• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will cci velocitor penetrate bone?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Let's find out.
icon_mrgreen.gif
PoBoy does a test with a cow bone. The Velocitor is a 40gr. HP advertised at 1435fps.

While some viewers may be surprised, I wasn't.

We use a 22 to slaughter hogs and cows and a headshot will drop them where they stand. And hogs have very thick skulls. (no pun intended).

I would opine that there have been more things killed with 22 than any other cartridge at all since the invention of self contained ammunition.

While some viewers may be surprised, I wasn't.

We use a 22 to slaughter hogs and cows and a headshot will drop them where they stand. And hogs have very thick skulls. (no pun intended).

I would opine that there have been more things killed with 22 than any other cartridge at all since the invention of self contained ammunition.

Nor was I. Modern .22lr ain't yer daddy's .22lr. The main issue that most folks have with it is reliability as compared to centerfire. That said, I've shot many different brands and all have had the occasional misfire, except CCI. I can't recall a single misfire in over 40 years of using CCI ammo.

They use .22s to put down gators, don't they? A quick, clean shot between the eyes? Yeah, bang sticks are used, also.

They use .22s to put down gators, don't they? A quick, clean shot between the eyes? Yeah, bang sticks are used, also.

It's useful to compare rounds on BBTI, for mv out of different barrels. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html . For example, the Velocitor mv from a 3.5" barrel is approx 1000fps. Considerably less than the advertised, so performance does suffer some with short barrels, but we all know that. :)

I'm picking up some of those next trip to the LGS!

Good luck. I haven't been able to find any anywhere, including on-line, and I've got less than a box left from 2 years ago. :(

Here's a good comparative ballistic gel test of 4 popular CCI rounds, including the Velocitor. I've seen other tests that yield slightly different results, perhaps due to differences in the gel or gun used, so like any of this kind of thing - ymmv. ;)

Last edited:
I was able to get some cci 36gr varmint a couple boxes of cci 40 gr and some federal champion trying to be careful about using it coming back slowly up here. 2 100 rnd boxes of cci mini mag which I saw on the video.

I am genuinely impressed with the cartridge's performance, however, I'm still not going to rely on any .22LR to put holes in anything besides paper. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back