• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

Gunner said:
I can get by nicely with the factory safety button, though I do like the looks of the brownells safety button and am going to give one a try. I've ordered it along with a new screw...just in case I bugger it up backing it out.

Cool, I think I will just have the gunsmith that is going to do my cerakote refinish install it and the side saddle. Less I have to worrry about so to speak.

tnxdshooter said:
Gunner said:
I can get by nicely with the factory safety button, though I do like the looks of the brownells safety button and am going to give one a try. I've ordered it along with a new screw...just in case I bugger it up backing it out.

Cool, I think I will just have the gunsmith that is going to do my cerakote refinish install it and the side saddle. Less I have to worrry about so to speak.

Thats probably the safest bet to get the job done right. Besides if he slips with a screwdriver and slides off across the andonizing on the receiver he gets to fix it.

Well my safety button is here and I am liking the looks of it. Brownells was kind enough to include a set of destructions. So I'm going to have a go at it!

Since my last post I have installed the safety button. Very easy. The brownells is reversable. First I installed it with the hump foreward and that interferes with sighting down the ramp, so I reversed it hump to the back and it's perfect.

Okay now what am I supposed to do I do with the extra parts?

Gunner said:
Since my last post I have installed the safety button. Very easy. The brownells is reversable. First I installed it with the hump foreward and that interferes with sighting down the ramp, so I reversed it hump to the back and it's perfect.

Okay now what am I supposed to do I do with the extra parts?

Sell em on ebay. I just sold over 150 dollars worth of stuff over the last three days. Also, mine will have the vang comp safety on it when I get it back.

I worked as an armorer for a handful of years, we had about 40-50 Mossbergs in the Armory. I don't know how they managed to break the plastic safety buttons but they did, and when that happened I'd replace it with a metal one. I think over time (years) the plastic would get brittle and stress fracture at the screw, then it was just a matter of a sideways bump and goodby safety button.

Gunner said:
I think over time (years) the plastic would get brittle and stress fracture at the screw, then it was just a matter of a sideways bump and goodby safety button.

Makes since. Ever see any trigger guards broke ?

oli700 said:
Gunner said:
I think over time (years) the plastic would get brittle and stress fracture at the screw, then it was just a matter of a sideways bump and goodby safety button.

Makes since. Ever see any trigger guards broke ?

I don't recall seeing one broken, though they do have a weak point, the tabs that lock into the receiver can shear off if excessive force is applied during asembly.

It's a good idea to make sure all pins are flush in the trigger group and the shell stops are seated flush before trying to set the trigger group into the receiver. If done correctly the trigger group should basically drop in with little to no pressure being applied.

Good tip. Mine usually just drops right in so sounds like I'm doing it right.

Yeah! it's pretty straight forward. Set the shell stop with the pin in first and tilt the action so gravity holds it in palce and hold the other shell stop in place with a thumb. Locate the tabs in the receiver cutouts and rotate the trigger assembly into place. Piece of cake!

I use a dab of blue loctite on the threads of the safety button screw, just hedging the remore chance the screw may loosen over time and back itself out. I use it very sparingly. It's like the old saying a little goes a long way.

I really like the looks and size of the ETA safety.

Weather is getting cold and gloves are getting thicker.
I use my 500 for everything from Turkey to Skeet and plenty of Upland hunting. The safety is an absolute necessity while walking through the woods behind a dog looking for birds.

Does anyone here have one and how do you like it?

I like the vang comp systems metal one. It seems to be bigger and is a heck of alot easier to push on and off.

Choices for me in order would be;
#1 Vang
#2 ETA

The Vang looks as if it has deeper/taller/steeper ridges.

I have no issues with the factory metal safety on my 590A1, and my 500 doesnt see as much use so I'm not worried about it. If/when we get the 930, I'll def switch that out. Probably go with the Vang Comp safety.

Rossignol said:
Choices for me in order would be;
#1 Vang
#2 ETA

The Vang looks as if it has deeper/taller/steeper ridges.

I have no issues with the factory metal safety on my 590A1, and my 500 doesnt see as much use so I'm not worried about it. If/when we get the 930, I'll def switch that out. Probably go with the Vang Comp safety.

Amen

I really like the wider look of the ETA so I just ordered one.
If I like the way it works, I will get another one for my other 500.
If not then I may try the the Vang Comp or possibly the Brownells.
I really need something that makes moving the safety easier with gloves while hunting.

I just put in the Brownells with the Thumb tab.
1000% better.

I mounted it "Tab Back" and I will never miss the Safety again. Nice.

Installing was cludgy for me.
when I unscrewed the Safety, the Metal piece inside just fell away and I had to break the the whole thing down and remove the trigger to get it back in place.

PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE THE BALL BEARING AND THE SPRING GO!
It makes total sense once you see it together but if you don't see it first it takes a minute to get it.

LOVE IT! Really helps with gloves.
Need another for my other 500.

IMAG0011-1.jpg

Back