• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wolf pack?

"hope he killed the pups too"

Why would you say that @oli700 ?

:confused:
....would be more humane than letting them starve to death. Common practice when you kill a female is to kill the pups or cubs so they don't suffer......sometimes people keep them, not the cubs , the pups. I wouldn't expect you to know that so i don't hold your little sassy attitude against you.....and for the record peta don't tell me nothin', I live it ....never been on a guided hunt.......have had to hunt to survive though, live in the wild places, wouldn't expect you to know about that either . Rest assured, you wont be getting a PM from me about anything, its all good

AND speaking of guides, I went to school with a couple of brothers. Upstanding family, sports stars, friends....they started a guide business . Just recently had a little run in with the law .....meet Nick Rogers, little brother and Honorable Guide !.....guides are like every one else making money some are honorable and some are not, and he is from a 400 person logging town , same one as me not Medford as per the article where people kill for fun like its a God given right. Trust me I am not offended by your friend but I have an opinion
http://www.denverpost.com/2014/01/0...cused-of-maiming-illegally-trapping-big-cats/

Last edited:
Sorry, Oli. Pups would starve as part of a pack?

I thought they might be eaten if they were still very small...

Oli, We were barely lower-middle-class when my dad was a Airman, but we never had to chase down food or grow it, and when I did later it was for my own amusement. I certainly don't understand much about hunting or the ethics of hunting.

But, Bob is about the finest guy I know & I was a little incensed by your lack of trust.

I see your reasons though.

Sorry, Oli. Pups would starve as part of a pack?

I thought they might be eaten if they were still very small...

Oli, We were barely lower-middle-class when my dad was a Airman, but we never had to chase down food or grow it, and when I did later it was for my own amusement. I certainly don't understand much about hunting or the ethics of hunting.

But, Bob is about the finest guy I know & I was a little incensed by your lack of trust.

I see your reasons though.
the pups might even be killed by another male that didn't father them if the mom isn't around.
They are absolutely brutal in life..........a lot like your friend, its the law of the jungle.....its life...he shot and killed....its natural.

Make no mistake I dont dig on your friend....I have done worse than what I accuse ......no longer do I kill things I don't intend to eat, period.
I don't need to kill things to prove anything to any one.
I have had many beautiful animals in my sights I have let go because if they aren't going to help me live I see no reason to take their life.

In AK its common to rubber buck or slug Grizzlies........wolves scare with a gun shot......no kidding. I do not buy the "wont scare off" thing.

I knew a guy in a similar situation as your friend. He was packing an elk quarter and it was a cougar instead.

He noticed the staling cougar and picked up the pace. The cat got closer, he finally dropped the meat. When the cat ignored the meat and kept following, the guy shot the cat........all my years in these wild places I have been I have seen that and one other guy in AK who shot two moose for kicking his dog around in his yard...... wouldn't scare off.

anyway, I am sure he is a fine guy......and if he is really close to you, you would know the truth if it was different than what you posted .........sometimes I think I am an investigator or something so dont read into me too deep, just giving food for thought .......and accusing your friend of telling a safe story but realize I can be 100% wrong

Not with a wolf or cougar cause we don't have many of them around, but I have seen a lot of animals do things that I would never expect to see. I guess it depends on how hungry, scared, or cold something is. Maybe it wouldn't spook off. I could see that happening. Not necessarily stand there with shot flying all around it, but I could see one not turning tail and run at the first sign of trouble.

I have taken animals without eating them before. I typically give it to someone else that will when that happens, but not a varmint cause there's no one that would eat that. I usually don't even sell their pelts. If I have to start thinning predators in my hunting area, I typically drag them down to the flat well below where I hunt and fire up the backhoe for a scoop or two so their carcass don't attract more predators.

I allow a certain amount of natural predation on the property, but if something moves in and starts eating better than I do, it's time for it to move on one way or another. I dont' care what it is. I have worked for years getting that game trail established and I'm not letting some critter come in and destroy that in a single winter.

