• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why I would never have an HD firearm personalized.

I have heard so many stories about people being prosecuted for all kinds of things. Even if someone is released from a criminal trial, you can still have your butt handed to you in a civil trial.

Using "cop killer" hollow point bullets.

Using reloads.

Having night sights.

Even the kind of gun you use (I've heard for years, never use a legally owned machinegun because blah blah blah.--As if a shotgun with slugs or buckshot is any less offensive).

Endangering the public at large (even if you're within your home) if you miss, or even if a bullet does a complete pass through and exits through an open window and is never found.

You name it.

Not much is going to stop someone from having to go through a civil trial. Adding anything inflammatory may not help, but you were going to civil trial regardless even without any personalization, so the important thing is you're not dead yet.

As for the "you're fu(k3d" ejection port cover, that was because the realization the officer had that if he had to use his personal weapon, the message was for him, not the other guy.

As usual, some good wisdom from John. Perhaps we should get a group buy going on custom dust covers that read "hugs not slugs". :D

Maybe bullets shaped like little teddy bears...:oops:...

I'd hate to see America become a police state but this wholesale vilification of Law Enforcement is unconscionable.

In my world:

"Your honor this offensive inscription on the defendants weapon indicates a hostile, vulgar and violent nature unacceptable in a officer of the law."

"Well sir, this is a simple matter of our prosecution attempting to make a hero from his villain of a client by making a villain out of a hero.

If criminals were trying to threaten and shoot at you frequently, you might develop a hostile nature toward them as well. In fact, among officers of the law, it's a well known occupational hazard from which this officer should have been protected and counseled and compensated rather than vilified.

We know that many police officers join the force because they dislike criminals, and almost no people friendly toward criminals ever apply to be police officers.

So if some head shrinker is telling you that this message on a man's rifle displays hostility toward criminals, when the object of that man's job is to confine and arrest dangerous criminals, I would not be concerned about it in the least."

The officer was there for a reason. He or they were obviously called to respond to a situation.
The fact that it ended in shots fired has nothing to do with what is inscribed on a dust cover that is only shown after a shell is ejected.

As usual society is fu(ked up and only tries to turn such a insignificant item into the mentality of a person they know nothing about and make the one sworn to protect u and I into the bad guy for doing his job. Such BULL$HIT.

So if the officer had a dust cover with a verse from the bible on it, then what? Let me guess he would be found mental for mixing God and guns.... Hmmmm.

Not enough info on the encounter. There's video of the encounter not released yet.

Last I checked mike brown had his hands up.... that turned out to be viciously false.

When prosecutors don't have the facts they try to pound the table looking for an emotional response. As was the case in the Zimmerman trial. It was proven with forensics and timeline data that Trayvon not only evaded Zimmerman but made it back to his father's house... only to circle back and attack Zimmerman with felony assault which prompted the defensive shooting. Prosecutors then just focused on "effing punks" as a way to determine malicious intent. 6 jury women didn't buy it. Considering Zimmerman appropriately called police, identified his location and was waiting for the patrol car prior to the assault.

FWIW Zimmerman is a douche of epic proportion. But he was justified in this case.

Last edited:
Maybe I should take The Holy Smoker off my shopping list....

smoker45.png
I should probably avoid buying the Colt 45 Holy Smoker replica.

Imagine if you had to shoot a Jewish guy with this gun, or a Muslim guy...Oh my God. You'd be crucified in court.

Last edited:
This is nothing more than an attempt by a slimy lawyer to get money or publicity or both. That's all it is. I think we all see through that. I think someone coined the term "ambulance chaser" relating directly to lawyers.

Let's face it, unless you are horribly unlucky in life...what are you doing that requires the police to attend in the first place and what are you doing that makes an officer feel the need to draw on you???

As someone who has had interactions with the police while armed...I'm still alive and free of a criminal record. It's because I understand that I have the ability to make the officer(s) very nervous whilst holding a loaded 12 ga out in the middle of nowhere.

So I do absolutely everything I can to comply with the officer and not give him any reason to feel threatened. Including opening the chamber and setting the gun down. Friendly chat ensues and upon departing he requests to see some clays busted. ;)

Is it because I'm white? Is it because I'm not a gang banger?

I'd say it's more because I treated the cop with a little respect and spoke to him without disdain and similar to anyone else I might meet that day.

I dunno...call me crazy I guess.

Flat out stupid to do/own, especially for a duty gun. Nobody with ANY courtroom experience in his dept to wise him up? Asking for trouble if it ever did hit the fan IMO. I hope appearing (in his mind) to be a Billy bad a** was worth what he is going thru. With any luck he will outgrow it when he reaches puberty. I think I have underwear older than him.

The fact that your gun is sawed off alone wouldn't help. In the case of the Leo it's kind of ironic that parties on both ends of that gun were F'd.

Of course this kind of stuff is just lawyer horse shit, but I see no reason to hand a court the rope to hang you with. Think what a jury sees. Most of them are afraid of firearms anyway, so it is not going to help you a all if it has a skull paint job or a confederate flag or grim reaper grips. I actually have this ejection port cover. You can bet it is not on a firearm that is my home defense go to.

If it's not one thing it's another.

Hollow points

Forward grip

Flash suppressor

Magazine size

I'm done living in fear of what a pos lawyer is gonna try and come up with.

The simple fact that I carry means they will try to screw me over if I have to defend myself and it goes to court.

The world is tough enough as it is without the PC nazi's at every turn.

If it's not one thing it's another.

Hollow points

Forward grip

Flash suppressor

Magazine size

I'm done living in fear of what a pos lawyer is gonna try and come up with.
Agreed and like you said wait for video. However I'm just gonna throw it out there my hairy friend that I doubt very much you'd ever garner that kind of attention...oh wait a sec...you're in NY...I forgot. Sorry.:eek:

In all honesty, It wouldn't likely be much different up here. If there's anyway a lawyer/prosecutor could try to form some notion of prior intent to harm, maim or murder with the weapon in question, they would. No doubt.

Can't live your life around a bunch of maybe's or might happen's.
The simple fact that I carry means they will try to screw me over if I have to defend myself and it goes to court.

The world is tough enough as it is without the PC nazi's at every turn.
Same thing with carrying Mike...at least you'll be alive to have your day in court! So do what ya gotta do right?

Agreed and like you said wait for video. However I'm just gonna throw it out there my hairy friend that I doubt very much you'd ever garner that kind of attention...oh wait a sec...you're in NY...I forgot. Sorry.:eek:

In all honesty, It wouldn't likely be much different up here. If there's anyway a lawyer/prosecutor could try to form some notion of prior intent to harm, maim or murder with the weapon in question, they would. No doubt.

Can't live your life around a bunch of maybe's or might happen's.

Same thing with carrying Mike...at least you'll be alive to have your day in court! So do what ya gotta do right?

In NY, if I defend myself in my own home against a career criminal and I discharge my firearm. I go to jail and go to grand jury trial.

My HD shotgun is decked out. Sure fire for end light, black, tritium front bead, 7 round side saddle.

Back