• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who's ready for a little fishing?

MT2

I looked for a sub forum but guess we dont have one for fishing. Ive been getting my head right finally got a break in the weather so tomorrow Im going back to a local lake I call Dink Lake. You really have to want to find the good ones here, I catch ALOT of 6-10" bass but also find myself every year showing people proof Im not wasting my time. This year Ive decided to harvest fish in the 14-18" range to test and see if overpopulation isnt part of the problem. Not that I think I can make a huge impact but if I keep those size fish if Im right Im sure it will help.

Not to mention I have a date with a toad, I made on mistake last year and lost a fish of a lifetime. This fish was hooked during the heat wave of last year. I remember most of that day way to clearly for a lost fish, it was 80 degrees outside at 5am. I was pitching a custom football jig up around some fallen branches when BAM! The fight was unreal, I was actually beleiving I might of just hooked myself into a nice catfish. I got her up to the edge of the bank, and I saw her clearly. This fish had to be in the 7-8# class, for some reason still to this day I smack myself thinking about it. I went to flip this fish over the rocky bank onto the paved walking path. And next thing I knew, was I broke out into a cold sweat and got a case of dry heaves. All I had to do was lip this fish but no, I gave to much credit to 60# braided line and my heavy action Quantam Tommy Biffle Sig. Series rod and tried to flip this fish, cosing slack in the line and a lost wall hanger.

Here is a pic of the biggest fish I caught out there last year clipping right at 4lb according to my Berkley digital scale.
100_1314_zps17ba4b08.jpg

Here is a picture from 2011, it my oldest son first bass caught on a beetle spin, using my late grandfather old Zebco 20/10 spincast. This moment was one that kinda had me choking backing the joy. My grandfather was essential in making me a avid angler and while he wasnt able to ever go out with my son, who caught his fish fish at 2 years old, due to poor health. By my son using one of his favorite reels I felt like my grandfather was with us in more ways than usual. Im pretty sure also that my first bass came fishing with my grandfather with the same color beetle spin.
102_0254_zps8fdcc4a8.jpg

Hopefully this year will continue the memorys as well as my youngest son turns 2 in July. So hopefully he'll to catch his first fish this year.

I like to drown a worm every now and then.

Wishing your son good luck landing his first. Those always manage to grow every time they tell someone about it :lol:

A story has to start somewhere. ;)

Good luck reelin em in!

I cant wait till this snow melts away and fishing season is here!!

I wa hoping to get out while on break, but weather has not been good. I did help trout unlimited stock fish this morning though. I hope to break out the fly rod sometime in the next few weeks, I think the weather is finally going to break.

Man I haven't been out fishing for a few years.

Just moved this past summer and we're about five miles from the local lake now. Guess it's time to dust off the gear...

MikesFish_zps51362410.jpg

How's this for a little fishing? LOL

No it's not bait and yes I actually caught it.

Needless to say this years ice fishing season has not been that productive.

Brrrr, ice fishing. Here in warm n sunny Louisiana, our bass are already on the beds ready to spawn :D
Gonna hit Toledo Bend next weekend. I'd go this weekend but the bassmasters elite series is fishing in my back yard starting tomorrow, so I'm gonna stick around here and follow the leaders this weekend, then watch the weigh ins. Should be interesting to see what the weights will be, since the Sabine River isn't known for giant bass!

Ill have to start posting pics up. I'm an avid fisherman myself, I live in one of the best places in the world for it. Last year I found myself a honey hole on the crooked river near my place. Caught 14 rainbows in one day while my buddy next to me caught one :)
Also Ice fish a lot. This year I wanna get back out on the rivers and do some salmon fishing though, thats what I was raised on. Gunna need a new setup, but it's totally worth it. Ive caught 20 pounders all day long in my younger years, wanna get back to that. Not to mention the meat you get is much more substantial than trout, tastier too!

Kewlkat said:
Brrrr, ice fishing. Here in warm n sunny Louisiana, our bass are already on the beds ready to spawn :D
Gonna hit Toledo Bend next weekend. I'd go this weekend but the bassmasters elite series is fishing in my back yard starting tomorrow, so I'm gonna stick around here and follow the leaders this weekend, then watch the weigh ins. Should be interesting to see what the weights will be, since the Sabine River isn't known for giant bass!
Hey KewlKat I notice you mention the Toledo Bend area. I know its a few months off but I am planning to take a few days off and go hunting deer and or hog in the Moore Plantation WMA on the texas side this Nov 10-15. Be my 1st time there just wondering if you ever been hunting there.

Crappie is gettn pulled in right and left here in Ky.. Soon as this spring snow storm lol passes im headed to the lake for some and some catfish..

kyhellbilly said:
Crappie is gettn pulled in right and left here in Ky.. Soon as this spring snow storm lol passes im headed to the lake for some and some catfish..
I remember when I was a kid me and my dad would enter the Crappiethon on Ceder Creek Lake here in Texas. My dad had a marina near Tool texas and we fish right off the docks there. I even caught a tag one worth 25 dollars one time.

mjadams61 said:
Kewlkat said:
Hey KewlKat I notice you mention the Toledo Bend area. I know its a few months off but I am planning to take a few days off and go hunting deer and or hog in the Moore Plantation WMA on the texas side this Nov 10-15. Be my 1st time there just wondering if you ever been hunting there.

I've never hunted that area myself, but I have friends who have. They have taken some nice bucks and hogs out of that area. Bring your squirrel gun too, that area has a population of big melanistic fox squirrels. I've been trying to bag one of those elusive suckers around Toledo Bend for a few years now! Good luck when y'all go!

Time to start setting up date #1 with my buddy Rick. We got out late last year in a canoe and had a great day with smallmouth and spotted bass. He knows the local river tributaries like no one else I've met. Once the leaves fall the good spots get really tough to fish. $40 for the canoe and Rick for a guide --hard to beat.

I made it back up for another weekend of ice fishing. We had a decent day on Saturday.

In addition to the ones pictured we caught a several pike and bass that were thrown back. (Neither are still in season)

IceFishing002_zps84309600.jpg

Largest was 12". It's the biggest perch I've caught through the ice.

IceFishing003_zpse6955891.jpg

They are full of eggs, more eggs than meat.

IceFishing004_zps5b8d6b24.jpg

Lake to fryer!! Oh Yeah!!!

MikeD said:
I made it back up for another weekend of ice fishing. We had a decent day on Saturday.

In addition to the ones pictured we caught a several pike and bass that were thrown back. (Neither are still in season)

You have certain seasons to catch fish? Here in Texas we can fish year round in the lakes and rivers, unknown about salt water though. Also they stock the major lakes and such and even give you the year and how much by body of water on the TPWD site.

mjadams61 said:
You have certain seasons to catch fish? Here in Texas we can fish year round in the lakes and rivers, unknown about salt water though. Also they stock the major lakes and such and even give you the year and how much by body of water on the TPWD site.

Yes, it varies by species and in some cases by body of water. Panfish (perch, bluegil, carppie, sunfish, etc) are pretty much year round but all others have specific seasons.

Heres a link from our DNRE web site: Fishing Seasons

MikeD said:

is perch for any good?? Edible??

mingaa said:
MikeD said:

is perch for any good?? Edible??

I think the last pic says it all. :D

I little stronger tasting that say walleye but damn good IMHO.

Back