• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where do you keep your HD weapon?

Not that I would answer that in an open forum, but you posed the question: "Where do you keep your HD weapon?"

I would have to ask, which one?

I'm usually within arms reach or at least within a few feet of a hot gun regardless of where I am in my house.

I also have security on all sides and both levels of my home.

Nothing gets within 20 feet any direction of my house without me knowing. Not even a cat.

Not that I would answer that in an open forum, but you posed the question: "Where do you keep your HD weapon?"

I would have to ask, which one?

I'm usually within arms reach or at least within a few feet of a hot gun regardless of where I am in my house.

I also have security on all sides and both levels of my home.

Nothing gets within 20 feet any direction of my house without me knowing. Not even a cat.

^I'm in that camp

The gun on the nightstand may as well be a million miles away if you're snuggled up on the couch w/ the ol' lady, or in the loo droppin' a mean deuce when the door crashes in. We have lets say a few, maybe possibly several guns around the house. I've got cameras, but they're just decoys to keep honest folks honest. My thought is, God forbid I ever have a fatal shoot in my own home, no tellin' what a prosecutor or jury may infer from a recording. I'd just rather keep my recounting the only recounting of what happend. We have a dog, a big ass pitbull actually. Short, wide, ripped, w/ cropped ears, intimidating as hell lookin', but he's about as effective a guard dog as a bunny rabbit would be.

I don't have cameras either.

But these are really cool. You can program each one with a custom message. Whether it is front porch, living room door or back yard or coming up the driveway or whatever you want it to say.

Myself, in order to maximize the message, I played a different tone, siren, or alarm sound for each of the 6 sensors and also spoke as to which area the sensors covers. Then I know exactly where the movement is, and thus which area I need to check.

It was kinda expensive, but I've used it a lot and won't hesitate to recommend it to anyone that is looking for such a system, but motion sensor alarms are handy. And is a lot less expensive than monthly fee's associated with an alarm company that may be a thousand miles away that doesn't do anything until AFTER the home is breached. This alarm is proactive. In meaning that it lets me know when something is around BEFORE it reaches the house.

I agree. Any HD firearm in an ideal world should be the LAST thing you need to ACTUALLY use, the last line of defence. But hey, it happens.

Where I live in Spain my Glocks, Para Ordnance and Norinco 9mm and .45acp pistols are required to be stored in locked Police approved gun safes when not in use. So although I have them they are not really an option LEGALLY for HD.

So........................my solution is three fold. Of a night time the 12g Maverick pump by the bedside cabinet, full mag and empty chamber. Reason being is that there is no legal requirement for shotguns nor .22 rifles to be locked up in approved security cabinets when not in use.

The Cops here have no problem with "Escopetas para defensa de la casa" here.

However when I am away from the house Mr Maverick is locked in a steel cabinet, after all we don't want to come home and find Billy the burglar pointing my own gun at us do we !

Mr Maverick is backed up by two revolvers. During the night a .44 calibre Pietta 1858 Remington New Army reproduction sits on the bedside cabinet fully stuffed. I have a fully stuffed spare cylinder in the drawer as well.

Like the shotgun and .22 rifles there is no legal requirement to lock up "PISTOLAS AVANCARGAS" (muzzle loading handguns) here either. During the day Mr Pietta is always within reach. No children live here either.

Away from home I leave it easily accessible from a concealed compartment very near to the front door for when we return home.

Loaded carefully and with Remington caps it has NEVER failed to go BANG when I let rip with it. Super accurate too.

I also have another AVANCARGA revolver. A .31 calibre Pietta 1863 Remington Pocket revolver. Pocket being the operative word. Because that is what I have taken to be doing with it. It sits in a reinforced trouser pocket and is with me at all times around the house lately. Again with properly fitting caps and carefully loaded I have found it to be reliable.

In any event the revolvers would hopefully buy me the time to get to the shotgun if the SHTF.

Last edited:
Like others im not saying where I keep my HD weapons but every room is covered in one way or another. Some more than others, but I have a thing for protecting my family and I. Just hope you get lucky and don't choose my house to break in.

I always have one of the four guns I own within reach at night and while I am home. My home isn't very big, so I can get to a gun very quickly if needed. I feel safe here, but there have been break in's recently around town related to drugs. Therefore, I always have something ready.

Dogs are the best defense.
However, my dog is a rescued hunter (Plott Hound, not the Vizsla in my avatar), and she won't make a peep or lift her head up when a stranger comes into my house (unless she thinks they have treats).
Anyway, I use these cheap magnets from Home Depot, they will fully support a lighter gun horizontally or upside down, and heavier guns vertically.
image.jpeg

We're lucky to live where we do. Not one issue here in 13 years. We do have large dogs who protect the house.
Nobody could kick my doors in. Security doors on all egress.
I won't post about the security system.

I won't mention the HD gun as it's not exactly "on the official roster". I keep it close at hand at night.

Last edited:
Dogs are the best defense.
However, my dog is a rescued hunter (Plott Hound, not the Vizsla in my avatar), and she won't make a peep or lift her head up when a stranger comes into my house (unless she thinks they have treats).
Anyway, I use these cheap magnets from Home Depot, they will fully support a lighter gun horizontally or upside down, and heavier guns vertically.
View attachment 10118
That's a cool idea. Gonna hafta check my local Home Depot for some of those magnets.

Ive seen gun mounts that use magnets to hold it under a desk etc. Ive read lots on concerns people had with regards to metal parts in striker fired guns but I have never heard of a discharge or other issues as a result.

I just worry about the moving parts on my gun becoming magnetized. Especially with some "all metal" guns.

Ive seen gun mounts that use magnets to hold it under a desk etc. Ive read lots on concerns people had with regards to metal parts in striker fired guns but I have never heard of a discharge or other issues as a result.

I've wondered about that too. I use a much stronger magnetic holder for my knives, and it does magnetize them (which is actually convenient sometimes). But they only hold the magnetic charge briefly.

I have had that exact safe for about 8 months. I keep my S&W 686 in there at night. So far I have no complaints.
No complains either. It was one of the few I saw on YouTube that couldn't be opened with a paper clip or shim to hit the reset button, energize the solenoid, or release the catch. I've read it's best run with Duracells.

I open and close it almost every day, as I rotate which gun I want to have at the ready. Price was right, and I feel like it made sense for my situation. Not the best, certainly not the worst.

Back