• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which 10/22 magazine

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I know there are a lot of different choices for the 10/22, but I'm wanting to find out which magazines are the most reliable.

I prefer 25 round magazines if I can find them.

Perhaps a good drum mag.

I'm just not sure which are good mags and which are not.

We have had great success with all of the Ruger brand magazines for the 10/22. Bill Ruger is probably rolling in his grave over them. I tried a Butler Creek and had a minimum of 2 of 25 fail to feed with ammo the Ruger's had no issue with. We tried a different brand of ammo and had the same issue. It's collecting dust in the basement along with a no name magazine I picked up at a gun show that was even worse. I did buy one of the BX25 2x and while it fed just fine it felt awkward and bulky on the little carbine. Good luck John.

I read a lot on the subject a couple of years ago. Almost everyone said the Riger mags are far better than the aftermarket mags, so that's all I bought. I have the 10-rounders that came with my rifles and all the rest are BX25s.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. A little later on, I'll pick up a few more mags for it and I wasn't really sure if there were any mags that were a lot better than others and why I wanted to ask first so I didn't start a stockpile of junk mags that don't work.

While I'm thinking about it, what's the difference of the bx stuff? I noticed bx trigger groups and mags specifically. Are they supposed to be somehow better?

In regards to my trigger group, it's really pretty bad. I've dry fired it a few times and you have to get a run-n-go to pull it because it's so long of a pull before the hammer releases. Not gritty, though somewhat rough but it feels like you have to pull it across the state line before it lets go.

ProMags suck in the 10/22. Had two of them I returned because I couldn't get thru them without multiple jams. I stuck with the Ruger brand mags and didn't have any issues with them. May get to start shooting it and my Marlin again now that 22LR is starting to show up on shelves again.

Bill Ruger is probably rolling in his grave over them.

You're probably right.

To be honest, I have intentionally NOT bought any Ruger guns, specifically because of bill ruger and his views and actions.

But knowing that he's been dead for a few years now, and in seeing how the company has went a different direction from how he ran it, I couldn't help but to think about something that I was taught as I was growing up.

Paraphrasing: Don't judge the sons for the sins of the father.

So, I have cautiously relaxed my view from what I have harbored for the last 3 decades.

The only other Ruger product that I have is an old P85 (that came with a 15 or 16 round mag from the factory). And I didn't buy it when I got it either.

To be perfectly honest, the only reason I have it now is because I traded a Pioneer cassette deck car stereo for it because I wanted something that had more than 10 rounds of ammo during the ban and that's how I ended up with it.

I have several 10 round Ruger mags as well as 2 Butler Creek steel lip 25 round mags. I have no complaints with either.

The 25 rounders do hang down a good bit compared to the 10s, but that should be expected. I shoot mostly from a tack driver bag/rest.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

I have mainly the Ruger 10 rnd mags, both black and clear, and a couple of the Butler Creek steel lips 25 rnds.

All the Ruger mags and both my BC's work fine, but I found that the BC mags were either really reliable, or jam-o-matics.... I think I've had 4 over the years, the 2 I currently have work fine, the other 2 didn't, so I dumped them.

Don't go for the Ram-line double stackers... they're a POS.

I bought a new 10/22 a couple of weeks ago and an extra 10 rd mag just last week. I read here about the mags and decided to just stay with the 10 round mags for now. I have not had an opportunity to shoot the gun yet.

The 10 round mags are OK.

I did find one of the dual 25 round mags that are molded together for $29 so ended up with one, but I haven't used it yet.

Mine has been a very accurate little 22. I scoped it and it will tear the bullseye out of a target at 25 yards.

Ruger 10/22 50 round "belt feed" mag.

50rnd.gif

When I bought my 10/22 my mentor offered to sell me this mag. It was a mag that had a spring driven sprocket at the large end and a slotted rubber belt. It did feed pretty reliably. Now I am sort of sorry I didn't buy it because it just a neat piece of machinery. But it was a pain [impossible] to shoot well prone. I have a red dot scope and I like to pretend I'm a sniper. :sniper:

Those were (and maybe still are) available over in the Uk too, although pretty expensive.
After we lost our pistols, those of us that shot IPSC ("Practical Pistol" as we called) comps switched to Practical mini-rifle... the 10/22 was the standard rifle, and of course the higher capacity the better, so many people bought those 50 rounders. I made do with Butler Creek 25 rounders.

I would recommend the BX-25 mags. The OEM 10-rounders work good as long as someone hasn't taken them apart... :eek: I know people that have had issues with Butler Creek and the only reason they bought them was because that is all they could get during the period of gouging/scarcity after the Newtown conspiracy...

I had a BX-25x2 "50" rounder that worked OK but I felt was clunky and I sold it for what I paid for it in original packaging. I don't think the convenience was worth the extra width and height in the gun. Two BX-25s would be a better investment.

I finally went out and shot the 10/22. I love it. Reloading was the only drawback. I have two 10 round factory mags. I put 100 rounds through it, so spent some time reloading. It's sure fun to shoot.

I enjoyed shooting mine too.

Still haven't shot the dual mag though.

The price of .22 ammo is much easier on the wallet as well. I think the ammo I was shooting was like 10 cents a round. Anyways, I am looking forward to taking it out again soon.

Good deal.

There are a few little things I'd like to do to my 10/22. But not much. For what I want it for, it seems plenty accurate enough.

I like the wood stock on mine, but the wood is so soft. Dings really easily and even the stain wasn't done completely. There are spots where it seems it was missed altogether. Bugs me to death. Whatever it is, is sure not a hardwood. I could probably make a big crater in the wood pushing with my thumbnail to be honest.

I have been patient in looking for a better alternative and got a used PLASTIC stock from ebay tonight for $20 plus $8 for shipping. I simply wasn't willing to pay $100 or more for one. That's half of what the whole gun costs.

I believe that I'll do a camo dip on it, similar to, or perhaps the same pattern that I put on my savage.

Or maybe a pattern near the natural gear camo that I like so well.

The 10 round Ruger mags are probably the most reliable. I have a couple Bx-25s that work just fine. Also, I have a couple of the Bx-15 round mags. Kinda rare, but they work fine too. They are a good compromise if you're shooting from a bench.

Last edited:
I have thought about buying a couple more mags. I'd probably just stay with the 10 rounders. I like the flush fit and they don't add an appreciable amount of weight to the rifle.

Back