• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

When do you switch to one eye?

blue

20g
I guess this is the place for this. When do you transition from two eyes to one in a combat shooting scenario. I mean YOU specifically, not "when does one". I started as a wing shooter, and mostly now shoot clays, so maybe for those who have only used the shotgun as an HD tool you've only shot with one eye. But I shoot where I look at this point in my life, and at HD range with the gun mounted I'm using both eyes.

But for those who do shoot with both eyes, at what range on a man sized target do you transition to one eye? I can't really say authoritatively for myself because it just occured to me when practicing with slugs that I do do it. Definitely using both at 10 meters with a silhouette target (meaning no bullseye) but beyond that I need to pay attention next trip and think about it.

Anybody?

When drilling for self-defense, I shoot open sights with both eyes open, period. That includes shotguns, rifles and pistols. I don't generally drill for SD out past 50 yards.

Regardless of gun type, if I'm aiming a raised gun I only shoot with one eye. Just the way I've always done it.

For me it depends on the sighting mechanism, Tubes one eye, iron one eye, holo/reflex two eyes

For me, I dont practice specifically for PD or HD. I only recently became aware of switching from one eye to two eyes. After realizing I was pistol shooting with both eyes, I started trying to shoot plain bead sight with both eyes. Not too good at it yet. I have shot clays and wing shoot, but I'm pretty sure I shoot with one eye.

I mainly shoot clays with one eye but for quick target acquisition I always start with two and will occasionally shoot with both.

Back