• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Yes I new but what do you think about this combo

marv02

My new Shotgun is a 590 the way I going to load it for HD is first 2 rounds will be BB shot, then 2 rounds of #4 Buck, 2 rounds #0 Buck , 1 Segmented PDX, 1 round of Buck & Slug PDX round.

I live in a 4 plex type home set up the way the home is set up if I do need to fire it go though the garage then out in to a field the next home is 75 yards away after that anouther 200 yards away.

I don't want to kill of hurt one of my neighbors but if they keep on comming at us as go though the ammo worst they are going to get for them.

I also have a speed stock on this weapon what rounds should I put in them just in case the bad guys have there buddies with them.

You are running what’s known as a Dutch load....kind of. Usually it will be slug buck slug buck of variant of that.....I personally don’t like the idea because you never know what’s coming up in the tube, you won’t be able to keep track in a fight, and I don’t like the idea of the cards falling in a way to where you need the rounds in a different order for a different situation you might run into.....
I like having control of my next round and knowing for sure what’s going to be coming out of the barrel when I pull the trigger.
I much prefer to start out with the ammo most likely to be needed in the tube, then keep the side saddle loaded with the next likely round that might be needed in a given situation.
If I need to change ammo mid fight or whatever I can just load a couple in the tube from the side saddle or pocket, or drop them right into the ejection port if needed.

I read alot on Bird shot most say #8 bird shoot just not enough but I do think when they are 10 to 15 feet away from you it stop them in there tracks sorry even if just knocks the wind out of them it stop them in there tracks.

I had the wind knocked out of me it dont feel good you can't move or get up for a while meen while the cops on on there way. :ugeek:

I wanted some more knock down power so I went with the BB bird shot like I said the direction I be shooting at is my garage so I worried but not all that much cars trucks motorcycles can be replaced.

I dont know how the #4 buck shot going do going thought he garage hitting the stuff we have in it but I think the rest of my rounds will keep on going out the garage door I hope I never have to find this out. :shock:

Dude in your state, you better just let them have what they want, you go and wound a bad guy and he or she will own all your belongings and you will find yourself in their place in jail. If you are interested in wounding people who deserve to be shot then a firearm is not for you. A firearm if for dealing death not wounding people so they can sue your ass, you can do that with a baseball bat.

Okay I know a head shot murder 1 but what I was told in military if you do a head shot when they ask they tripped as you fired the gun you were aimming for body mass to stop them not kill them.

(Never admite you going for a Head Shot).

Like I said the rounds get more mean and nasty as needed.

The runnning joke was when the cops asks why did you put so many rounds in to them you responce is Officer I was scared everytime I put a round in to them they moved then the Cops reponce but you reloaded 5 times before you stopped shooting.

You say I was scared so I just making sure but they keeped on moveing when I shot them then I ran out Ammo so I stopped. :lol:

,,,,marv,,,,,,load it up with 00 buck and pray to God you never have to use it.........but just in case some mutt kicks in your front door to rob you and rape the women in your home,,,,,,,make sure you greet them with what they deserve. have a happy and healthy new year.

When I was in the military always 2 rounds at a time (double tap) if they dont stop 2 more round until the threat is no longer a threat.

I will let them know this part of my military training and after all these years I still do as I was trained to do. :D

.....like i said 00 buck...... and thank you for your service.

Thanks

How about #4, #0, Slug, Slug/Buck shot combo.

The last 2 Slug PDX and Slug Buck Shot just in case there wearing a vest.

old mossy said:
,,,,marv,,,,,,load it up with 00 buck and pray to God you never have to use it.........but just in case some mutt kicks in your front door to rob you and rape the women in your home,,,,,,,make sure you greet them with what they deserve. have a happy and healthy new year.

marv02 said:
Okay I know a head shot murder 1 but what I was told in military if you do a head shot when they ask they tripped as you fired the gun you were aimming for body mass to stop them not kill them.

Like I said the rounds get more mean and nasty as needed.

The runnning joke was when the cops asks why did you put so many rounds in to them you responce is Officer I was scared everytime I put a round in to them they moved then the Cops reponce but you reloaded 5 times before you stopped shotting.

You say I was scared so I just making sure but they keeped on moveing when I shot them then I ran out Ammo so I stopped. :lol:

That post was awesome! Sheer ballz.

Totally have to agree with Oli and Mossy. Once you have made the decision that a threat is severe enough to justify the use of deadly force that is exactly what the goal should be. Leveling the business end of your shotty at a bad guy means you have decided that the threat is severe enough to use deadly force so the first round out of the tube should be ready to put the perp down......Never expect a firearm to "scare away" the bad guy simply by its appearance. Once the decision is made to squeeze the trigger you fire until the threat is neutralized.......

Personally, I load my shotgun with Low Recoil 00 front to back and keep the same on the sidesaddle. I don't see a significant difference between 00 and slug at "inside my home" distances to justify a mixed load and different recoil profiles from round to round. Those differences do show up at longer distances.....just not at what I would encounter.

marv02 said:
My new Shotgun is a 590 the way I going to load it for HD is first 2 rounds will be BB shot, then 2 rounds of #4 Buck, 2 rounds #0 Buck , 1 Segmented PDX, 1 round of Buck & Slug PDX round.

I live in a 4 plex type home set up the way the home is set up if I do need to fire it go though the garage then out in to a field the next home is 75 yards away after that anouther 200 yards away.

I don't want to kill of hurt one of my neighbors but if they keep on comming at us as go though the ammo worst they are going to get for them.

I also have a speed stock on this weapon what rounds should I put in them just in case the bad guys have there buddies with them.

depending on your shooting accuracy, id go with 1oz slugs or 00buck for backup stopping power :cool: .

Not that anyone asked, but my primary shells are #1 buck. The last couple are PDX12 buck/slug combos. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Every training class I have taken, and there have been a few, always stated the same thing. Load the tube with the same rounds, and have the side saddle load with something different. I have 00 buck in the tube and 3 slugs/ 3 00 buck on the saddle. In most HD situations slugs are not needed. And the bird shot thing has been beat to death.
I will say if you pull your weapon it is to kill not to wound.

Id never say you're shootin to kill, but to stop the threat. Immediately.

Birdshot is for birds, maybe other small game. If your home and family are threatened, I can't see any advantage to runnin and gunnin.

I know NiteSite prefers slugs. In my enviroment, and at close (home defense/self defense) ranges, I prefer 00 buck. There are advantages to multiple large caliber projectiles. You need to do your own independent pattern testing for any load you may consider for a defensive round, but my philosophy is every projectile on target at my specific ranges I may encounter.

I haven't personally liked the patterns of the PDX1 and I don't care for the smaller projectiles in there, the seemed to spread beyond the target for me. On the other hand, FliteControl and VersaTite loads from low recoil to full power have performed well. These are my experiences, more an example, to emphasize an importance on testing loads personally.

But please don't buy that a round or two of birdshot can save your life, its a gamble at best.

Back