1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Why build a short AR ??

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by Djcala, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

Feel free to elaborate with your reason. Mine is now simple. Cause when ya ground your gear from checkin the perimeter it fits on the cutting board while your makin a samich !!! Thats my Why, your turn...
    20181029_213543.jpg
    meanstreak and Elbert Garrett like this.
  2. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

An AR pistol carbine is on my 2019 to do list! The why is I don`t hunt so I don`t have a need for a long range rifle but an AR pistol would be a nice addition for HD.
    meanstreak, John A. and Djcala like this.
  3. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

I have an assortment of "extras" that will be installed on an 80% with 7.5" barrel in the near future. This is to become a trunk gun meaning it will live there. I've already envisioned a suitable, accessible "hide" for it.
  4. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

OK. Now you done went and done it. You asked for reasons.

You know you're not supposed to seek out logic on the internet.

That's like asking someone how to fry ice sickles. (thankfully, I have my Mom's old recipe) so I'll get back to this topic after my supper time sammich.
    Djcala and meanstreak like this.
  5. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Best reason I can think of is
    "Merica"

I like this one for the 220+ grain pew. One heckuva way to introduce yourself to unwelcome guests.

[​IMG]

And here's a couple other little things that I keep hanging around.

The last of my short stuff is the newest acquisition. It's the only upper that I didn't build myself. It's one of the few actual 14.5" Colt Socom uppers that has ever leaked out to the civilian market from a colt authorized dealer. I could tell you which unit turned these in at the end of their last deployment, but I gave him my word that I wouldn't. I think most here would recognize it though. They were turned in for newer uppers once they got back to the states last go round since they had been downrange a while. I can't recall ever seeing a colt socom upper that wasn't 16" with a pinned flash hider.

[​IMG]
    Djcala, meanstreak and Elbert Garrett like this.
  6. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Give me a reason why not to.
    Djcala, meanstreak and John A. like this.
  7. ricky_bobby

ricky_bobby Copper BB

Why not is the question, we are living in beautiful times - I have a 7" build completed now with KAK Blade, doing a 10.5" build with SBA3 brace next -
  8. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

See i was just fixin to click the like button cause i loved the "beautiful times" comment but my like button wont work without pictures ;)
    John A., Water Monkey and ricky_bobby like this.
  9. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

Because I can, because I want to, and because it's my right to have one. That covers the why, now let's talk logic.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Djcala likes this.
  10. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

My short AR is a pistol so......
    an SBR without the SBR BS
    conceal with CCW
    super handy
    super light
    super fun to shoot
    fun to reload/test short barrel specific ammo
    awesome fighting gun
    unnamed.jpg
    Elbert Garrett and Djcala like this.
  11. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

Very nice i like it. Quick ??? Are those the tactical chuck taylors ??
    oli700 likes this.
  12. oli700

LOL , those are Military issue Vans but I am wearing tactical flannel shirt......and a pair of wildland fire pants.....kevlar gov issue....that part isn't a lie lol
  13. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

This is a reason i love the Mossy site the farther apart we seem the closer many of us actually are :). Like your choice of britches as for shoes im a offroad croc no sock man even at a balmy 33 degrees, lol
    Ps.. Yes we will derail a thread if we want adapt and overcome !! 20181116_103703.jpg
    oli700 likes this.
  14. oli700

well you dont have to worry about changing socks.......your gear would kill my feet . I got a bad case of jungle foot in AK , since then I cant mess around with no socks anymore ......in fact I have to use smart wool when I have my feet cooped up in fire boots all summer. I pulled a camp job this year in a Planning Ops position, wore my boots but with cotton socks....16 hour days not in the wood and still EFFed up my feet some