• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Would a loose front action screw casue this?

andy38340

.22LR
Hello folks.

I recently acquired 2 MVP Predators, a 5.56 and a 7.62. Had both out this past weekend sighting them at 25 yards before I went any further with them. The 5.56 got right on the black no problem. The 7.62 was not as good as 5.56. I was taking my time between shots, but I'm not a professional.

When I got back home, I noticed the front action screw was barely finger tight. I'm pretty sure this is what caused my poor grouping. I tried 150, 165 and 180s. The best group was with the 150gr Winchester SP.

The pics are below. The first one is from the 5.56.

Edit. I guess what I'm asking is if the bolt was loose, would it cause this type of group?

Attachments

• 5.56.jpg
    5.56.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.62.jpg
    7.62.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
A loose front action screw could absolutely cause vertical stringing. Make sure you torque them evenly to the manufacturers spec. If Mossberg does not specify a torque value, I usually go with 45 inch pounds front and rear. I do not own a Mossberg rifle so maybe someone else has more insight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

The only reason I checked the front screw is because I was attempting to get the barrel more centered with the stock. I found the correct allen wrench and when I went to loosen the front screw, it spun with with no effort. I guess I need to invest in a torque wrench.

Back