• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where’s the Beef ?

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I’m ok on bullets so this isn’t a personal rant, just a question …..and a possible answer.
I feel comfortable with what I got but there simply is never enough when it comes to a consumable.

Ammo companies haven’t quit making ammo……in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they have tried to step up production.

Reloading components as well. Primers always run thin every now and then but the shortage of projectiles is crazy.

This stuff is not making it to stores, somewhere between the manufacture and the store they are being intercepted…

I have been on notification lists for projectiles for a couple months now and nothing ever comes up.
More super rare AR parts have become available than 9mm projectiles.

So, where are they going? , who can get them and either hoard them or sell them ?

Distributors?…..ammo and components have to be leaving the factory, from the factory they go to distributors, then to stores…..

Government?....they can’t pass weapons bans, knew it from the beginning…..what good it a squirt gun with no water. The Feds definitely have the buying power and underhanded thought process to get ammo directly from manufactures, posing as distributors…..

Point is ammo/components are being made, it is not making it to the open market….other than the people who always have it that are selling 223 for a buck a round and 22lr for .25 cents a round people with multiple listings on Gunbroker , some equaling 10,000 or more rounds in total…….and stupid ass people buy it at insane prices

Quit it ! Pretty soon it will be acceptable pricing……quit shooting ! Sit on your ammo and make these dirty bastards eat it

I've been looking back to reloading myself and have been frustrated in the availability of components. There does seem to be something else at work here.

I have a bit of powder that appears to still be good a a few primers but I used up my supply of bullets when I was getting out of it many years ago.

Many of my firends are telling me thay want to start reloading because they can't find ammo. I just laugh and try to explain to them that reloading components are almost as scarce at the finish product right now.

My girlfriends sister bugs me several times a week because she is completely out of ammo for her 9mm. I'm surprised at how many people never saw this coming and didn't buy at least a few 100 rounds to have something on hand.

Yep - worse than the last election. The casual range shooter has been taken by surprise. I'm still running into folks who freak when I mention an ammo shortage. These are the same people whose knowledge of how to get ammo stops at Walmart and a few Internet sights. Then there are the ad adventourus few million who have decided to take to reloading before doing thst homework. ARG.

I'm still buying more than I shoot and am keeping a pretty normal schedule of matches and practice. My testing time is up because I have had to develop new ( or future alternative) loads. I may continue to get 9mm in 147 - my main club match bullet but I have stocked 124/5 well in case I have to go there. I've varied my 223 bullet type and weights from my standard 55gr (still have plenty but...) and have tested those. I've stocked 40 jhp in place of fmj for match rounds in case I need those - don't mind as that is a go to SHTF round anyhow. Primers - ugh. Stock, yes but I have developed pistol rounds using sr primers. Not so different but I have that in my books - again, in case I have to go there - next is 9 and 40 with spm primers. Yep, gotta know what works.

Due to forum friends across the country we compare notes and I've done some favor swapping. Powder is plentiful here and I'm managing with projectiles - I did get more sp primers from a friend in FL and have sent bullets and powder to more than one web buddy.

The best ( by far) reloading shop in the region is Graf's ( not the web based one by the same name) - a modest looking place 1 mile from Bass Pro and 5 miles from Cabelas - parking is in the back. There are more independant shops in the region - thank god that everybody does not know about them or have the wear-with-all to dig harder and deeper. I'm holding my own ( growing actually) but working 5X harder doing it and I only pay fair prices. Staying on schedule with a sport that I enjoy is MY small victory.

*steps off the soap box*

MikeD said:
My girlfriends sister bugs me several times a week because she is completely out of ammo for her 9mm. I'm surprised at how many people never saw this coming and didn't buy at least a few 100 rounds to have something on hand.

Sure, a lot of people are trying to buy ammo in bulk. No doubt there.

But I cannot believe for a second that a combination of domestic AND foreign ammo makers WORLDWIDE cannot produce enough ammo to keep at least some on the shelves.

I think there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Businessmen (in this case manufacturers) are not stupid people. They know when and where money can be made. And to think they have no interest in selling their product and making a decent profit from it, goes against all logic.

I have been reloading for friends that have hustled deals for reloading components.
Now it’s people my friends know …..well for my friends, the friends that will be in my fox hole…..no problem.
For others I don’t know, I have told my friends that I’ll do it for a 3rd of their components.

I have acquired a several hundred small pistol primes like this. So that’s a small bit of proof that people who don’t reload are hording this shit and have no way to reload it.

If I could buy them local I wouldn’t reload for them at all because I hate sitting down to reload 500 9mm , especially if it isn’t for me ……..but it’s a way to get components

Every reloaded I know now has requests coming their way. I like your entrepreneurial spirit - personally I'd worry a bit about FOAF and liability but the 1/3 deal is sweet just run yours as long as you are sitting there.

A couple of friends have asked if they could buy from me. I told them that I'd give them 50 so they had something but any serious number they would have to supply all components (I might part with SOME brass) - I also give them a rundown of time and steps in the process. Some folks think that you just turn on the bullet making machine-HA!

I was reading somewhere that they get to the truck and never make it out it. They buy it up and sell it on ebay for redonkulas $$....not even making it to the shelf.....

mingaa said:
Every reloaded I know now has requests coming their way. I like your entrepreneurial spirit - personally I'd worry a bit about FOAF and liability but the 1/3 deal is sweet just run yours as long as you are sitting there.

