• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which 10/22 magazine

After getting the dual 25, I can say that I'm more fond of the 10 rounders too.

I have question i should know answer to but i dont. I have 5 of the ten rounders my rifle is over 30 yrs old how do you clean the mags ? Several of mine are pretty nasty.

Don't know. I've never cleaned one.

Yet.

Found this though so I'll know how to when I do.

Yep, as in the video... its just the sprng tension to get correct at the end.

(Although I wouldn't recommend loading it into a rifle to check it works..!!!)

Well il give it to ruger they work a very long time without cleaning i can attest. Mine still function fine just kinda cruddy thought a cleaning may be in order after 30 years of nasty 22 ammo lol

Thanks for video. Just pulled first one apart its pretty gritty in there and oily ? Anyhow il get this one done try it out if all goes well il do the others. Note my old ones dont have 10 round marked on end and the gear is black not orange.20170719_153336.jpg 20170719_153826.jpg 20170719_153849.jpg

Thanks again John clean as a whistle now. Easy job took a lil more dexterity than it looked to wind spring holding that little nut but all good. Note i actually ended up turning 1.5 turns or 480 degrees. Also cleaned vanes on rotor they were cruddy. Works great tested and fired 20 rounds.
20170719_160458.jpg

Last edited:
WTG. My original 10/22 mag is so old, (1973) it has a flat tip screw driver slot instead of the Allen wrench slot. I took it apart once, a couple of years ago. Like you said, holding that little nut while trying to tighten it is a bugger.

LOL, before the interwebz, I didn't know you could even take them apart. If I had disassembled one, I probably would have never gotten it back together right. The original magazine probably only had 2500 rounds through it when I took it apart to clean it. From 1973 until about 2008, it was the only mag I had for the 10/22. Now I've got a couple BX-25s, BX-15s, and 5 of the BX-10's, .thanks again to the internet.

While I'm thinking about it, what's the difference of the bx stuff? I noticed bx trigger groups and mags specifically. Are they supposed to be somehow better?

In regards to my trigger group, it's really pretty bad. I've dry fired it a few times and you have to get a run-n-go to pull it because it's so long of a pull before the hammer releases. Not gritty, though somewhat rough but it feels like you have to pull it across the state line before it lets go.

I don't know if you've already upgraded your trigger yet, but you have a couple of (fairly) inexpensive choices. You can install a Volquartsen hammer.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004752381/volquartsen-target-hammer-with-bushings-ruger-10-22

Which is what I did, by the way. I now have an awesome, crisp, clean trigger pull that breaks at 2½ pounds.

Or, you can spend approximately double that, and install The Ruger BX trigger group.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...d-assembly-ruger-10-22-25-30-lb-polymer-black

I honestly don't know which one is better, but for me, I don't know how the BX could beat the VQ hammer.

Actually, there is a 3rd option. The Brimstone trigger rework. This is highly recommended by folks on the Rimfire Central forum. Price is very reasonable, but you have to send your trigger group to them. It is actually cheaper than the other two options too.

https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.co...0-22/products/tier-3-basic-10-22-trigger-work

Last edited:
If any of my ten-round rotary mags get so full of schmutz that cleaning becomes necessary, I think I will just order some new ones.

Thanks Ghmann.

I didn't know about the volquartson hammer.

Though I have already bought the bx trigger. I think I got it for about $65 from ebay.

Though I turned around and sold the trigger group that came on the gun for about $35 with shipping, so it worked out about the same cost.

The bx trigger was a vast improvement over the trigger group that came on the gun.

Back