• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will a 500 bolt fit...

I've been looking around and can't seem to find a solid answer. Will a bolt assembly from a 500 fit 590A1 ? On mossberg.com and they show a 500 bolt assembly along with everything under the sun for the 500. But nothing for the 590A1 just the 590 and even then no bolt, kinda leads me to believe they are the same but ??? I bought mine used and want to replace the firing pin and spring and hammer spring for giggles but having one heck of a time getting the retaining pin out(produced in 1986). And looks pretty beat up before I got to it so just thinking replacing it as a unit and say screw it. Thoughts or links that obviously missed ?

Last edited:
If you check Brownells they have parts schematics for all Mossbergs and diagrams are keyed to the SKUs. So you can find the correct part number.

Regards

Don't quote me on this but I always thought the diff b/t 500 and 590 were barrel and mag tubes? As in you could use a 590 barrel and tube in a 500. And the A1 trigger guards are metal...

Don't quote me on this but I always thought the diff b/t 500 and 590 were barrel and mag tubes? As in you could use a 590 barrel and tube in a 500. And the A1 trigger guards are metal...

You are correct.

590 has a metal trigger guard (plastic on the 500), metal safety button (plastic on the 500), heavier barrel, and, most importantly, the mag tube is different. The 500 has a "fixed" mag tube, so you can't clean the inside of it (or put in a plug, or change the spring) without removing the whole tube from the receiver. The 590's mag tube is setup like a Remington 870, so you can access it from the end by simply unscrewing the magazine cap without physically removing the tube.

If you're trying to interchange barrels between models you've got to install the correct mag tube.

Regards

If you check Brownells they have parts schematics for all Mossbergs and diagrams are keyed to the SKUs. So you can find the correct part number.

Regards
Nope, just parts. Tomorrow after work I'm just gonna take it to a local gun store with a gunsmith that I know and like and just tell him what I want and let him deal with it.

So it looks like I bought a pistol grip 500 with the 590 mag tube & special shortie door breacher barrel.

So is that one even thicker than the 590 barrel?

Back