• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will a .22mag take out a Zombie?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I know that shot placement is a critical factor, and I have bigger guns, but was wondering if a head shot with say a 45gr Hornady FTX .22WMR out of a rifle would be effective. Anybody? :)

the ideal round is a .223 incendiary. basically flash fries the brain upon penetration of the skull cavity. rendering the zombie form absolutely dead. but there are many accounts of lesser rounds being effective, so as long as the shot is placed within the cranial cavity and effectively disables the brain then yes it should work fine.

the ideal round is a .223 incendiary. basically flash fries the brain upon penetration of the skull cavity. rendering the zombie form absolutely dead. but there are many accounts of lesser rounds being effective, so as long as the shot is placed within the cranial cavity and effectively disables the brain then yes it should work fine.

Thanks. Reason I'm asking is that I figured the .22mag would be backup while the wife reloads the 590, .41 mag, .357. These are all slow to reload tho, so I'm thinking a mag fed semiauto 12gage or .30 cal might be a good investment.:)

Will a .22mag take out a Zombie?

Yes, but no faster than it will take out a vampire or Frankenstein or werewolf.

in my opinion the book World War Z was an incredible read. absolutely nothing like the movie. not even the same plot line. the author put a lot of thought into the zombie apocolypse. and the book is a very realistic representation of how it could possibly pan out. i highly recommend it to anyone.

in my opinion the book World War Z was an incredible read. absolutely nothing like the movie. not even the same plot line. the author put a lot of thought into the zombie apocolypse. and the book is a very realistic representation of how it could possibly pan out. i highly recommend it to anyone.

Might you be alluding to the use of small caliber, suppressed firearms as the best weapon against zombies? ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Not specifically, but if used properly lots of things could be an effective weapon against zombies.

I need to build a Lobo, ( lobotomizer) its kind of a shovel/axe combo. The ideal hand to hand combat weapon.

I prefer a more direct approach...

...and you'll never have to reload it... ;)
Got one. Not as pretty as yours, but has seen action.

samurai.jpg~original

I hope to pick up something in .22 soon until then I guess my back up s.h.t.f weapon will be my ax!2014-08-09 16.37.04.jpg

Depends a bit what kind of Zombie. Slow "Walking Dead" kind of Zombies are OK to finish with a sword, but the fast "World War Z" kind of Zombies I would like to keep on distance. On second thoughts, when Zombies are that fast you are screwed anyways.......

There are better choices but I'd definitely take a .22 mag over my bare hands. If nothing else it gives you more reach before you have to go hand to hand. LOL

I think a 22 is the most effective and practical. It is easy to carry large quantities. Easy to load large quantities. The most readily available everywhere. And cheapest. And it is quieter. And has little to know recoil for the less experienced.

I think a suppressed .22LR revolver or bolt action rifle is the way to go. You can use subsonic ammo and keep the noise level as low as possible. Most zombie stories seem to suggest they are attracted to loud noises. A headshot is the only way to stop 'em anyhow, so anything with more power isn't gonna be anymore effective.

.22mag might be a good stopper, but it makes noise. I may have given this scenario entirely too much thought. Take care. Tom Worthington

I hope they would stop them since that mini revolver I just picked up is in .22 mag. Ironically because I have something chambered for this round I was thinking maybe I should eventually pickup a bolt gun to compliment it. Then I see this thread and it justifies that logic lol! :D Thanks alot you guys.

If the zombies come a knocking I'll most likely be sending 5.56 or .223 their way via my Spikes Zombie lowered rifle but it would be nice to know that .22 mag is a viable backup option ;)

Joking aside rimfire gets the job done with a competent shooter behind the trigger. Even with larger calibers you still have to get those headshots on the walking dead. YMMV as usual.

Last time I was in Alaska I had a crew of Eskimos I spent a lot of time with, when they aren’t spearing whales in skin boats they kill Polar Bears with .22 mags, no lie.
Most the livestock/farm kill businesses here use .22 mags for everything....….steers, bulls, pigs....they never take a step

Back