• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who wrote the 2A?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I am doing some research and cannot find definitively who exactly wrote the 2A?

I can see where many of the founding fathers mentioned it, even in slightly different terms such as Samuel Adams, James Madison and several others looking in different texts at the time.

So, it may be impossible to find out who exactly wrote the 2A, does anyone know who actually submitted the 2A to be included in the Bill of Rights?

From what I have read Madison was the leading proponent but John Adams was a big supporter too. The Framers had input on all of the bill of rights and they looked to the state Constitutions for input for the 2nd Amendment. As you noted a case could be made for the person that introduced the legislation to Congress to amend the Constitution. I tried to find that but came up empty.

It looks like Madison introduced the legislation for all the amendments that would become know as the Bill Of Rights. Thank you National Archives. If you follow the link and scroll down you will find the 2A. The drafted text he introduced is a bit different from what was approved.

https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/bor

At the Constitution center last year they have a room with life sized statues of all the frames. I had my picture taken with James Madison. He was a short guy like me...about 5'-6"

Back