I would take odds that's probably more the reason why the guide wanted it gone if I were guessing.

wolf pups can be adopted by nursing mothers too....its all situational

and they can be sick, wounded .....that can make them do weird things.

in wide open places with true wild animals that don't live near society or run into humans much, 99% of the time you will never know because they are so tuned into avoiding us.

in places closer to town where they aren't as scared, or people have quit giving them something to fear......those are the scary ones

Just recently I ran into a good size cat that wasn't scared and he was right in rural Gold Hill....right outside of town.
I thought he was a guy in the road. Its a road that runs right next to the Rogue.
I got close prepping to look at this guy like he is a fool when the cat turned broadside.
He looked at me then looked at the river......thought about it and then turned around and strolled back the way he came.
He was probably thirsty or something but it was midday, about 100 degrees......never see cats out in that so it was weird but I got the distinct impression he wasn't scared one bit.....if I lived in those houses I would probably cap him.
Super scary because they can drag a full grown man up a tree......last one I saw shot was a tad over 200 pounds.

before they closed the dump in the town I grew up in we had a big influx of black bears....black bears are the most dangerous of most bears usually......there were a butt load of dead bears for a while.
But they closed the dump, because it wasn't fair to the bears......no one wanted to kill bears but there were kids all over the place.
Put easy food out for things that are hungry then kill them for their instinct to obtain the easiest food possible...pretty chickenshit if you think about it .

Like wolves and cows.....man I would kill all the cows I could as a human, as a wolf I would be pretty happy to see a slow cow.
I understand the ranchers capping them for it.......don't understand perusing them to all the dark corners of the forest and killing them till they don't exist because everything has its place.....
other than gathering protein to further our existence, is it really up to us to play God and regulate other creatures lives through "management"?.......hard one to answer and can be argued on so many levels on both sides of the coin

now human life, I mean lives threatened or potentially threatens by an animal......no question its a dead animal hopefully.

I just believe and have seen there are other things to try before resorting to the kill of something we might not understand.....I mean its their yard too and they do things we don't understand that doesn't mean they always deserve death....In fact, I would think they have a better reason to kill us then we have to kill them, last time I checked they didn't turn my yard into a Walmart parking lot

I was very surprised when my boss went on a $6,000 moose hunt and came back with a wolf instead.

As a Trophy goes it's fairly rare deal, I guess. But I don't know I'm sitting here in the California burbs, I don't hunt and I have not killed another living creature since I was a teenager, except for mice, rats, spiders and insects. We used to shoot big ground squirrels out here, which are kind of like prairie dogs. Since dad died and Mom sold off the mini ranchette out in the country I don't get free olives anymore and I don't shoot varmints.

Hell half the people in California will tell you that people are the varmints; particularly aging white males who own guns.

As for me, I'm pretty happy just to be able to shoot paper and tin cans.
20160309_105745-1.jpg

As a Trophy goes it's fairly rare deal, I guess.

yep, hard to kill......or hard to get the opportunity I should say, they die like everything else.
Super smart, if you set a trap wrong and it fails, that wolf will likely never be tricked again by that sort of trap. If others see it they wont be caught either........I know some trappers in AK and wolves almost on on the top of the fir list not because they are rare but because they are so damn smart and hard to catch.

and sneaking up on them is impossible. Their noses have a few thousand more olfactory sensors than a normal canine.
then there is the ears and eyes.....just about impossible to stalk, so most of all wolves killed are shots of opportunity

I was very surprised when my boss went on a $6,000 moose hunt and came back with a wolf instead.
exactly......think about it. He wasn't going to be put on a moose.
These guides blame everything but themselves or just luck. Something is going to die and what better prize than the reason why he didn't fill his tag....$6000 grand says something is going to die
Anyone stalking a trophy moose isn't going to shoot a round unless there are no moose to be had that day .

"that's why we aren't seeing any moose.....kill it"......."go ahead, we will say he was coming right at us "

While it's true that the guide might have thought that way, I doubt that Bob did.

He has a nice trophy moose he took with that same Outfitter a few years back.

I think he's been hunting there 3 times in the past 10 years.

you want to talk about a dangerous animal.....a moose is it man. They will stamp out a bear.....nothing effs with moose.

your a loyal friend, that's a good thing......your boss is lucky you got his back. I aint saying anything I wouldn't say to anyone's face. I can say awesome and call you a liar with a smile on my face.......friendly like. Then you call someone a liar unfriendly like.....I was being friendly but two things....one is text and deciphering how someone feels when they type it, second is my delivery leaves some to be desired.....people close to me tell me this so its ok.....I realize I am not the most tactful. Its a side effect of my occupation, it also has some effect in my life when I email my boss.....need help with the delivery in text sometimes but if you can put up with me I bring a whole lot to the table and am loyal like you.....so they put up with me lol

Last edited:
Oli, I'm not always 100% sure what you're telling me, but I find no malice in you.

I also know that nobody tells tall tales like hunters and fishermen & maybe truckers. ;) So it's natural that when one tells some odd tale that it's not always believed. Lots of them should start with, "You ain't going to believe this but..." :rolleyes:

Oli, one of the reasons that I don't go hunting is that I did go moose hunting once. Except it really wasn't exactly moose hunting at all.

