• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

winchester AA ammo

Couldn't say. We've shot birds with both. Light field ammo always seemed the same to me.

I run it in some 3 gun matches but for me it does not feel superior to value box federal or similar I run as well.....

To answer your question...yes, it usually is priced higher because it considered premium ammo by Winchester...

...and because the empty hulls are valued for their multiple reloading strength.

Is it better ?...that's subjective !!

AA uses better components, is faster to the clay and is more consistent than all other Win target. I use the hulls for my 12ga slug reloads and they are full power

Remington has the STS

Federal has Gold Medal

I think the shot used in AA loads is more consistently round and a harder alloy mix is used, and the wads are proven to shoot better patterns, and they go thru more visual inspections during to loading process. Also, the AAs base material is brass and the crimps are 8-point whereas the 100-rd bulk packs are steel based and have six-point crimps and the wads are not the same.

Both hunt basically equally well for most hunters.

Last AA I bought I had to return, which took an act of Congress. The hulls were bulged/swollen and I had a time just chambering a few of them.

Winchester wanted me to return to the store for a refund, but obviously wal mart wouldn't accept returns/refunds on ammo.

Winchester finally sent me a shipping label and coupons for more of it (which I didn't want) and they finally just sent me a check for what the cost was.

I don't buy AA anymore.

The superx is alright, but I just buy Federal field loads now when I'm looking for low brass.

the AA stuff I was looking at cost over $2 more than the Winchester super target. plus it was under 1,000 fps.
this is why I was curious.

Under 1,000-FPS???? Really?

I know some Winchester Super loads are only one ounce vs. 1-1/8 for many AA shells so naturally one would be faster. But Under 1,000 is pretty unusual.

The new gray AA hull is a two-piece plastic configuration joined together inside the base.

The original red AA hull was a single injection molded piece of great plastic that would load over and over and over and never separate at the hidden joint.

Purists hoards their no-longer-made red AA hulls like you wouldn't believe.

ALL Remington STS series (green and gold) still being made today have always been one-piece hulls and are fantastic plastic that won't separate like the 2-piece gray AA, even Remingtonr black hulled field loads have one-piece hulls that are decent though their bases are steel or copper washed steel.

the AA box said it was a "quiet" load. I thought I read that it was 700 something fps but all I can find on the
net is 980 fps. darn age is killing my brain. will check on wed when i go there again.

Winchester 12 Gauge 2 3/4 AA ( AA127 )

Description:

• Proven Hard Shot
  • High-Strength Hull
  • AA Wads
  • Best-in-Class Primer and Powder
  • Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet
Suggested Use:
upland_bird2.png
claysUsageIcon2.png
trapUsageIcon2.png

• Gauge: 12
  • Shell Length: 2-3/4
  • Velocity: 1145 fps
  • Shot Size: 7-1/2
  • Dram:
  • Oz. Shot: 1-1/8
  • Rounds Per Box: 25
  • Rounds Per Case: 250

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/AA-Shotshell/Pages/AA127.aspx

Other loadings:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/AA-Shotshell/Pages/default.aspx

I will take a pic next time so I can see all the info. but for sure, I know it was below 1,000 fps.

Last AA I bought I had to return, which took an act of Congress. The hulls were bulged/swollen and I had a time just chambering a few of them.

Winchester wanted me to return to the store for a refund, but obviously wal mart wouldn't accept returns/refunds on ammo.

Winchester finally sent me a shipping label and coupons for more of it (which I didn't want) and they finally just sent me a check for what the cost was.

I don't buy AA anymore.

The superx is alright, but I just buy Federal field loads now when I'm looking for low brass.
Crap, I thought that was Win Universal

If I got a couple bad boxes I would be with ya , they have been stellar for me but I haven't seriously shot clay in a while and iVe never what a feathers with them.....come to think about it it's been probably over 5 or 6 years since I have bought any.

I have loaded a lot of once fired from range scrounging and the hills are still really nice to reload

I understand they pissed you off ...or the process did, but your ammo could have been a fluke ?

The new gray AA hull is a two-piece plastic configuration joined together inside the base.

The original red AA hull was a single injection molded piece of great plastic that would load over and over and over and never separate at the hidden joint.

Purists hoards their no-longer-made red AA hulls like you wouldn't believe.

ALL Remington STS series (green and gold) still being made today have always been one-piece hulls and are fantastic plastic that won't separate like the 2-piece gray AA, even Remingtonr black hulled field loads have one-piece hulls that are decent though their bases are steel or copper washed steel.
I wish I had a memory like yours, gotten so much into metallic I forgot that tid bit too

I have a boat load of reloaded red hulls that my gramps did....I have reloaded a few and they seem almost like new still

I will take a pic next time so I can see all the info. but for sure, I know it was below 1,000 fps.
interesting , but makes since . Most serious clay guys reload just enough to get the clay broke, multipuls they load faster velocity but again just enough......their 12 gauges sound like .410 . I was talking to a couple old fellas that I think live at the trap range and one gave me some hulls he was done with....he said he loads them at 900 fps.
Maybe winchester is attempting to do a specialty clay load ?

went to wm today but there was non left to take a pic. but I did leave with two bulk fed 325 rnd auto match boxes of .22 ! they had two cases and myself and one other guy was there. freaking unusual that no one else was there.

ok, found 1 box at wm. low recoil, low noise. and it says 980 fps. and its priced right up there.

Sounds like an interesting new idea, keeping them slower and quieter.

I had never seen or even heard of them before this thread, so thank you for teaching me something of which I was completely ignorant!

Back