A couple of friends have asked if they could buy from me. I told them that I'd give them 50 so they had something but any serious number they would have to supply all components (I might part with SOME brass) - I also give them a rundown of time and steps in the process. Some folks think that you just turn on the bullet making machine-HA!

have you been by the Fiocchi factory and see whats going on there?
just curious.

We seem to be in a perfect storm against ammo. The big boys with contracts and fat wallets will come first. We have panic buying from the public. People that didn't shoot their gun or buy ammo stocked up. I talk to the LGS owner and he says they are pretty bare at the distributor level. He orders and takes what he can get. They spread it around and he limits to a box per caliber of what he has with no gross price gouging. I did watch as the ammo dwindled the reloading supplies followed suit a month later. I am sitting ok good but have curtailed shooting for some calibers.

From a Tea party website a month ago:
AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.

RELOADERS… ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra’s for reloading purposes… it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we’ll keep you posted…

Some words from a couple of congressmen who want answers from BigSis. They've been asking about the big ammo buys, and not getting any answers - at all.

Speaking at CPAC with Infowars and We Are Change reporter, Luke Rudkowski, Congressman Timothy Huelscamp revealed this week that the Department of Homeland Security has refused to answer questions from “multiple” members of Congress regarding its recent purchase of huge amounts of weapons and ammunition.

“They have no answer for that question. They refuse to answer to answer that.” Huelscamp said.

“I’ve got a list of various questions of agencies about multiple things. Far from being the most transparent administration in the world, they are the most closed and opaque.” The Congressman added.

“They refuse to let us know what is going on, so I don’t really have an answer for that. Multiple members of Congress are asking those questions.” he added.

“It comes down to during the budget process, during the appropriations process, are we willing to hold DHS’s feet to the fire?”

“We’re going to find out… I say we don’t fund them ’til we get an answer. Those type of things really challenge Americans. They are worried about this administration.” Huelscamp urged.

Watch the clip below:

http://www.infowars.com/big-sis-refuses ... purchases/

old mossy said:
mingaa said:

just curious.
Not yet but my neighbor writes for the Truth About Guns and has made contact - a trip may be pending - FWIW I'll have my camera - we'll try and not just get stiffed with the company prepared marketing statement.

It's a day trip to and from but he's interested as am I.

Cracking the Winchester nut (just across the river) has been frustrating. They have more than one reason for being a tight lipped outfit - large government contracts and:

"...since 2004 been slowly moving pieces of Winchester from unionized East Alton, Illinois to union-free Oxford, Mississippi, starting with rimfire cartridge production, then load and pack operations, and 2010 announcement of moving the Winchester Ammunition centerfire manufacturing to Oxford, Mississippi after the union voted down ratification twice to keep the jobs in Illinois for at least seven years with a new concessions plan..."

oli700 said:
Point is ammo/components are being made, it is not making it to the open market….other than the people who always have it that are selling 223 for a buck a round and 22lr for .25 cents a round people with multiple listings on Gunbroker , some equaling 10,000 or more rounds in total…….and stupid ass people buy it at insane prices

Quit it ! Pretty soon it will be acceptable pricing……quit shooting ! Sit on your ammo and make these dirty bastards eat it

Amen. I'm not buying any over priced ammunition, I'm not gonna hang out in a long line for it either. It either gets back to normal or I'll just have to do without. Take care. Tom Worthington.

The Tea Party quote mentioned above states that Gov't ammo bids come first then LEO is next in the supply chain.

Let me tell you, that doesn't put LEO ammo purchases in any better position than retail purchasers.

From the Gulf States Distributors site, which is the distributor that supplies practically the entire deep South with ammo for law enforcement agencies....

http://www.gulfstatesdist.com

"DELIVERY
As you probably know by now delivery of ammunition orders is taking longer than in the past. Some orders can take up to 12 months for delivery. This is an industry wide problem and not just limited to our suppliers. We encourage you to plan ahead.
"

Let me tell you, that doesn't put LEO ammo purchases in any better position than retail purchasers.

You have that right Nitesite. I have read about LEO's running low on ammo too. I guess that leaves the feds with creating the shsortage.

mingaa said:
old mossy said:
mingaa said:

just curious.
Not yet but my neighbor writes for the Truth About Guns and has made contact - a trip may be pending - FWIW I'll have my camera - we'll try and not just get stiffed with the company prepared marketing statement.

It's a day trip to and from but he's interested as am I.

Cracking the Winchester nut (just across the river) has been frustrating. They have more than one reason for being a tight lipped outfit - large government contracts and:

"...since 2004 been slowly moving pieces of Winchester from unionized East Alton, Illinois to union-free Oxford, Mississippi, starting with rimfire cartridge production, then load and pack operations, and 2010 announcement of moving the Winchester Ammunition centerfire manufacturing to Oxford, Mississippi after the union voted down ratification twice to keep the jobs in Illinois for at least seven years with a new concessions plan..."

Dang it! We were trying to keep that a secret! :D :lol: ;)

Any updates?

As a side note, I read that one of our more popular gun shops here has gone from taking several calls per week for Core 15 rifles to 1-3 daily and a good portion of them from south of the line.

Back