• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why I don't do Facebook

I do FB because it is a way to buy and sell and a way to keep in touch with extended family. I missed a family reunion a couple weeks ago but FB allowed me to see the goings on and also many older pics of everyone and I also posted many of my own.

I do NOT have any FB friends nor do I have any "things I like" because that just gets the logarithms going to let you see all the stuff your "friends" like or groups or people related to things you "like". But belonging to groups gives FB enough ammo to tailor ads and other groups that "I might like". My phone number in not listed nor is my address...

They CAN FIND your name and address, phone etc. This is what data corelation is all about.

In the business this is what we call a Honey Trap. They give you things you love so that you will allow them to do things that they're not normally allowed to do.

Bobster, it's all about how your particular brain works and Facebook is determined to figure that out.

People who partiicipate in Facebook are signing up for voluntary mind control & they just don't know it yet.

RESIST FACEBOOK !

Last edited:
BTW, if you trust Facebook somehow not to abuse your rights to privacy, you must also trust all their partners, affiliates, and John Does 1-20 to be named later.

In other words, they can share with any miscreant who manages to fool them or bribe them, or any honest one who simply fails to protect your data from an employee who steals everything before getting fired.

That last one is about the most common method, and it is widespread. Millions of bytes are just sitting out there in the hands of former IT/FO/payroll/accountant/legal guys just waiting for the right opportunity to make money, seek revenge, create anarchy . . . whatever.

With us as the pawns of course.

Anyone who thinks they are protected from this doesn't have a clue how porous most data operations are. The only thing protecting us individually is the huge volume of data involved. It takes a long time because there are millions of people in the records.

They track your data whether or not you actually have a FB account. They keep a database on their own users as well as users of any of their affiliates/partners. It states this explicitly in their privicy statememt.

If you are online in any capacity, some data on you is being collected and correlated to other online databases.

Even if you do not have online accounts, you are still being tracked via facial recognition on other peoples pics of you, financial transactions, atm cams, traffic cams etc.. its unavoidable today. As more and more systems become integrated and shared we will have less and less anonymity.

Big brother has been watching ever since Al Gore invented the internet. :omg:

This is all true of course but nobody does it like Facebook, Google and the other Biggie's.

I don't have a single reason to give them extra ammunition.

If my kids want me to know what the hell is going on in their life they pick up the phone or come see me.

They know I don't do Facebook.

You want to talk mind AND wallet control? Try zamazon prime! My cousin has it and they are ALWAYS sending him popup door busters or whatever they call it.

Well there was a time I did not. But finally said screw it its great for keep track old army buddies etc...
It was a simple algorithm for me:
If there is a list Im already on it, if theres a radar "they" watch Ive been a big blinking dot since the mid 80's.
So basically I dont give a rip. Lol ,
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs whenever i dont care

I do not have a social media profile, nor am I interested in one.

Here's one prime reason why.

Back several years ago I was injured at work (at no fault of my own). An F550 delivery truck driver was texting on her phone and she hit 3 cars in the road who were completely stopped while she was driving about 60 mph.

Needless to say, being the middle of the 3 stopped cars, I was slammed from the rear and also the front when my truck was launched almost through the car that was stopped in front of me.

Despite all that, workers comp hired investigators and people to follow me around and take pictures and essentially do everything they could to try to beat me out of it.

One of the things that their lawyer was complaining about during one of the several hearings was how I made my facebook go dark and took it down.

Needless to say, I've never had a facebook and it went down hill rapidly from there and the court reporter even had in the transcript where I called him a wormy bastard while I was answering one of the questions he asked me about a half a dozen different ways, but the jist of the story, they wanted to get information that I posted online to try to use against me in court. And since he didn't have anything from me, he wanted to try to get it from anywhere else that he could.

Since I had no facebook, the lawyer even asked for my wifes account name during the hearing. The judge told the lawyer that my wife was not on trial and he would not grant such a request.

But the short of it was, people use the information you and others post online. The easiest solution to that is just don't do it. With face recognition and the new age we're in, the less of a digital footprint you have, the better off you are.

