• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Your .22 rifles

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
What rimfire rifles (.22LR) do you really enjoy owning, even if you don't get to shoot them all that often?

Had a Ruger 10-22 way way back that I enjoyed plinking with. Like most everything I gave up when I became a new father, I sold it to my little brother, which allowed me access to shooting it, while still maintaining the aire of responsibility that she who must be obeyed demanded. Of course she also took on that responsibility, letting her dad hold on to her H&K .308 for when we all went camping together. Lol. Have been checking out .22s a lot lately now that my grandson has taken an interest in shooting.

I actually only have 2 .22LR rifles.
A Savage FXP that I bought for my wife. She decided she didn't like long guns so I made it mine. I've added leftover parts to customize it for me.
I also have a Mossy 715T that has been reliable and fun with the 25 rnd. magazine.

riflecase1.jpg

Mossberg715tscoped.jpg

Had a whole bunch over the years. Several 10/22s including a target modded with chassis stock and bull barrel, a few Marlin 60s including a SS with wood stock (regret selling that one), an old bolt action (forget the make), a couple Mossy 715Ts, and maybe a couple I've forgotten about. Current inventory is a Henry H001 lever with fiber optic front sight, Rem 597 "Chameleon" and a small Rossi single-shot break action with .22 and .410 barrels. Been thinking about making a lupara out of that one... :D

There are four or five single shot Springfields here, from the 1940s and 1950s.

And a 10/22 my FIL bought and gave to me. And I bought a Ruger American Rimfire .22LR which is a great little bolt rifle.

My favorite in my small collection is a pristine and beautiful Marlin 39A. It is worth a lot but will never be for sale.

Cool looking plinkster. But how in the heck do you manage a cheek weld with that scope so high on top of the carry handle?

I took it off. I just use the factory sights now. If I can find a 715T flat top body I may swap it.
I have a cheap red dot I'm going to try.
like this guy...

Last edited:
If I can find a 715T flat top body I may swap it.
Here was my second TAC-22, a flat-top. First one had the built-in handle, etc. This one came with metal sights that clamped onto the pic rail and the barrel had a flash hider. NOTE that I have a cheek weld piece from ATI, I don't know if they still sell them. It was a screw on. I also went through and smoothed all the sharp edges with tools shown.

PS: upon closer inspection, it would appear I don't have the ATI cheek riser installed. The brackets are there, but the upside-down "U" shaped piece that straddled the stock is not installed. I couldn't find any pics with it installed.

tac5.jpg
tac3.jpg
tac1.jpg
tac2.jpg
tac4.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned a few 22s in my time. My favorite is whichever I'm shooting at the time. Mostly teaching kids and grandkids. That's better than the guns themselves.

I've had and still got several .22rf rifles... I used to shoot target rimfire with an Anshutz 1813 (Sp?) for several years until my back started to give out and i went to the more genteel pistol shooting :D

When we lost pistols I had to go back to rifles and had a little Miroku underlever.. I think a Japaneses copy of a Marlin 39A..?
When the novelty of that wore off, I bought a 10/22 from a friend... 25 years later I still had it, but the only original part was the reciever..!
The 10/22 was sold early this year in p/x for a Kriss DMK22 that I love.

I also have a Walther/Umarex MP5, made under licence from HK, and a CZ452 for precision work (although I'm probably going to change that for a Tikka T1x in the near future..)

Honestly, I really like my Mossberg 702. So much so, I bought a second one (two is one, one is none). I also bought the 25 round mags for them. They worked too! I have a Marlin lever action .22lr too, but honestly, I prefer shooting the 702s. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have one 10/22.
I taught my son to shoot with it. Rifles are better than handguns to start with in my opinion.
Actually, for initial training, I like to use bolt actions better.

And, @JRExplorer3 , the "cheap red dot" on my 10/22 works really great.

I have one 10/22.

Actually, for initial training, I like to use bolt actions better.

I learned to shoot a gun which was grand dad's single shot bolt action .22 rifle with iron sights. He owned a vacation island on the Gulf Coast and we threw coconuts off the dock and shot at them as they floated further and further away. Gosh I miss those days.

Back