• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where do you keep your HD weapon?

c492921d089a4ed69274ffcdea311712.jpg

If anyone makes it past Princess Cuddlepants (doubtful) then I have a G21 in the kitchen, a P229 in the night stand (in quick access pistol boxes) and a 590A1 in a cabinet mounted on the wall by the bed.

I like simplex lock boxes because they don't rely on batteries. Simplex combo locks can be worked out with some time though since each button only works once. Probably not the right choice if you've got a problem child in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread. I too have active cameras, couple dogs, deadbolts doors, no kids, spotlights, and me and the GF are armed. The last thing I'd want is to shoot an assailant but between me or him I'm not losing.

I also have neighbors that has been robbed 3-4 times, so the target is on their house. Read in here that thieves will take path of least resistance? Well it's definitely there, but they're painting a target on everyone's house on the street IMO.

I like the ideas presented in here, love the American flag case mount.

My two shotguns are both under my bed and the ammo is behind a bunch of stuff in the closet. I always keep them unloaded, actions open, and secured with cable locks and trigger locks. I just ran a timed drill for the first time, and it took me 81 seconds to get up, grab the 500, go get the ammo, take off the trigger lock, and fully load it.
I've been a gun owner for a total of a month and a half, and as yet I do not have a safe or cabinet. A no-no for my situation, I know; I'll get around to it, I promise. I do have kids in my house, but being that my daughters are 3 and 6 I don't worry too much about them finding the guns, wanting to mess with them, finding the ammo, defeating the trigger locks and cable locks (good luck with that, girls), loading them, and taking off the safeties. I know that I should secure them a bit better though.
I've never intended for them to be HD weapons. Our neighborhood is very quiet; I've seen the cops around here twice in four years, once for a house fire and once when the neighbors had an internal spat. We have a monitored alarm which is LOUD when it's tripped, everyone sleeps on the second floor, and burglars generally aren't looking for human sacrifices, just TVs and maybe silverware.

Last edited:
Great thread. I too have active cameras, couple dogs, deadbolts doors, no kids, spotlights, and me and the GF are armed. The last thing I'd want is to shoot an assailant but between me or him I'm not losing.

I also have neighbors that has been robbed 3-4 times, so the target is on their house. Read in here that thieves will take path of least resistance? Well it's definitely there, but they're painting a target on everyone's house on the street IMO.

I like the ideas presented in here, love the American flag case mount.
I agree 100% with the path of least resistance way of thinking...that is for your average prowler (read drug addict looking for easily liquidatable goods).

I hate to say it but you make your neighbour the more enticing target by leaving a few lights on inside and outside the house. So many houses are in blackness all night long. Lots of cover for prowlers.

We have deadbolts, anti-pry door guards, motion sensor lighting for the more hidden areas of the yard. We leave several outside lights on and at least one light on inside every night.

We've never been broken into and never had an attempt that I'm aware of. Neighbouring houses have all been hit at one time or another over the last 20 years. Not aware of any recent activity.

There are firearms in the house obviously...but I ain't sayin where.

I just thought of something. Since burglars obviously do NOT want to encounter anyone, does my two story home look like a more attractive target than a one story since the occupants are more likely to be upstairs at night?
I would still think that setting off the alarm would send them fleeing in short order. Or if they think that maybe they could still grab a few things quickly, the sound of the Mossberg racking might make them Usain Bolt out of there.

I just thought of something. Since burglars obviously do NOT want to encounter anyone, does my two story home look like a more attractive target than a one story since the occupants are more likely to be upstairs at night?
I would still think that setting off the alarm would send them fleeing in short order. Or if they think that maybe they could still grab a few things quickly, the sound of the Mossberg racking might make them Usain Bolt out of there.
I'd say it's unlikely they'd automatically assume everyone sleeps on the 2nd floor. Many houses have different bedroom layouts.

As I said above...a few lights on goes a long way to discouraging a prowler or a B&E at night. You are correct...most of them bad guys don't want to be seen. The ones that do...probably aren't there to steal your DVD player. That's where your HD SG comes in.;)

NO CHILDREN,AT HOME 930 SPX BW IN CORNER BOUT 18 IN. REACH FROM MY BED.
10 MM,ALSO 3 BOSTON TERRIERS TO WAKE ME UP.

No children at home for me. Motion detector lights outdoors for night, home alarm system, and a dog. If all of that fails the last line of defense is always within reach.