OK, I don't claim any special protection just because I don't use Facebook. We are all at risk from multiple fronts. Non-users too.

BUT I simply will not patronize a business I feel is so unethical.

Just because everyone I know does it doesn't mean squat.
They are entitled to their own ethics and I mine.

You want to make some rich bastard richer? As he lies to congress? Puts you at risk? And they do nothing?

I want everyone to stop, and I tell them so.

I just installed a firewall app on my phone and was shocked at how many outbound packets there are. Apps I do not even use and have restricted all permissions on were trying to send data out on a continuous basis, some as much as multiple times a minute).

No wonder I can't keep my damn battery charged.

I found it esp interesting how much of the communication were to amazon and facebook domains.

I also find it extreamly annoying that Chrome turns on location services almost every time I use the browser. I can't seem to get that to stop. Also the photo gallry wont run without location and calender permissions.

I've been very carefull of the permissions the few apps I run request. Makes me wonder if we really have control over any of it or if turning it off just hides it in the background.

I've been very carefull of the permissions the few apps I run request. Makes me wonder if we really have control over any of it or if turning it off just hides it in the background.

I think this is the answer.

Why I've been considering just getting a few addresses and writing letters.

DJ you are absolutely right to a great degree and I will tell you why.

There is lots and lots of data and it's growing at a rate which far outpaces the human ability to cope with its existence and make sense of it.

So there's no Evil Genius waiting in the wings.

The biggest problem with computers (which I've always talked about and have never read about) is any particular personal computer represents a system with so many variables that it is impossible to insure a particular outcome without gross experimentation.

Now take those devices and put them all in a network with the same sort of issues and you multiply infinity times infinity. Well nearly so.

Trying to secure things in such an environment is a virtual impossibility. All you can do is secure them against the threats you understand.

When you are looking out of a deer blind those guns are useless against an infestation of ants that comes up between your boots. The first thing you do is "run around pulling the plug"* on affected things, which is the computer equivalent of shooting your toes off to stop the ants.

*(Not necessarily a physical activity.)

Okay I should have said there's no ONE Evil Genius waiting in the wings....

There's no lack of evil out there

9 – QTS Metro Data Center – Atlanta, Georgia | 990,000 Square Feet
The building used for this massive 990,000 square foot data center was built way back in 1954. For many years it was used as a distribution center for the Sears Southeast region. In 2000 the building was bought and went through a huge re-purposing project to turn it into the data center that we see today. It took six years and $80 million to remodel the building.

I just know ive seen this place its alot of room for storing 1 and 0's
But its NOTHING compared to whats coming on line in Reno this year a monstrous 7.2MILLION SQ Ft for the sole purpose of storing 1s and 0s
Wowza thats alot of "useless" info ?????

Useless my butt. They want to know everything about everybody and judging from all of the places they have off shore (in other countries like Brittain and Australia in particular), they're going to achieve it.

No secrets.

What bothers me is most people have just thrown in the towel and decided not to fight it. They want the candy too much.

Zuckerberg is a jackass and when you patronize facebook you help make a rich jackass richer.

I do FB because it is a way to buy and sell and a way to keep in touch with extended family. I missed a family reunion a couple weeks ago but FB allowed me to see the goings on and also many older pics of everyone and I also posted many of my own.

I do NOT have any FB friends nor do I have any "things I like" because that just gets the logarithms going to let you see all the stuff your "friends" like or groups or people related to things you "like". But belonging to groups gives FB enough ammo to tailor ads and other groups that "I might like". My phone number in not listed nor is my address...

1984 has arrived.

You can do all this for free over at Proboards and not be involved in Facebook at all, and if you want to do it without advertisements you can have your own private family site for 6 bucks a month.

That gets you 60k Pageviews, which is plenty unless you have an enormous family.

I don't have any financial interest in Proboards; but I have maintained a few different forum sites there, the service has been reasonable and the cost has been exceptionally low.

In some ways it will seem very basic compared to Facebook but on the other hand they're not tracking your movements, and you have a fairly free hand with the site architecture.

Back