• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Your favorite slug!

Do y'all have any pics of slug carnage pics on animals? I'm primary a bow hunter and only shot one doe with a slug 3 years back. I'll start first:
Gun: mossberg 835 rifled barrel cantilever scope mount
Glass: 1.5-4 Bushnell From Dusk Till Dawn scope
Slugs: Remington 385 gr accu-tip 3 inch mag
Range: 103 yards ranged off-hand
Animal: whitetail doe 111lbs dressed
Kill: double lung shoot mid body. .5 inch hole in and out. Nothing special. But blood trail was pretty awesome:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380282410.092241.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380282410.092241.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 188
I don't. I've yet to take any game with a slug from a shotgun. So far It's all been targets, vegetables and various junk yard objects. My choices have been based on how well they group as opposed to how well that perform on impact.

In the shotguns zones here we are allowed to use a muzzleloader so I tend to use that as it extends my range considerably. My other hunting location is in the rifle zone so I primarily use my '06.

Last year I took my 500C bear hunting just to do something different but I never got a shot at anything, just a bunch of trail cam pics of mom and a cubs taken after dark.

Blood_Trail said:
Animal: whitetail doe 111lbs dressed
Kill: double lung shoot mid body. .5 inch hole in and out. Nothing special. But blood trail was pretty awesome:

This is one truly outstanding post and photo!!! Thanks! :cool:

MikeD said:
I don't. I've yet to take any game with a slug from a shotgun. So far It's all been targets, vegetables and various junk yard objects. My choices have been based on how well they group as opposed to how well that perform on impact.

In the shotguns zones here we are allowed to use a muzzleloader so I tend to use that as it extends my range considerably. My other hunting location is in the rifle zone so I primarily use my '06.

Last year I took my 500C bear hunting just to do something different but I never got a shot at anything, just a bunch of trail cam pics of mom and a cubs taken after dark.

Mike get u a rifled barrel and some decent glass. That will stretch you out to muzzle loading range and maybe a little further. If you have a smart phone, download the best ballistic app available by Nikon called SpotOn. You can enter virtually every caliber and bullet on the market today. You can even enter custom hand loads info. Once ur in the field, u press the atmospheric conditions and automatically adjusts for you windage dope. This is such a useful tool. Here's an example:

I loaded in SpotOn my caliber (.12 ga), slug type (accu-tips 3inmag) and the distance I wanted to zero in my shotgun. Since at the time, I only had 100 yard to work with, it lets you adjust for your actual target distance. So in this case, I wanted a 175 yard zero using a 100 yard range. So the app told me to adjust my dope for a little over 5 inches high at 100 for a 175 zero.

Later, I went to a different range that stretches out to 250 yards. After shooting 3 inch groups at 175 yards (using a cadwell lead sled) I wanted to see if I could drop one in at 200 yards. Using the app, it said I had to go another 2+inches high at 175 for a 200 yard zero. True to form, I was able to put all 3 slugs within 4 inches at 200 yards.

You can email and print these charts out. I have then taped on the scope caps on my remmy 700 BDL .300 win mag.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380293121.067642.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380293121.067642.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 151
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380293324.650662.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380293324.650662.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 151
I just PM'd a guy today on another forum about a used 500A barrel w/ scope. I want put it on my 835 and see how it groups.

I really need to get more familiar with these ballistics apps.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Just for clarification A 500A barrel is not a direct swap on a 835 receiver. The magazine tube also needs to be replaced with a 500A magazine tube. I have all the necessary parts. I just don't want to mislead anyone. ;) /MikeD.

Is that app for lack of a better term "calibrated" to Nikon scopes? Or is the info generic and can be used with others?

dieselmudder said:
Is that app for lack of a better term "calibrated" to Nikon scopes? Or is the info generic and can be used with others?
Yes and no. While I don't have a Nikon scope, the ballistic s are the same. And if u do have a Nikon scope, then ur in the money. A scope has nothing to do with ballistic.

I will vote for Brenneke. I have used them successfully on deer. I carry them in a smoothbore and have had good accuracy out of my 20ga with rifled barrel.

Blood_Trail said:
dieselmudder said:
Yes and no. While I don't have a Nikon scope, the ballistic s are the same. And if u do have a Nikon scope, then ur in the money. A scope has nothing to do with ballistic.

That's true. Same goes if you're using the old peep sights or adjustable iron sights. The software just does your thinking for you. If memory serves, 1 click on the military peep sight was 1" @ 100 hundred yards (elevation), with some consideration for angle of fire and tail or head winds, etc. . It's been many years tho, so my memory may be wrong. Windage compensation depended on how well you read the signs between you and the target which took a lot of practice. A well maintained dope book was essential.

Okay. I just was wondering if it told which mil dot or reticle line to use for a given model of scope. Being a Nikon app didn't know if it had selections of their various models.

dieselmudder said:
Okay. I just was wondering if it told which mil dot or reticle line to use for a given model of scope. Being a Nikon app didn't know if it had selections of their various models.
It has EVERY scope Nikon makes on that app!

GunnyGene said:
Blood_Trail said:
dieselmudder said:

That's true. Same goes if you're using the old peep sights or adjustable iron sights. The software just does your thinking for you. If memory serves, 1 click on the military peep sight was 1" @ 100 hundred yards (elevation), with some consideration for angle of fire and tail or head winds, etc. . It's been many years tho, so my memory may be wrong. Windage compensation depended on how well you read the signs between you and the target which took a lot of practice. A well maintained dope book was essential.
Semper Fi, Gunny. Former leatherneck here. 97-06. Oohrah....

Back