• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Zombie pigs are coming

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I figured this post would be ok in the HD forum, since that's my main concern. Cornered our local fish and game guy at the LGS here today, and asked about the pig population in the area. I've been trying to keep track of their expansion towards my property for a few years now.

He said they were spreading faster than anything he'd ever seen, and I'd probably see them on my property within the next 2 years. Mixed feelings about this. I'll likely have to start packing my Blackhawk or Mariner when outside, just to be safe, which I don't mind too much since it could be an opportunity to have a cookout; but I'd rather not have to deal with a pig invasion and all the damage they cause. I'm certainly not of a mind to try hunting them in my woods - gettin' too old and slow for that kind of thing.

Also, I have my wife to be concerned about when she's outside in the garden, etc. She wouldn't stand a snowballs chance against a charging pig.

If the hogs arrive on your property, you said you'd be worried about your wife in the garden.

My only thought after they've been there for a few minutes is:

"What garden"

I understand your worry about your better half and I'm sure you'd take care of her and you two would take adequate precaution, but once they get there, from what I hear, everything gets destroyed and they just keep coming wave after wave from now on.

Traps only work a time or two, then it's bullets only.

Wild hogs are rumored to be pretty smart and are like roaches and are hard to get rid of.

Feral hogs have infested the area around my uncle's spread in east Texas.

They moved in there a few years ago and the population continues to grow. Bastards are smart. They've learned to stick to the thick brush in daylight where the folks in the area can't get their trucks or ATVs in. At night it's a different story. They rooted/burrowed under and compromised the foundation of my uncle's shed to the point that it had to be torn down and rebuilt. One of his neighbors has even been running helicopter hunts for the past couple years and they just can't keep up with their numbers...

Sorry to hear they are due to arrive at your place Gunny. PA doesn't have that problem but they still have an ok to shoot on sight policy.

Necessity can be a mother. Better to take the battle to them. Take care. Tom Worthington

Part of the reason they spread so fast is their breeding rate, and there just aren't enough natural predators - gators, etc. to keep the numbers down and not enough people who hunt and/or trap them. But as noted earlier, trapping only works a few times before they wise up, and hunting them in the bottoms is very difficult and dangerous (cottonmouths also live there).

Don't be too hard on the pigs, they could be our secret natural weapon against Islamic terrorists.

How about an electrified fence around the perimeter? Might help keep those d*mn kids off the lawn, too. :mad: ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

How about an electrified fence around the perimeter? Might help keep those d*mn kids off the lawn, too. :mad: ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Wouldn't work for me. I'd have to run the perimeter of 20+ acres thru heavy brush and trees. Same with any other kind of exclusion fence. Don't have the $$ for that much chain link. Thanks for thinking about options anyway. :)

Heavy brush...just what they like. This might be a good reason/excuse to get a good Gen2 night vision or thermal scope and put it on an AR-10.

They are omnivores, where ferals are,soon other game are not. I can't think of any species that benefits from them in the wilds,can you?

Back