• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Your objections to wax slugs?

Tom396

.30-06
I've made several wax slugs by mixing birdshot with molten candle wax. I open the crimp and then massage the crimp back into place after refilling. They have performed quite well out of my double barrel 12 gauge. So far, I've seen no sign of any wax residue build up in the barrel(s). Anybody dislike these wax slugs? I think I'm pretty well sold. Take care. Tom Worthington

Hi, Tom~

It's no secret here that I am a big proponent of shotgun slugs so it shouldn't surprise anyone if I say that this technique is a fascinating subject. These things hit like a friggin' freight train.

Your observation that there is no wax residue in the barrel comes as no surprise to me, since the plastic shot wad envelopes the whole wax/lead shot mixture so only the normal plastic contact with the bore would occur.

Lotta fun, shootin slugs of any type!!!!!!!!!!

Tom396, nitesite. If you like the waxers wait till you get a load of the hot glue rounds !!! I've been processing standard field loads ( FEDERAL MP12 7.5, WINCHESTER U 128 ) into hot glue slugs.
( I apologize to John A. He said it much better than I could,so I borrowed his disclaimer" Well, I should probably start with a disclaimer before I go any farther. No one is responsible for anything you do except you. If you do not fully understand the consequences, or do attempt to try anything discussed from this sentence on, you should know that it is not endorsed by anyone here, or any manufacturer, or industry representative and is possible that you could lose life or limb in doing so."<this is from John A.

It is not implied as being safe, and there is no accredited data accepting any of this information. If anything, is prohibited. And with reason so don't do it.

The hot glue bonds the shot to the the wad and in turn the wad seems to keep the rounds from tumbling. We have shot 200+rds. during our range days and can truthfully say that the bores are as clean as if we were shooting regular bird shot.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more of the process of mixing shot and hot glue together. Maybe you can start a new thread if you'd be incliined to share.

Interesting experiments, but other than just for fun, or possible lower cost per round (not counting the time and materials to do this), what's the point? Is such a diy slug more effective than say a Brenneke? Given the absence of established design such as foster or brenneke that ensures stability in flight, do these diy slugs tumble or go off course? Are they acceptable in choked barrels and/or rifled barrels?

Interesting experiments, but other than just for fun, or possible lower cost per round (not counting the time and materials to do this), what's the point? Is such a diy slug more effective than say a Brenneke? Given the absence of established design such as foster or brenneke that ensures stability in flight, do these diy slugs tumble or go off course? Are they acceptable in choked barrels and/or rifled barrels?

The only thing I see it as improvising if your in a situation where all you had was bird shot and you needed something better then bird shot, and it would only be slightly better and only really against things like humans and smaller thin skin critters at close range, inside 50 yards is my guess. I don't believe either one would penetrate flesh and bone with the fury of a slug, bet they go less then 8 inches in gel.....thinking cloths, fat, bone muscle....
No way no how would these even begin to compete with a proper slug of any sort. You wouldn't use them for predator protection, hunting any medium or big game, small game would be better gone after with the bird shot IMO, wouldn't use them for penetrating barriers to get your target....probably would be awesome if you were holed up and all you had was bird shot and you expected intruders or something........but if all you have is bird shot, a candle, a hot glue gun and power to use the glue gun in that situation then you might get what you deserve anyway or you could locate an arts and craft person and trade the candles and hot glue for some slugs

Guys, I will post a more detailed account of/for the glue rounds. ( I type soooooo slowly....you know, hunt and peck !! )

oli700 the shot is glued/bonded to the wad and does not separate. The wad SEEMS to stabilize the round by aero drag with the head being heavier and any time the round was to yaw wind resistance pushes in the opposite way.
Observation is that the rounds are not tumbling. Some of my crew and myself spent some quality time at the range, (indoor) shooting ARs, pistols and our shot guns.
The shotguns are Mossbergs 500s with 18.5" cylinder bores and we were shooting 7 ; 10, 15 and 25 yds. at standard silhouette paper targets on range hangers and were getting clean holes with very little tattering. Accuracy was to the point we both agreed that we need some sort of optics rather than the single bead we have.
<One of the crew lives out in the sticks and shot at an old microwave (lengthwise)and then at a 4'' concrete cap block. He said that the microwave "looked like Swiss cheese" and the cap block was "shattered into little bits">
This is hearsay, I wasn't there and cannot verify.( I know, "A friend of my cousin's brother",etc. )

Please have some patience I will document these.
TJ

I like to "plink" with slugs, but I don't like paying .80 a piece for them. There is a modified choke on one of my barrels and an improved choke on the other. So far, they work just fine. Also, I use these waxers in my "backyard shooting gallery", so they are safer than conventional lead slugs in that regard. Today, I was able to pick up a hundred Federal birdshot rounds, at Walmart, for $19.95. That's .20 per shell. I've been using candle wax that somebody just gave me. Take care. Tom Worthington

I am sure on of us would send you a Lee mold to borrow if you wanted. Melt the shot on an old cast iron pot, pour in mold, reinsert in the birdshot hulls and plink slugs for cheaper than wax slugs......simple process. PM me if you want I'll send you a slug mold to borrow

Back