• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

XI Velocity Extreme

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I'm hopin yall who know more about this stuff can help me out.

I may find myself the new owner of a Velocity Extreme. Now, I don't know a darn thing about bows, but I'm willin to give em a try. I don't honestly know with some of the problems I have with arthritis ill even be able to draw it, its been years since I drew a compound bow.

I've heard both good and bad about the Velocity series bows from XI. Anyone have any first hand experience or even any basic knowledge that would help me sort through the information? Things like strings blowin, limbs breakin and somethin about the lobes touching the strings at full draw? This suff was among the bad I found, while some say never an issue.

From what I can find online about the bow it looks like it probably has some age to it. Much like a firearm, what you have to look for all depends on how well it was taken care of. Limbs exploding are pretty rare......give them a look over for any obvious cracking or delaminating on the edges. Give the string and cables a thorough inspection, if they look "fuzzy" or dried out it's time to replace them. Take a close look at the serving around the string where it goes over the cams.....it should be tight with no big gaps in it. What you mentioned about the lobes contacting the string refers to the "timing" of a two-cam setup.....as a bow is shot and ages the string and cables tend to have a bit of stretch which causes the cams to get out of time. Basically one cam will be in a different place in its rotation in respect to the other cam. Sometimes the difference is big enough to eyeball at brace heigth but sometimes it helps to have someone watch as you draw the bow back to see if the cams are mirroring each other. You could also measure from the string to the flat on the cam......If your bow is out of timing a decent bow-tech can fix it in a few minutes. They'll do it anyways if you have them replace the strings. One EXTREMELY IMPORTANT thing to have checked out is if the bow is the proper draw length for you.....too short and it is uncomfortable and not as accurate......too long and you will have markings on your forearm that make a scope punched eye look like a scratch. LoL

As far as the arthritis goes, back the weight down to the bottom end of the range and see if you can handle it. Proper draw technique can help a lot because it will have most of the strength coming from your upper back muscles instead of your shoulder or elbow. Even if you don't get hooked and start shooting all the time there is a tremendous "zen" that comes while shooting a bow that a firearm can't compare to unless you shoot extreme distances. Total focus and awareness of what every part of your body is doing and how it affects the shot.....breathing, heart rate, grip......

Hope I helped.....have fun!!

DOH, I don't know how the hell I missed this.

Tim4k5 pretty much summed it up.

Most people shoot a compound with a release. A good wrist release will transfer the weight of drawing from your fingers to to your wrist so you will be pulling with larger muscle groups. Consistent technique is still key. I use a wrist release for everything but target shooting with my compound. I haven't done that in a few years. Also the short string on a compound really pinches the fingers.

I am not familiar withthat specific bow but if it is an older one make sure you look at the limbs closely. Look for any cracks around the pins that hold the cams in place. This is a common failure point when they do go bad or if it uas ben dropped hard/frequently. Also check the limb pockets to make sure there is no play. Do you have a local bow guy that could look itover and make sure it's in good shape?

Start out at a low weight and work your way up. It's easier than one might think to hurt yourself buy pulling/holding too much until youir muscles get used to shooting again.

Ultimately, have fun.

Thanks for takin a look at this fellas!

Here's what I know about it. It isn't made anymore and is between 5 and 7 years old. It has been shot only a handful of times and never hunted with. It belongs to friend of mine who is in some ways like a long lost brother that I just met a few years ago.

I do have a very good bow place not too far from here and its actually on the way to the fams farm, I can have them look at it. They're a full service place and do a lot of trading with the Amish and set up bows for them.

Thanks for all the info, it will def help and ill let y'all know when I get it!

I'm curious to see some pics and hear more about this bow. Always eager to find out about new stuff.

Back