• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where is the love for the old Model 183

RussMo

.22LR
I have had this old Mossberg M-183DF since 1965. Still have the original pouch w/extra choke and the choke wrench ;) . It was my 1st gun and I've shot alot of small game with this joker. Dad tought me from the time I was about 5 years old on how to handle a firearm and at age 9 I guess he figured I could have my own. He never would hand me more than 2 shells at a time so I learned to hit what I was shooting at. So here is my oldest firearm that I hold very dear.
041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

047.jpg

I've got a 183KE with C-Lect Choke. She's a sweetheart. I traded an Ithaca M66 Super Single 20 ga for it, straight up. :mrgreen:
I like to take her out with me at dusk when I put the chickens up for the night just in case there's a woodland creature lurking about looking for a chicken dinner.
First round up is a 3" #6 birdshot, if that don't get it done, the next is aWinchester 3" OOO buck. :shock:

Nice....the wood looks nice n worn in....Its great you still have it in working condition too.
. I have a 410 mini. It's great. I have some targets in my backyard and when I get home from work I fire up a few rounds before the wife gets home. (It's her xmas present) I really need to look into getting a bolt action wood stock so I can either refinish it or make my own.

That's a nice looking gun. I've never shot a bolt action shotgun before, I need to add that to my bucket list.

MikeD said:
That's a nice looking gun. I've never shot a bolt action shotgun before, I need to add that to my bucket list.
My first shotgun, bought for $15 when I was in the 9th grade 50 years ago was a Mossberg 12 ga bolt action. Unfortunately it's long gone. I'm a big fan of old Mossberg bolt shotguns and 22 rifles, but as more people discover how neat they are prices are rising.
At the moment, besides the .410 I have a 20 ga Model 85D made sometime between 1940 & 1946. Some anonymous Bubba at some point in time took a hacksaw to the muzzle and cut off the threads for the choke tube and killed any collector value it had. :evil:
Oh, well, I needed a good farm gun and the price was right.
Be careful - if you ever shoot an old Mossberg bolt shotgun, you will not be able to rest until you own one for yourself. ;)

Back