• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winchester .22lr ammo - FTF's

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I bought a 100rd box of this last week and finally got around to trying it out in my Sig 1911-22. Before anybody asks I don't limp wrist and the Sig is properly lubed and broken in.

Not real happy with it. The Sig didn't like this stuff at all, it felt pretty weak even given the advertised mv. It burns clean, but had 3 FTFs out of 40 rds. Didn't have enough oomph to rack the slide far enough to pick up the next round - ejected but just barely made it past half cock. I think I'll stick to CCI or Aguila for the Sig and relegate the Win to my old Savage 6A or wifes SR22. YMMV. $13/100rds .

winSSHP37gr.jpg

Yep, this is the reason one needs to try various brands and types till they find what the gun likes. Not all .22 is used in semi autos thus this stuff would work just fine in revolvers and bolt action rifles. My .22s don't like the basic stuff either.

Yeah, I like a lot of Winchester products but 22LR is NOT one of them. I've had similar experiences - 22 pistol and rifle are both semi auto. The ratio of flyers in their bargain boxes is almost silly - cannot sight a gun using them. I pass them over.

What's funny is that all but one of my .22lr firearms loves eat'n up Remington Golden Bullets. Yup, it's dirty as hell and most people curse it up one side 'n down the other for duds but the stuff runs like a charm for me. I like running Remington sub-sonic .22lr suppressed as well. It's scary quiet.

The funny part is that the one rifle that absolutely will not feed more than two rounds of Remy ammo at a time is my Remington 597. Go figure...

It all shoots fine through my Contender. ;-D

I shoot my dads Ruger Mark I a lot and it is really picky and needs to be kept pretty clean to cycle well. It really needs high pressure rounds to keep it cycling consistently. Most std and target rounds are an effort in futility, esp if the gun is the least bit dirty.

Update: Did some research. According to Winchesters site this ammo (X22LRHSS1) has a mv of 1135fps out of a handgun (ballistics tab). Yet the Basic info on the round (on the Winchester site) states 1330fps out of a 6"barrel, which is also what is printed on the box label. ( I assume the marketing dept had a hand in that) . http://www.winchester.com/Products/rimf ... RHSS1.aspx . 1135 is about what you get with standard velocity .22lr (1085fps). Since my Sig has a 5" barrel it would be even slower! No wonder the stuff didn't cycle my Sig reliably.
It would be nice if Win (and other mfg's ) would be a little clearer on the labels they stick on their ammo.
icon_mad.gif

Before anybody asks I don't limp wrist and the Sig is properly lubed and broken in.

The Sig didn't like this stuff at all, it felt pretty weak even given the advertised mv.

lol, you cant limp wrist a .22

Sig .22, all of them, are notoriously picky on ammo. My FIL has one, it is less than impressive on shooting anything. When it shoots it shoots nice. Sucks because if you have a .22 these days it better shoot anything because who knows what you'll get. But its probably not a problem for you since you aren't experiencing any ammo shortages where you live, but hey you have a Sig man so its automatically cool just sitting there;)

I have never had any more of a problem with Winny then I have had with any of them. .22 are mostly good but more misfires and squibs than any other round in the world.

lol, you cant limp wrist a .22

Sig .22, all of them, are notoriously picky on ammo. My FIL has one, it is less than impressive on shooting anything. When it shoots it shoots nice. Sucks because if you have a .22 these days it better shoot anything because who knows what you'll get. But its probably not a problem for you since you aren't experiencing any ammo shortages where you live, but hey you have a Sig man so its automatically cool just sitting there;)

I have never had any more of a problem with Winny then I have had with any of them. .22 are mostly good but more misfires and squibs than any other round in the world.

Shot some more of it in the Sig yesterday, and it ran just fine. So probably just my turn to get some weak rounds. Hate it when that happens. :confused:

Still don't like the deceptive marketing tho.

I've been following this thread because Winnie Super-X .22LR in the long plastic 100-packs were for years excellent rimfire ammo as far as primer reliability. For general shooting I always considered it #2 in rank, right below CCI Mini-Mags.

That was back in the day before you started seeing much foreign stuff (excluding match ammo of course). Then it was Remington, CCI, Winchester and Federal except for Ely and Wolf Target and Lapua. None of the Armscor and Mexican stuff.

I've been following this thread because Winnie Super-X .22LR in the long plastic 100-packs were for years excellent rimfire ammo as far as primer reliability. For general shooting I always considered it #2 in rank, right below CCI Mini-Mags.

That was back in the day before you started seeing much foreign stuff (excluding match ammo of course). Then it was Remington, CCI, Winchester and Federal except for Ely and Wolf Target and Lapua. None of the Armscor and Mexican stuff.

I think if I was running the marketing dept. I'd take a look at what most folks are buying firearms wise these days - semi auto's - and advertise what the expected performance is for .22lr in those guns instead of some tweaked bolt action rifle or revolver. We all know that a blowback semi is going to eat up a fair bit of energy. I know they can't test their ammo in every possible gun, but they could get a good statistical average, instead of defaulting to the best case from their test platform. What they do now, is not real world testing, and expecting every shooter to set up a $100 chrono and do it for them is unrealistic.

I have a buddy who hates Remington golden bullets, he traded me Wildcats for all his Golden Bullets lol.....and he was happy. The Ruger SR22p shoots all of them, haven't found a 22 it wouldn't cycle yet.

Back