• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

words to live by...

Thank You for posting that.

I am in occasional conflict with brother officers simply because I believe that I am just a citizen with some cool gear watching over other citizens.

I believe that a person has the right to just be out walking no matter what time of day it is. Maybe I'll try to get their ID and make a note of their presence where and when I think it's suspicious. But I won't run them off or chase them out of town just because they are walking or hanging out where I don't think they ought to be. It is America, dammit. The Land of the Free.

Hell, every year when I go to the Sheriff's Office and plunk down my money for a CCW Permit. They tell me that I don't have to get a permit 'cuz I am exempt.

No, I tell them, I am not exempt. I'm a citizen like the rest of you with some expanded authority and I simply want to pay my money for the license to carry a concealed weapon. I tell them that if nothing else I'm giving a charitable donation to the General Fund at the SO.

Thanks for starting this thread!!!!

nitesite said:
Thank You for posting that.

I am in occasional conflict with brother officers simply because I believe that I am just a citizen with some cool gear watching over other citizens.

I believe that a person has the right to just be out walking no matter what time of day it is. Maybe I'll try to get their ID and make a note of their presence where and when I think it's suspicious. But I won't run them off or chase them out of town just because they are walking or hanging out where I don't think they ought to be. It is America, dammit. The Land of the Free.

Hell, every year when I go to the Sheriff's Office and plunk down my money for a CCW Permit. They tell me that I don't have to get a permit 'cuz I am exempt.

No, I tell them, I am not exempt. I'm a citizen like the rest of you with some expanded authority and I simply want to pay my money for the license to carry a concealed weapon. I tell them that if nothing else I'm giving a charitable donation to the General Fund at the SO.

Thanks for starting this thread!!!!

Thank you for your service and feeling the way that you do in this regard. I don't think that I have ever read anything approaching what you have just penned and am not certain that I will ever again even if many in your profession feel exactly as you do. There is a tremendous amount of untapped opportunity to make this country even greater than it once was merely in improved communications between law enforcement and the general public. If more citizens put theirselves in your shoes and believed posts such as your own were the norm we'd solve a lot of problems very quickly and frankly for good in many cases.

Oh great...now he's a wanted man... :)

This is a great topic. If only more people were like Nitesite. I am proud to "know" you. And honored to have you watch over us.

+1 Rip. My home town had a cop, one cop. Bill the cop was his name and he didn't carry a gun. The man was a part of the community.....the bar had dozens of bullet holes in it , from the inside out, more guns than phones....and everyone just kind of listened to him. Once he finally hung up the hat it got uglier. The first guy was from New York, lasted about 8 months and then the next guy and so on and so forth some stayed a couple years…….Its all about respect on both ends and it helps if the “law” is part of the community…….

On a semi related note...I have often thought about being a En-Con Officer (Game Warden) over the past few months. I am growing weary of construction after 25+ years. As I type this....I'm looking into the classes? regs for it. I really need a change of scenery.

Back