• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why buy different chokes?

Berg500

.22LR
If you guys have bought new chokes like a carlsons or the like when the guns come with a full, MC, and IC with the 500? Are there advantages to getting another brand than the mossberg ones?

Different manufacturers use various tolerances in construction. Therefore, when you pattern your shotgun with different chokes you'll notice a different pattern between the two.

out of my OU Beretta I originally used the factory chokes for skeet. I switched over to (lord I can't remember the brand name right now) I noticed a better pattern and better hits on the clay pigeons.

If you pattern the gun with different chokes and different ammo, you will see a difference.
That being said, Mossberg chokes are fine for most shooting .

Yeah i just got my 500 and am learning all these things still. I know for a fact that it doesnt like the field and stream ammo. Ive seen some at cabelas yesterday where they are twice the length as the mossberg chokes. Do they typically shoot better?

This is a topic we could discuss for years. Attached is a short you tube video which tries to simplify it as much as possible.

Good question.

To try to answer your question the best that I can, "is it better to use another brand", I will say probably not really.

Most "standard" chokes like cylinder, improved cylinder, skeet, modified, and full chokes, you may notice very slight improvements in how many pellets you are putting into the bullseye, but most are going to be fairly comparable.

Choke sizes are defined. So, a full choke with one, will be a full choke with another. There can be minor variances, but probably not enough to make a real difference.

Can one routinely put more pellets into your bullseye than another? Sure. But that can also change with using a different wad, different size shot, different brand of shell or whatever.

So, that's why you see so many people shooting their guns with so many brands of shells and different chokes patterning their guns to find the best combination as they can with their set up.

If you're wanting a "specialized" choke or design, like the gobblin thunder choke, or the undertaker choke, or the jellyhead choke, then maybe yes. Those are proprietary designs and to be fair about it, are typically much tighter constriction than a full choke too which forces the choke to squeeze the shot to get longer range and tighter patterns.

I have noticed improvements while using extended length chokes.

But not necessarily.

I know that it looks stupid, but my over and under shotgun has both a flush and an extended choke. Not to try to set a new trend of wearing two different color shoes, but because I've shot the gun and patterned it and that was what worked the best with my favorite reload recipe.

holli playing nerf 003.JPG

You just have to try the choke with a variety of shells and you will find a combination that "clicks" eventually.

Then you can switch chokes to something else and start all over testing different shells again.

Is there a particular way you're wanting to shoot or hunt? Maybe with a specific shot size or distance?

We may can help point you in the direction that we would probably go.

I use diff chokes for turkey and waterfowl. For everything else I just use the std factory choke tubes.

I'm an avid pedator, coyote / fox, hunter. I hunt at night along side my partner who is using a rifle chambered in 22-250. He makes the long shots. I cover him with a 930 JM Pro. I've lost count on how many choke / shell combinations I have experimented with in order to get the most efficiency. I found the standard chokes for what I doing were just not up to par, for me a least. After all my experimenting I ended up using a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube and Federal 3" #4 buckshot. The non-flight control stuff in the blue box. I've killed both coyotes and foxes out to 70 yards. So getting the right choke / shell combination is what it's all about. You can see in the attached image the Carlson choke tube.....and the 1000 lumen red light attached to the side of the gun.820 mossberg.jpg

In my state, the only time you can hunt coyotes at night is with a shotgun.

Or so I've heard ;)

Back