My shotgun is under my bed in a locked case, unloaded but with 2 rounds of 00 Buck and 2 foster slugs in the side saddle. Keys are on my person at all times. This might take a bit longer to make ready, but the way my one-story home is laid out, a nighttime intruder probably isn't going to enter on my "sleeping quarters" side of the house due to higher elevation from the foundations. Since our dog would be going INSANE if someone even got close to the house, I'd have more than fair warning of a break-in. Assuming they are there to rob us and not specifically harm us, most valuables are located farther away from our living space, so it would mean having to sweep and clear a large, dark house solo...something I do not want to do, but something I have trained for. If they are there to harm us, and they know exactly where our rooms are, the doors are locked, the bed is going over and I'll be waiting for them with fixed bayonet...thankfully that is worst-case-scenario. There's also an outside access door to our master room, so hopefully I could evacuate family members to our vehicles in an emergency.

My shotgun is under my bed in a locked case, unloaded but with 2 rounds of 00 Buck and 2 foster slugs in the side saddle. Keys are on my person at all times. This might take a bit longer to make ready, but the way my one-story home is laid out, a nighttime intruder probably isn't going to enter on my "sleeping quarters" side of the house due to higher elevation from the foundations. Since our dog would be going INSANE if someone even got close to the house, I'd have more than fair warning of a break-in. Assuming they are there to rob us and not specifically harm us, most valuables are located farther away from our living space, so it would mean having to sweep and clear a large, dark house solo...something I do not want to do, but something I have trained for. If they are there to harm us, and they know exactly where our rooms are, the doors are locked, the bed is going over and I'll be waiting for them with fixed bayonet...thankfully that is worst-case-scenario. There's also an outside access door to our master room, so hopefully I could evacuate family members to our vehicles in an emergency.

BWHALE, FOR ME THAT IS ONE POOR FREAKING LINE OF DEFENSE.

BWHALE, FOR ME THAT IS ONE POOR FREAKING LINE OF DEFENSE.

On the basis of what? I'm not going to kill someone just because they want to steal my beans. Detain them maybe, if the opportunity and their state of mind presents itself, but I'd rather leave that job to local LE, whom I do trust. The bad guy has to present a clear threat to receive death, even if they are criminals and hooligans. My HD weapon is there for exactly that- defense, not blitzing through the house and killing everything I find. I don't think you should partake in a gunfight if at all possible. Like someone else said on this forum, the average number of shots fired/exchanged in a situation is 2. Not 9, not 50. I am regularly training with my weapon; I know what it can do. And I know myself, and what I will do, as I have practiced and trained for it. Barricading everyone into one secure room is much safer than going Rambo.

On the basis of what? I'm not going to kill someone just because they want to steal my beans. Detain them maybe, if the opportunity and their state of mind presents itself, but I'd rather leave that job to local LE, whom I do trust. The bad guy has to present a clear threat to receive death, even if they are criminals and hooligans. My HD weapon is there for exactly that- defense, not blitzing through the house and killing everything I find. I don't think you should partake in a gunfight if at all possible. Like someone else said on this forum, the average number of shots fired/exchanged in a situation is 2. Not 9, not 50. I am regularly training with my weapon; I know what it can do. And I know myself, and what I will do, as I have practiced and trained for it. Barricading everyone into one secure room is much safer than going Rambo.

BROODINGWHALE, Ok my friend,we all different. You got your way, I got mine. Sorry if I offended you.

*UPDATE* Now that 12 gauge reloading kit is completed, I have 50 rounds of buckshot manufactured by my bedside. Not sure how I would deploy all those in a defensive situation, but nice to have on hand I suppose.

...I like simplex lock boxes because they don't rely on batteries. Simplex combo locks can be worked out with some time though since each button only works once. Probably not the right choice if you've got a problem child in the house.
KabaSimplexLock02_450.jpg

Be aware that although Simplex locks will make unauthorized access to contents difficult, they are vulnerable. With enough time they yield to exhausting the limited combinations. With the right equipment it takes about zero time.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...0-lock-you-can-break-in-seconds/#2c22143c2672

My setup is similar to the one frankb showed. Two G30, flashlight, but without the fancy mount.

-- Edited to correct clumsy wording.

Last edited:
No children here, so I have various things in various rooms, pretty much nowhere in the house that there isn't close access to something.

No youngsters in the house these days and I`m the first line of defense....I keep a revolver near by and my little shotgun is within reach loaded with the safety on.

KabaSimplexLock02_450.jpg

Be aware that although Simplex locks will make unauthorized access to contents difficult, they are vulnerable. With enough time they yield to exhausting the limited combinations. With the right equipment it takes about zero time.

Yes. That's why I said they might not be a good idea with a problem child in the house. A 5 digit simplex lock that doesn't have "half presses" will have less than 1100 possible combinations available to it. That includes all of the simultaneous button combo options. 1100 sounds like a lot but it isn't. The list of combos can be printed from the web and a person with time can quickly run through them and check them off. It can quickly be down without the list also if the person understands what numbers are available and can be systematic about it.

I think they're sufficient to discourage idle curiosity but a determined person with a little time will beat them.

Back