• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who All Here Shoots 3 Gun or USPSA

feegee

I was wanting to know who all shoots 3 gun or USPSA? Where do you live, and how many matches a month do you shoot?
Have you been wanting to attend a match , and just thought you did not have the equipment to Participate? Tell me your stories of how, why, and why not.

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

feegee said:
I was wanting to know who all shoots 3 gun or USPSA? Where do you live, and how many matches a month do you shoot?
Have you been wanting to attend a match , and just thought you did not have the equipment to Participate? Tell me your stories of how, why, and why not.

I do not...
East Coast, New England....
yes!, no....

I have been wanting to check out the matches. Working too much to do so. one of these days I will....

There is a strong culture of competition in the region. I shoot IDPA monthly or more and have shot 2-gun combinations and 2 events in a day frequently. My goal last year was a 3- gun match by the end of the season. The calendar got complicated and it didn't happen but my equipment is sorted (and did have a few fixes that I'm glad I discovered).

I'm ready to roll this year. I'd shoot on the 31st but an annual IDPA qualifier is on the 30th. As much as I want to load up a weekend with back-to-back shooting events my wife likes to spend SOME time together on weekends and I'll fess up to the same! 25 years and happily rolling along! :D

I shot 3-gun last year till the deer season and ammo shortages started. It is a blast but can get a bit boring. Depending on the number of shooters and courses of fire (COF), waiting time can be long followed by a minute or two of shooting.

But that being said, if ammo sales come back and costs lower I will back at it.

BTW, I started with a Beretta 92 SB compact (80's version), Mossberg 500 (80's version) and a new M4. Upgraded to a JM930 which I'll also use for 5-stand this year.

Some guys use bolt action rifles, hard on COF that require 20+ rifle rounds; revolvers (ditto on high round counts) and 5 round pumps SG's (which can be fun on the 24 round count COF). Most of the young guns have the latest everything.

One piece of equipment I put together is an older 3-wheel jogging stroller to carry 2 long guns, ammo cans, shooters bag, cooler, rain gear, chair, etc. Beats making a couple trips to move everything.

Oh yeah:
Glock 34 - (22 for Major) with hand loads 147/180
Mossberg 930 - 7+1, Williams Fire Sights
DPMS .223/5.56 - Simmons 1.5-5 X 32 scope, 45* BUIS

Requisite, belt, pouch, side saddle, mag holders...
Converted thrift store twins baby carriage retro fitted to carry guns and a LOT more to get through the day!

I'll hit a USPSA event this season too and one GSSF is close enough to enter as well!

feegee said:

Sounds like you compete, maybe you can tell us a bit of what you are up to?!?

I live in Oklahoma and luckily there is something to shoot every weekend. I shoot USPSA, 3 Gun, and Steel challenge. I was getting older and couldn't race dirt bikes and all the other crazy stuff I did when I was younger. So I was sitting on the couch one day and was watching outdoor channel and some other ones like those and noticed most of the really good shooters were older, and told my self hell this is something I can do, and it was down hill form there. I dove in head first, and the rest is history now all I eat, Breathe, and live for is Competition shooting!! It is more addictive than drugs (I think) now I have picked up a couple of smaller sponsors to help me out with reloading cost and match fees. My wife is real supportive so it's win win for me! There are some of the worlds best shooters that live here in Oklahoma that I get to shoot with and learn from. So if any of you guys live in Oklahoma or are ever coming through let me know I have enough gear to get you out there shooting with me!!!
As if now I run
Glock 24
930 SPX and a MKA 1919
Loki 3 gun AR
I am trying to get the funds for a Limited STI

I have shot 3gun but more of a pistol guy ... So Yes I shoot USPSA
I live in SoCal
I shoot usually twice a month. Sometimes 4 times a month if scheduling allows...

I occasionally drop in and shoot in a IDPA practice league but I don't do any actual matches.

I've been wanting to try 3-gun or ACTS matches but have not done it yet. I'm not sure, I guess just still a little hesitant to jump in and put myself out there.

MikeD said:
I occasionally drop in and shoot in a IDPA practice league but I don't do any actual matches.

I've been wanting to try 3-gun or ACTS matches but have not done it yet. I'm not sure, I guess just still a little hesitant to jump in and put myself out there.

It is best to just go jump in head first there will be people that will help you out. Some of the best people you will ever meet will be the shooting community. We have people come out to watch and before you know it everyone is loaning them guns, caddy's, and whatever else they need to have a good time. So grab up some gear and get out there and have some fun, and tell us how it went!!

Feegee, I would love to come down and shoot in OK! There is a lot of clubs in the KC area, I usually only get to USPSA and sometimes the multigun at Mill Creek PSA. Everything you say, great club, lots of shooters, and everybody is willing to teach and learn. I started 3 gun last year with a 930 with 18.5 cyl barrel, AR I built myself (red dot optic) and 92fs...kept me honest on the fundamentals, because all those platforms were unforgiving in one way or another.

Now I'm running a M&P9 for USPSA (production) and 3gun, and the 930 with a 24" barrel and just bought out Brownells to upgrade my AR - pictures to come soon when they are all done.

If you EVER get a chance, go up and shoot the Ozark 3gun Championship. Great match, tough courses, and top shooters always come to that, and the prize table is top notch. Shot it last year, was a lot of fun, won't be able to get there this year because I'm shooting the level 1 match at Mill Creek.

Like your avatar, Jerry is a hell of a lot of fun to watch shoot...

Was shooting USPSA and IDPA, but I blew out my lower back. Had surgery and am going through the PT stage now. Soon will be back at it though.

I started off shooting USPSA. Started with Single Stack, went to Limited, and now shoot Open. I shot USPSA mostly because ammo for the AR's was really hard to find after the panic buying started a couple of years ago. So while I waited for the ammo to come back I built up and upgraded my 3gun gear. I was shooting 2 to 3 USPSA matches a month. My local club which is 10 minutes from me had 9 to 10 USPSA matches a month.

Last November, I started shooting 3gun once I was able to stock up on some ammo, and now shoot 2 matches a month. I also will still shoot a USPSA match now and then, but prefer 3gun.

And I am in the Tampa Bay area in Florida

Nice....u stay busy...it is an addicting sport

I have a very understanding Wife, and am lucky enough to live in FL were we can shoot year round. Winters here mean you just don't sweat to death while shooting. Within a 2 hour drive there are 9 ranges that host USPSA and 2gun. And one of them is a world class range, Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof. That's were the World Shoot just was, and the IDPA Nationals. My local club is about 10 minutes from my house.

I am almost ready with the pistol to try my first 3 gun match. I need to find a range where I can shoot bird shot and I can practice the types of loading with live ammo.

I only have about 200 rounds through my JM Pro I feel that I need to get to know it better before shooting a match. The last time I shot it was back in Aug and I need to relearn it. Last night I picked up a 100 rounds of Federal 8 shot and I plan go out next weekend spend the day dropping deuces and trying to learn the Matchsaverz that will be in the mail Monday morning. After that I will be in a better position to figure out if I am ready to start my first match.

If there was Heavy Metal 3-gun match anywhere close to me I would love to go and shoot with my duty guns* and waste my money and lose badly.

1911A1 Gov't .45Auto
590 8+1
M1A Scout Squad

Real honest-to-God wood stocks on them all, BTW.

Maybe I could win the Dinosaur Prize or something.

Back