• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Long Guns

I like them better than Sierra in my AR anyway, way cheaper too

also found in my research that they are more terminal and less likely to pencil wound due to thinner jacket ?

Had the chance to get out to the range today to sight in the SPR... and let me just say (and as you can see).... this thing freaking rocks! Conditions were ok, overcast and a little drizzle, but no wind to fight against. Range was 100m (not yards.... the 100yd mark dips at my range, covering up my bottom targets... so I had to move it up a few extra feet to get it in line) This Vortex scope is also damn good glass for the money! I'm impressed with my own shooting today, range trip and $$$$ ammo well spent! Groups are measured center to center with my new to me micrometer.
IMG_0227.JPG

Close to MOA and sub MOA on XM193 and M855????
IMG_0229.JPG

Mehh... not great, but it's PMC... so no complaints!
IMG_0230.JPG

And here we are at my last target. This Federal .223 hunting load did well, better than I thought it did through my scope. Now what you see on the left side there was the biggest surprise of the day. Right before I left Kodiak I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard from a co-worker who wanted something lighter. I heard good reports on these rifles and the factory trigger is outstanding. I went to sight in (it's got a Redfield 3-9x40 on it) and shot that 0.28" group off the bat... I got a duty call in the middle here so I wasn't able to get it zeroed in... but holly heck, almost a 1/4MOA out of a factory rifle with factory ammo? Crazy stuff... needless to say I had a good time!

IMG_0228.JPG

I finally decided to upgrade my Optisan Mamba 1-4 scope to something that would give me a better view at 300 yards. I have eye issues so every little bit helps. I selected a Burris 3-9X40 FullField II with E1 reticule and 30mm tube. I zeroed at 100 yards and then using Strelok Pro ballistics Android app I adjusted my elevation for 200 and 300 yards. 200 yards was spot on and 300 was few inches low. I used a Caldwell Rock front rest and rear bag. All and all I feel I did pretty good. Ammo is Federal AE223.

100 YRDS, 8 shots and 1 flyer at 5 0'clock

200 YRDS, 8 shots

300 YRDS, 10 shots

300 YRDS #2 12 Shots

Last edited:
This was probably going to get buried in the CMP thread so I reposted it here:

CMP Special Grade 30-06 Springfield receiver

Saturday - 33*F wind 0-5mph over cast cloudy

15448430694_3fa7ae8689.jpg

Mission - Find Zero

10 clicks up @ 100 yards :

15448430964_dde7976fd8.jpg

This setting grouped the best. Looks like POA is the very tip of the front sight blade is where POI is settling. 11 clicks up it was just too high. First shot was a cold clean barrel hitting high right on a 12" target. The rest of the bullets landed in the 4-5 MOA zone I was looking for. Very satisfied.

Mission - hit a 10" square plate at 200 yards with consistency

I placed the plate at 200 yards and painted it florescent yellow to help with identification with iron sights. Turns out when I got back to the bench the yellow was blending into the sand backstop behind it. So I was guessing where it was… Ding on the 10th shot and it hit below the clip with enough force to kick the clip out and dropped the plate.

Walked back at cease fire and flipped it over so the metal gray side showed. Made an easier target acquisition but next time I'm painting it white.

Seems I was hitting to the right at bit at 200. Happened last time even though 100 was center mass. I'm thinking its my trigger pull. In any case once I figured the best spot to hold the irons (very bottom of the plate) I was ringing in Christmas. Best group was 5/8 in the clip was BING!!!

16044931366_fe738ceb66.jpg

One of my best days wind shooting

had a 5 to 10 right to left cross wind so it moved 556 a little but I held for it

Best part of the day was impressing the BR shooters.
See they aren't much on AR's at the ol 600 yard bench but they are so friendly and welcoming that its all good.

So during the BS session I ask if its ok to go prone, they say sure with a little chuckle.
Then they see the rifle and the little scope. "only 6 power!" I let 'em pass it around "well, OK?" I explain the role of the scope and get a nod, most of them are retired vets "its a fighting scope" , "yep" I say.

So they take my boy down to the pit and show him how to run the target.....going down they tell him they see a few AR's with a lot bigger scopes than mine and they have a hard time, especially in the wind....

As I shoot my son said they started asking about my training and couldn't believe I wasn't out of the military with all the hits I was getting, what a compliment, one is an old Marine. After it all they all congratulated me and said it was probably some of the best AR shooting they have seen.

Here are some shots of today, they target doesn't look like much, and to some it isn't but to me this is awesome for a windy day and a 1-6X at 600 yards
there isn't any real grouping done today just single shots, in the wind, they pull it down mark it and hoist it back up

the old Camp White mechanism for hoisting targets, wind flag

the range, targets at the base of the grassy/oak ridge

the "competition" lol, yeah it’s a NF

the target, not one off paper, first shot is the little white patch, also was alternating between 77gr and 69 gr HPBT so their POI was different ....all done on Kentucky Windage

forgive the giddiness its just I built the gun, loaded the ammo and all, spent the day with my son so I am on cloud 9!

Yeah dude, I held just a little too much for the wind most the time but not bad considering that would be the farthest I have ever shot a gun at anything

They said that was actually 8 shots in the X ring and I shot their marker a couple times so I was stoked man

Yeah, you know ......telling ya not just the shooting but the ammo I loaded and the gun I built ads a whole new concept to the accomplishment

Badass man. whats your're recipe on the 77's? just started working with some Nosler CC last week.

Damn fine shooting! I can see how having put it ALL together yourself would make you a bit giddy.

Two thumbs up!

Back