• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why not?

Mudinyeri said:
I've never shot a Ruger 10/22 so I don't really have an opinion of them. However, I'd put my 30+ year-old bone-stock Marlin 39A Golden up against a Ruger 10/22 with as many mods as you want any day of the week. Put them both in a lead sled and compare the patterns. Granted, you can't find much of an aftermarket for the 39A. Maybe that's because no one ever needed one. ;-)

And you would loose. See the problem is you said "as many mods as you want". But you don't own one, so you don't even know about the mods available. It's the equivalent of saying I'll put my Bronco up against any vehicle, with as many mods as you want in a race in the mud. You'll lose if someone brings out a full on rally racer. And there are 10/22s that are that tricked out. As I said earlier, there are folks who use only the receiver and spend $2000 from there... Like this. Carbon fibre low vibration match barrel? Check!
ruger102205.gif
vs.
zoom_39A.jpg

Not meaning to rain on your parade. If you look at my thread on shaking up my rifle lineup, I'm all about the Marlin Lever guns, and own a 30-30 right now. But the fact remains, whether it's a rifle or shotgun, you start putting bands on to secure the barrel to either a stock or a magazine tube, and consitency decreases. Doesn't mean it isn't awesome though! ;)

John A. said:
I have considered numerous times to thread the barrel on my Rossi youth combo 22 barrel for a silencer. With it being a breakdown action, should prove to be a very quiet host. At least as quiet as a bolt gun. And compact and easy to carry being about 29 inches long and 4 pounds soaking wet.

But it's not as accurate as I like, and why I considered the Savage FV-SR and ZephyrXL suppressor if I didn't build my own again.

Just thinking out loud again.

Supressed 22s... "did you just shoot that bunny?!" "Nope. He clearly suffered from Fatal Bunny Fart Syndrome... Didn't you hear that "pffft" right before his side exploded and he fell over?"

A couple months ago I came across this website that does a nice write-up of the benefits of a shotty in a SHTF sitch: http://survivalcache.com/survival-shotgun-mossberg-m500-sp/

In a SHTF scenario, guns and especially ammo will be barter/trade items of exceptional value--forget the gold standard! It will be the POWDER standard! :D

A firearm(s) will be especially important because it(they) will provide many important functions such as protection, hunting and "acquisition" of staples such as water and fuel from those that chose to be unarmed :twisted: . Survival of the fittest (and smartest!)... Water will be the number 1 commodity followed by fuels such as gasoline, diesel and alcohol. Coal and wood will come in handy in the colder climates. Crops and livestock are hard to raise without water...

I read about the riots in London and Vancouver recently and the millions in business property damage from vandalism and looting. I like to think that here in the US, such occurances rarely happen because the thugs do not want to end up with lead poisoning over a case of bottled water! I respect and admire our LEO and military for the job they do but I also can't expect them to protect us at every instance. Most LEO understand this--we are here to HELP them, not hinder them. I would call it micro-vigilantism as opposed to macro-vigilantism.

The US is as "safe" a country as it is because it has a large amount of firearm owners that are also patriots. We don't and shouldn't want the government to decide when and how we can defend ourselves nor should we allow the UN to decide for us, either. Any politician who believes in gun control is NOT a politician to be trusted. Remember, registration=confiscation!

We also need to be especially vigilant next month for the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. Some claim there will be attacks by the "bad guys" but I think they can be avoided with a little bit of observation and action.

Bobster said:
A couple months ago I came across this website that does a nice write-up of the benefits of a shotty in a SHTF sitch: http://survivalcache.com/survival-shotgun-mossberg-m500-sp/

Wow. Shotguns for Dummies. I mean that in the best possible way. Common sense, well balanced, succinctly written. A perfect introduction to someone who might be one the fence about if they should take that next step and get a shotgun. Good find Bobster.

Plus I found my quote of the day " Dick Cheney shot an 78-year-old man in the face with birdshot and the receiver lived." :lol: Really puts it in perspective, no?

blue said:
Mudinyeri said:
I've never shot a Ruger 10/22 so I don't really have an opinion of them. However, I'd put my 30+ year-old bone-stock Marlin 39A Golden up against a Ruger 10/22 with as many mods as you want any day of the week. Put them both in a lead sled and compare the patterns. Granted, you can't find much of an aftermarket for the 39A. Maybe that's because no one ever needed one. ;-)

And you would loose. See the problem is you said "as many mods as you want". But you don't own one, so you don't even know about the mods available. It's the equivalent of saying I'll put my Bronco up against any vehicle, with as many mods as you want in a race in the mud. You'll lose if someone brings out a full on rally racer. And there are 10/22s that are that tricked out. As I said earlier, there are folks who use only the receiver and spend $2000 from there... Like this. Carbon fibre low vibration match barrel? Check!
ruger102205.gif
vs.
zoom_39A.jpg

Not meaning to rain on your parade. If you look at my thread on shaking up my rifle lineup, I'm all about the Marlin Lever guns, and own a 30-30 right now. But the fact remains, whether it's a rifle or shotgun, you start putting bands on to secure the barrel to either a stock or a magazine tube, and consitency decreases. Doesn't mean it isn't awesome though! ;)

I'd still put a hundred bucks down to see what would happen.

BTW, the gun in your picture is not a Marlin 39A Golden. Nor is it a 30+ year-old gun.

Oh, and I've played 100 yard tic-tac-toe with a couple guys with tricked out 10/22's and beaten them with the 39A Golden. Granted, that doesn't take the shooter out of the equation but I think it speaks volumes.

Edit: I also used to offer similar bets with my nearly bone stock Jeep Rubicon and won pretty much all the time. :D

Mudinyeri said:
Edit: I also used to offer similar bets with my nearly bone stock Jeep Rubicon and won pretty much all the time. :D

Yeah... I recognize a hustler when I hear one... :cool: I don't need Cider in my ear.

Back