• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wounding/killing wood

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Kinda bored while on my lil pistolrange, so I had some oak wood rounds 2+" thick. Decided on,quick,useless experiment. See pictures of entry and exit with FMJ vs JHP and .45 vs 9mm. I did final shot with 20gauge slug, sorry wasnt taking time to pick up all the chunks scaterred about. Bottom line if you are attacked by oak wood use shotgun slug. And jhp is better than fmj in wood. However, all of,these projos are better than,harsh language. Screenshot_2018-12-18-13-06-57.jpg 1218181228a~3_20181218131531579.jpg That is all

Last edited:
Decided I should also add the baby .380 to the experiment, well hmmm ya know I tote this thing 24/7 365. Fmj nor jhp made it thru, il disect and retrieve bullets. Uno Momento1218181415(1).jpg 1218181414.jpg

Ok autopsy from .380, the jHp basically filled with wood becoming an fmj went about 2" no exit no expansion. The FMJ went 3" almost exited just shy of it soooooo.... You decide how to load and employ the lil fella, I myself am reevaluating 380 ammo selection also for defense against chunks of Oak :) ymmv. I'm just havin some fun
1218181434(1).jpg 1218181435(1).jpg

Sounds like you've had a fun day. I'm thinking about taking my 45 out tomorrow evening if it's not raining just for some trigger time.

It wouldn't be the first time. I just don't want a backset on the cold I had last week this close to Christmas. That would put me out of going to see my Mom and eating dinner with everyone.

It wouldn't be the first time. I just don't want a backset on the cold I had last week this close to Christmas. That would put me out of going to see my Mom and eating dinner with everyone.
That leaves one choice, sit in truck,heat on window down double ear pro, WINDOW DOWN !!! :) let em fly

That's advice that sounds like it's coming from a man that knows what he's talking about.

Back