• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Your favorite slug!

Blood_Trail

.270 WIN
For you slug shooters out there, what are your favorite slugs for hunting, defense, etc? I love the Remmy Accra-Tips in 3 in mag. I think for poops and giggles, I'll try those Winchester Supremes. My application is for hunting. What's yalls fav???

I like the plain ole Remington sluggers and the Buckhammers. Althought the buckhammers did not appear in the last catalog so I'm not sure if they are still available.

I played around with some hornady SST's but I only had a rifled choke tube and produced less than desireable results. I have severe keyholing at only 50 yards.

Here in MI we can use a ML during the firearm deer season so I tend to use that over a shotgun when I hunt in the shotgun only zones. ( the use of rifles for deer in MI is restricted to only northern parts of the state)

Brenneke slugs against big game are always good.

Same with self defense.

I would load and carry Brenneke if there was some sort of state bid contract that my department could get into for "the slug load" I wanted.

As it is, we're really happy and totally confident with Federal TRU-BALL 1-oz low recoil slugs from our Mossberg shotguns.

+1 on the Federal Tru-ball slugs! I almost thought about using those for hunting but I use:

Brenneke KO slugs (not sabot) for hunting White Tail
Brenneke Black Magic Mags for White Tail when in thick stuff (knocks down A LOT before stopping)

Remmy Sluggers for Poops and Shoots :D

No slugs for me in HD. #4 buck on top of 00 Buck

I was playing around with some Brenneke Magnum 3" slugs for my 20 guage over the weekend.

I had a couple boxes I had picked up to try out and after the first run through I'm pretty impressed

DayAtTheRange.jpg

Shots were off hand ranging from 10-45 yards. The 45 yard shot was slightly braced off the hood of my vehicle all the others were shot offhand. Based on this I'm curions to see what they would do from a stable braced postion and at longer yardages.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy of these slugs.

I was shooting these from a Mossberg 500c w/ 22" smoothbore barrel and an improved cylinder choke tube. The sights are Williams Fire Sights.

The two smaller holes were from the Brenneke wads that didn't penetrate the tape a close range. One of the larger holes was also from a wad. I had to look close to see which was which. The slugs left slight ridges from the rifling.

These slugs also passed completely through a chair, across the width through all the padding of the cushion, before embedding themselves in the mound behind it. I love shooting at a dump. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always wondered how the 20ga slugs would do! I know a lot of guys buy the Savage 220 and shoot the sabots out of them, but never really was sure how they would preform! Thanks for the Picture!

How are those Williams sights?

Itsricmo said:
How are those Williams sights?

I like them a lot. I have them on my HD gun as well. They mount easily to the rib, and glow pretty bright.

I'll keep that in mind! I think Rossignol said he has Truglo's on his daughters .410 and said they are pretty good too! I was looking at Williams for when I get a Slug Barrel to replace the OEM Rifle Sights..

Sorry for the momentary Thread Jacking! :p

WHOA!! They really hit 1800 fps??? I have seen "High Velocity" on the box, but never cared to check them out... that is worth seeing :p

Can't say if they really hit 1800 ft/sec, but that's what is written on the box.

I like 'em and prefer these over the standard 1 oz sluggers. 7/8 is basically an ounce in my book. But, of course, nothing wrong with 1 oz sluggers. I have plenty of those, too.

they do have a little more pop in them, but accuracy is the same as far as i can tell. my gun range is only about 50 ft. i'm using an 18" smooth bore cylinder. i got to find an outdoor place somewhere, soon.

i get them at midwayusa. it's a little expensive (5 shells for about $4.50, plus shipping), but they do have a great selection of shotgun ammo.

there's even a 3" version of the same high velocity slug (i haven't tried those). i think these slugs are meant for hunting.

I thought the ones you had were the 3".. I wonder what the FPS for the 3" is... Some research is in the making :D

Also you are suppose to sight Slugs in @ 50yds and 2-3/4" high. Should put you about "dead nuts" at 100yds. The reason for 50yds is the slugs going from Super Sonic to Subsonic, and the slugs yawing after passing that barrier. I have only taken peoples words for it, and have only sighting in at 50yds. Worked pretty well for my H&R Slug Gun. Just some info for ya :p

my gun range is 50 FEET, not YARDS, for max distance. it's an indoor pistol range that allows shotguns too.

thanks for the tip. will have to find some time to go out to BLM and shoot slugs at distance.

OHH! My apologies, Sir! Yeah that kind of sucks. :/ Sight in 4"s high? haha just kidding...

Yeah, I would be in the business of finding a new range :D

Remington Slugger 1 oz 3" Shell
Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1760 fps
Muzzle Energy: N/A

Remington Slugger 7/8 oz 3" Shell
Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1875 fps
Muzzle Energy: 2989 ft. lbs

*Taken from MIDWAYUSA.com

The 3" 7/8oz has 115fps on the 1oz. But probably a little less recoil.

I have a few boxes of those. They're aren't much fun to shoot (it is a slug after all) and I don't see much use for them over the standard 1560fps shells.

I enjoy slugs :) I have a method of rolling my shoulder with the recoil on the heavier loads. They still hit the same and don't rock me as bad. It took me a while and I still misplace the butt-stock and really whack myself sometimes haha

I bought a few boxes of federal copper solids on sale in 2.75. They sucked out of my 835 with the rifles barrel. Couldn't hold 5 inches at 25 yards! I stick with my accua-tips. I can cloverleaf shots all day at 100 yards with that setup

Back