• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winchester Ranger 1 oz. slug low recoil

I've got to do some more looking at the ballistics, but this may be the same as the Winchester Winlite load. If so, the muzzle velocity is 1200 FPS.

RA12RS15 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 oz. rifled slug, low recoil
100_5102Medium.jpg

Hey, I've fired around 40 of the Winchester Ranger 1oz low recoil slugs, and I have to admit there's a big difference between them and a standard Super X 1oz Slug. I had more accuracy but a little less range. Hope that helps, I highly suggest them in pistol grip shotguns since they have much less kick.

Yeah, it seems to be a nice round! We were runnin out of day light when I was testing loads, but I did take a handful of shots with it, some close and some a little longer. At range, my 590A1 seems to put rounds in the same place which is a little low and to the left. These were no different but at 25 yards it was on target and at 50 it placed where I expected without correction.

They feel good and recoil is nominal. Not a difficult round to use.

These could very well be identical to the Winlite loads.

Wonder what the price difference is?

I do like how they keep the gray hull for the slugs. Kinda like Federal keeping blue hulls for their slugs.

Goose, I like the grey too and I do believe its the same as the WinLite.

I havent price the Winlite, but I got the Ranger slugs, low recoil, 25 rounds for $17.95 I think it was. By far a better price than anything commercially available.

Rossignol said:
Goose, I like the grey too and I do believe its the same as the WinLite.

I havent price the Winlite, but I got the Ranger slugs, low recoil, 25 rounds for $17.95 I think it was. By far a better price than anything commercially available.

Nice! That's a better price than what I paid! Probably because I bought them at a local sporting goods store. I think they were six or seven dollars for a box of five.

:shock: 6 or 7 dollars a box. Dang dude.

I just checked AmmunitionToGo and theyre sold out right now, but yeah, they were $16.95. I had to pay shipping and bought a decent bit of other stuff too so it wasnt too bad.

Rossignol said:
:shock: 6 or 7 dollars a box. Dang dude.

I just checked AmmunitionToGo and theyre sold out right now, but yeah, they were $16.95. I had to pay shipping and bought a decent bit of other stuff too so it wasnt too bad.

That's after taxes and all, but you are right...that is quite a chunk of $$$ for 5 rounds. :lol:

oli700 said:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/50rd-winchester-ranger-1-oz-law-enforcement-slug-ra12rs15

Good find, and good price on those. Works out to be a little better than the ATG price of $16.95 per 25.

The shipping from SG is awesome...at least to Oregon....last time I got 500 5.56, 250 sg shells, 100 9mm shipped for 24 bucks. I get all my ammo there. Very fast as well

Its been awhile since we've been on this topic. A question which had come up at one point was if the Winchester Ranger low recoil slug and the WinLite low recoil slug are the same.

The answer is Yes! Both are 1 oz. Foster type slugs with a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS.

No problem! I do like the Ranger slugs as an alternative to the TruBall, but the Ranger isnt as readily available as the WinLite...

Back