I graduated high school on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. This "hunt" was mostly an excuse for five recent high school graduates to take off in a boat with guns and Molson Canadian beer and go poaching across the border. These guys were locals and had been hunting many times. I had only hunted small animals out in the Arizona desert.

We took an open 16' fishing boat across the Rainy River and out around Lake of the Woods to some large island. There's a Thousand Islands on that lake with no names.

One of the guys loaned me an old shotgun. We had three deer rifles and two shotguns.

We landed the boat and walked up the bank and over a small hill. We came out of the trees at one edge of a little clearing maybe only a hundred fifty yards from the lake.

On the other side was a Bull moose smashing up branches and making a lot of noise. I'd never seen one except in a zoo. Maybe we smelled pretty bad like beer by then LOL and he turned and looked at us. Amazingly nobody spoke.

All five of us raised our guns and shot him at once. Nobody had ear plugs and we were all deaf for 5 minutes after that. That moose got hit by two shotgun slugs, two .30-30s and a 30-'06 all at once. We were so close that nobody missed.

Unfortunately nobody missed the intestines either.

It took us 15 minutes to find and shoot a moose.

It took over 3 hours to hang it, dress it, drag it back to the boat, and consume the remainder of the beer. Fortunately was almost all downhill. We had one rope from the boat and we literally drug that moose whole, over the mud and leaves.

We put five guys and a gutted moose which still probably weighed over 400 pounds in a 16 foot aluminum boat with the head hanging over the bow, and snuck it back across the border in the dark, everybody totally drunk by then on Canadian beer. We had about 4 inches of freeboard with all that weight and when the waves started to come up we were talking about who was going to go in the water so we could save the moose. Nobody did, and we made it back okay, and hung the moose in my friend's dad's boat house.

Moose are stinky creatures but I think a moose actually smells worse when you're drunk. What's worse is the 400 pounds of moose poop which you discover when you shoot one through the intestines with shotguns.

Field dressing that moose was one of the worst jobs I ever did. There was a pile of guts and moose poop the size of a pony when we got done.

I never did eat any of that moose. In fact I have never to this day eaten moose. Also I've never had a desire to go big-game hunting again. I was just so repulsed buy all that moose poop, that I just never got over it.

I still go fishing and I have no problem cleaning a fish. I buy large cuts of meat and butcher them myself. I'm not really a squeamish guy at all.

But I have absolutely no desire to butcher a large animal, ever again, and it won't bother me if I never get close enough to smell another moose.

You know the rules, Cadd: There is no poop without pics! Whacha got? Hmmm? Hmmm? :)

hell of a memory dude, sounds about right though. I have a couple good ones.

I have bought one elk tag in the last 15 years. I have only hunted one elk season in the last 15 years....no deer, nothing.
I dont have the drive to hunt like some folks do.
Know how, like to, can do......just dont, better things to do I guess and not hungry for sure, got lots of horns, some fur, some memories with my dad, some memories with my son ........just have no need
If I want to walk around the woods armed, I just do.....I can perform all the functions and just not shoot anything.

....no deer, nothing.
I dont have the drive to hunt like some folks do.
Know how, like to, can do......just dont, better things to do I guess and not hungry for sure, got lots of horns, some fur, some memories with my dad, some memories with my son ........just have no need
If I want to walk around the woods armed, I just do.....I can perform all the functions and just not shoot anything.

We are brothers you and I.

Now when it comes to other predators, as always we are still true brothers.........

@Scoop

That was 1972. I had an Instamatic camera with flash cubes.

I never took pictures of anything because it costs a fortune to get the film developed and you had to wait a week.

This is sort of sad. I only have 3 or four pictures from my college days and before. I didn't even get a high school yearbook.

Now when it comes to other predators, as always we are still true brothers.........

I'm afraid my desire to hunt quadrapeds is 99% lacking.

I could still, however, bring myself to shoot noisy geese, and also rats or any true vermin, irrespective of leg count.

@Scoop

That was 1972. I had an Instamatic camera with flash cubes.
I never took pictures of anything because it costs a fortune to get the film developed and you had to wait a week.
This is sort of sad. I only have 3 or four pictures from my college days and before. I didn't even get a high school yearbook.
I guess the sweet spot for photography was from 1860-1990. Before that there were approximately zero pictures. After that there are approximately an infinite amount of pictures. The early ones are priceless; the later ones are worthless.
'Nuff said. This should probably be in its own thread.

yeah we are I know what you are thinking and you know what kind of animals need thinning

Back