• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wrist brace

I don't use an actual brace, but I sometimes shoot with an old pair of batting gloves. The closure around the wrist provides a bit of added support when I shoot my big bore handguns. I could see using a purpose-built shooting brace, but would be leary of anything too rigid. You don't want anything that would compromise your natural grip...

I agree about the natural grip part.

Is it just wrist support you need? Is there a particular firearm you need it for or every firearm?

I wonder if you could do just a wrist wrap, maybe an ace wrap thingy?

What are the actual symptoms? I know we may be getting off topic a little, but it almost sounds as if there may some other underlying issue.

Firearms and shooting doesnt bother me, as long as I'm not white knuckling my guns and I take breaks periodically. Other high impact things do. I get to where I cant grip much of anything and in fact, just trying to grip something for long periods of time (like my MIG and TIG guns at work) will cause my hands to not work. I used to do quite a bit of leather work, but just holding the tools proved to be near impossible.

So, again out of curiosity, what are the syptoms, like pain in certain parts of your hand? Unable to grip anything else from fatigue?

Given that there is the carpal tunel issue, the repeated recoil management could be the issue. I would suggest a simple ace bandage snug over the wrist and palm for starters and make sure to take breaks from time to time. If this helps, then you would want to look for a better fitted solution. I can ask here at work what options are avialable. (I work within a durable medical equipment supply company)

Lemmie see what I can dig up.

Try going to a sporting goods store like Sports Authority and look at their selection of braces. They have all kinds for active people with carpal tunnel, and they would be much less expensie than a medical brace. I did a quick web search and found these;

http://www.sportsauthority.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1798555

Go try a few on at the store and see how they feel and may or may not interfere with the particular firearms you want to shoot.

You also might want to try a heavier firearm, or smaller caliber to accomidate the wrist in question. Unfortunately I understand that this is just something that you will have to adapt to in your own way, cause it ain't going away and you don't want to make it worse.

And as always, talk to your doctor and explain what your needs are and see if he/she can offer any advice.

Thanks for the info Ripsnortr. Didn't even know we had a Sports Authority in our area till I checked their store locator.

Ahhhh... carpal tunnel is exactly what I had figured! I knew there had to be a reason!

Good lookin out RipSnortr!

Hope yall are able to find somethin that will help! Breaks periodically def help too! My hands get cramped so that I cant move my fingers, the arthritis makes my joints stiff and painful plus pain and numbness... good news is you can work with it! Jackhammering used to TOTALLY BLOW!!!

When you start to feel the telltale pain, take a break and get your hands moving, lower your arms and let the blood get to them. Hopefully some sort of support and padding to take and distribute the impact will do the trick!

What about the grips on the firearms as a last resort?

Same here with calcium deposits in both my wrists from old breaks. Doesn't bother me as much shoot'n handguns as much as it does with long guns, but it can still get pretty painfull after a while. To Brad's point, breaks do help. Allow yourself plenty of time to rest and slow things down a bit overall. Hope you're able to find something that helps...

Yep, pain from old broken bones will come back again and again, usually becoming arthritic.

For me with the long guns, ergonomics makes a great deal of difference, like the AFG and even shortening the LOP on my 590A1. The AR is EASY! I use the magwell for my forward grip and (Thanks LES) I have the CAA pistol grip with nice filled out palm swells! That and a low recoiling gun... easy to handle with little or no discomfort.

1911's grips can also be customized to fit... well I guess there are other guns too that are customizable! :D

We'll get yall figured out! ;)

Ty so much for all the advice! Im deff going to look into the braces and Im starting to figure If im going to keep up my fav hobby the im going to have to "man up"

Back