• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

WOW! Florida has Hunting for birds

I really miss quail hunting. I did a lot of it when I was a kid.

Back then they were so plentiful here you could, on a quiet evening in the country, call a Bob White right up in the yard.

They say there are several reasons they're gone now, not the least of which is fire ants taking over their nests.

We used to be able to grouse hunt as well. I had such a good time doing that growing up. Now, on the rare occasion that I even see one, I won't even lift my barrel.

We still see quail and Partridge around here from time to time but mostly ducks and geese.

Lots of Canadian Honkers.

There are several man-made ponds within a mile of my house so there is quite a bit of waterfowl action.

We had about 4 inches of rain last week and all those ponds have filled up quite a bit, and when I drove by yesterday there were lots and lots of geese on the ground.

Of course you can't shoot anywhere Within 10 miles at my house unless you're at a range, and I only know of two: one for pistols and one for archery.

To shoot water-fowl you got to go out in the Westlands.

I have seen the same thing here with the sea birds like pelicans and other water birds on roofs of homes and wow what a stink...

They are so bad at the lake we go to in the summer the agency in charge of the lake made October and open season on them. For one month folks could shoot as many as they wanted. That helped, but they multiply like rabbits as there really are no natural predators to speak of.

Many years ago 3 lakes management area near lake Kissimmee and Marion had a healthy quail population. Ive not been there since the late 70's

Back