work boot for around the farm. I’ve got several pairs of Kamik rubber boots that are great for just slipping on for shoveling snow or farm chores but that’s not what I’m looking for you know.

Regarding boots, well I have never marched for a living, but I have owned a lot of boots myself. I have finally come to the conclusion that I need to have them made from scratch.

I really never can buy top quality boots and have them fit me any better than cheap ones.

I currently have a pair of Schmidts, a pair of Chinooks, a pair of Tony Llamas, and a pair of Sidis.

The Schmidts and the Chinooks are nice boots but they just don’t fit me all that well. Also the uppers are far better than the soles, which are too cushy.

The Sidis are motorcycle boots and of course the Tony llamas are cowboy boots, and neither are really the question here.

Yeah those powderhorns look great for sure! I think just like gun choices and optics choices I’m trying to find a “do it all”.... when really I’d be better served with a good winter boot and a good lighter weight work boot for around the farm. I’ve got several pairs of Kamik rubber boots that are great for just slipping on for shoveling snow or farm chores but that’s not what I’m looking for you know.
Agreed. I've got the Baffin Ice Bears for really wet, mucky or nasty cold, snowy weather...but they're not for hiking. I've got leather tac boots for city riding (could easily double as a hiking boot), I've got Forma Adventures for off-road riding, low cut hikers & sneakers for everyday. The closest thing I own to a true all-arounder are the Danners. And, I could use them for nearly everything if I was in a pinch.

I'm actually not personally aware of any light to mid-weight, full leather and aggressive welt sole boot options without paying a stupid amount of money. To my mind, I'd pay the big bucks for something like the Danner Elk Hunter if I intended to do a big, back country mountain hunt on foot...no point going halfway on a trip like that, bad footwear choices could end your adventure quick. I'd also be a lot less upset if I damaged a $2-250 boot than a $400 boot.

Almost forgot, I've got a pair of the Merrell Chameleon 8" for late season hiking / snowshoeing. Haven't hardly used them, its not been cold enough the last year.

Back